Pot To Be Legalized In Vote In Alaska!

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Eluminate, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it's a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Preacher_X Registered Senior Member

this is good in a sense (for the police and law abiing citezens) as it would put dealers out of business if it is allowed to be sold in pubs shops etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It will also allow dealers to become legitimate, and head shops to make a fortune. Perhaps tobacco companies would cash in on this too. Even with substantial taxes, it would be cheaper than we are used to paying, so it would help the economy.

8. Phriggin' Ogre Registered Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think I'm going to Alaska for a while.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Wanna bet how long it lasts until the federal government says that this is not within a state's authority? Marijuana is classified as a schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. Schedule I is the worst of the lot. Pot is mixed right in there with heroin, morphine, and methamphetamines. Why? Good question. Ask your congressman.

How many states have passed medicinal marijuana laws only to have the rights of those laws denied by the federal government? I can tell you two at least. My state, Washington and also California.

However, there has been some leeway in this view. For instance I think that states can accord their own penalties for amounts of marijuana in possession. For instance, until recently, in Oregon under an ounce was ok. Alaska also had a lenient stance on this subject. Until recently it was ok to have any amount of marijuana in your own home. You could grow it, eat it, smoke it, do whatever. Just don't sell it. And, I think it likely that some people got busted for giving it away. Depending on the local law enforcement.

Nowadays, with the far right in power and the war on terrorism coopting the war on drugs, I can't see this bid for sanity by Alaska to make it very far. I hope it does. I hope that someday the idiots who think prohibiting marijuana is working or even worthy of being a law get it through their skulls that marijuana is not heroin, it is not methamphetamines. The days of reefer madness are far behind us, but I bet that the current administration would love to produce such classic films.

Did you know that in WWII farmers were encouraged to grow hemp for the government? Why? Because most of our hemp comes from Indonesia. With Japan taking the South Pacific our supplies of hemp were gone. Grow Hemp for Victory was a film produced by the government to teach farmers how to go about growing hemp. It was later denied that this film was ever made. Someone, maybe Jack Herer, found a copy and took it to the Library of Congress and forced them to accept it. Now the government has a copy of their own film and can't deny their hypocrisy.

Hemp is a story of tragedy. History has been rewritten. Hemp was one of the most crucial agricultural products in human history. And now, in the past 100 years, it has been erased. Wiped out as if it were a scourge.

Why? Many reasons. Many sad reasons. Many profitable reasons.

Legalize Hemp for Food, Fuel, and Fiber. (And for a bit of smokage on occasion.

)

10. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

The government needs to think for the people, that's why these laws are passed.

It might work at first, but often, one person ruins it for everyone else. Besides, don't destroy your body just because you can.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ohyeah, because pot is just so devastatingly harmful.

Cmon. What's the number one reason why marijuana is illegal? Because it's a gateway drug perchance? Because they pull up all these statistics that show how people start with pot and then move on to bigger better things?

I say right now that theory is full of shit. First of all, I can practically guarantee you that before any of these people ever even tried pot, they were drinking and smoking cigarettes. But, drinking and smoking cigarettes aren't classified as gateway drugs. Why? Because they're not illegal perhaps?

So, pot is a gateway drug because it's illegal. Because it's illegal. People are smoking pot and afraid that they're going to end up getting busted and serving jail time. They begin to associate themselves as criminals. They figure, "Hell. I'm already a criminal for doing pot. Might as well try some coke. Or maybe some smack. Just a taste of heroin." That's where the gateway comes in.

It's a vicious cycle where it's illegal because it's illegal and no other reason besides.

Fuck all the prohibitionist morons. Buckwheat say, "Mary Jane O'tay."

12. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

Invert Nexus has a couple of good posts there. Marijuana carries with it a social stigma that keeps it from being treated as it should based on its chemical makeup. Alcohol is arguably a much more noxious substance chemically but it shares none of Marijuana's legal restrictions. Most if not all of the reasons I have heard regarding why it should remain outlawed are patently ridiculous.

Although when the rank and file NORML advocate is an dirty hippy wearing a 420 t-shirt, it's not hard to understand why the decriminalization movement (NOT legalization - that means high taxes and controlled manufacture/dose limits) is not taken more seriously.

Like Bill Hicks said, "It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom. Remember that at all times."

13. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

No!

Don't legalise the weed!
    Right now it's cheap, high quality and readily available.
    Legalisation would just fuck up everything.

Think about it.
    Dee Cee

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

People can think for themselves, cognitive liberty is our birthright, and that extends to all hallucinogens. I'll smoke a blunt and pass any driving test you want to give me. Besides that, I don't see how it interferes with anyone elses rights. It doesn't destroy your body, ok, the particulates are somewhat harmful, but people smoke cause its expedient and the stuff is expensive, make it legal and cheap, and put it in your spaghetti sauce. The problems the world experiences now are not due to technological deficiencies, but lack of imagination, conciousness is exactly what must be expanded now. The human race has reverted to the dominator system of territorial apes, obsolete and dangerous now that total destruction and extinction is possible. This model was subverted for millenia through a symbiotic relationship with psychoactive plants which is being rediscovered. The 60's were the first explosion of this rediscovery, brutally supressed but nevertheless gaining momentum throughout society. It's not mere indulgence and pleasure, it's a revolution.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There's a problem . The federal law enforcement agency will appeal the decission to the supreme court to say that fereral laws supercede the laws of the states when drugs are concerned. The supreme court will then decide whether or not the fereral laws do actually supercede the states laws (which they must find) in order to not let other ferderal laws get bypassed the same way. So even if the laws are changed until they go through the appeals process they won't be enacted.

16. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

People often think they know what's best, but that does not necessarily mean they do know what's best.

# nausea, especially in combination with alcohol, some pharmaceuticals, or other psychoactives
    # coughing, asthma, upper respiratory problems
    # difficulty with short term memory during effects and during periods of frequent use
    # racing heart, agitation, feeling tense
    # mild to severe anxiety
    # panic attacks in sensitive users or with very high doses (oral use increases risk of getting too much)
    # headaches
    # dizziness, confusion
    # paranoid & anxious thoughts more frequent
    # possible psychological dependence on cannabis
    # clumsiness, loss of coordination at high doses
    # can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders

The money that goes into medical treatment is money wasted.

Why do this to your body just because you can? It makes no sense.

17. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

§outh§tar

Known drug-related deaths in the UK, 1990

Tobacco: .................>110,000
    Alcohol: ..................>30,000
    Volatile Substances: 112
    Morphine: ................91
    Methadone: ..............84
    Heroin: ....................62
    Barbiturate Type: ....7
    Anti-depressants: ....4
    Cocaine: .................4
    Pethidine: ...............3
    MDMA (ecstasy): ...3
    Amphetamine Type: .2
    LSD:....................... 0
    Psylocibin:............. 0
    Cannabis: ...............0

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=618

Now be quiet.
    Dee Cee

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Southstar,

That list you posted is ridiculous.

Did you know that one of the prime uses of marijuana for medicinal purposes is to cure the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy?

The short-term memory connection, I feel, has never been proven adequately.

Coughing. Duh. You can eat it too you know. And, you cough a lot less from pot than from cigarettes. Why? Because you don't smoke pot constantly. People chain smoke frequently. Also chemicals and such are added to tobacco that are not found in pot.

Racing heart. Is this a bad thing?

Anxiety. Sometimes. Is usually felt by newbies. It is a means of self-awareness as well.

Bunch of other reasons that go with anxiety and paranoia. All inane.

Headaches. Maybe if you're smoking stems and seeds, bud. Otherwise it just might cure your headache.

Dizziness, confusion. You mean getting stoned?

What a concept.

Psychological dependence. You mean habit-forming? Are you saying tobacco isn't habit forming? Are you saying that tobacco isn't more addictive. Personally, I have found no evidence for any serious addiction effects to smoking pot. In fact, I haven't had any n two months. No prob. A lot of people I know lay off for a month at a time to clean out their system for an upcoming UA. How many other things do you have as mere habit? I started a thread on addiction and reaching. When giving up cigarrettes recently, I found that reaching for things was inextricably combined with the desire to smoke. I'd reach for my cigarettes without thinking and then have to suppress the cravings. Or I'd reach for anything at all and then realize that I wanted a cigarette. It's habit. Nothing more.

Clumsiness. You repeat yourself to seem to be making more points. Again. This is part of being stoned. And is overestimated by you seemingly.

Latent mental disorders. Now this one I've thought of myself. This is possible. I've seen no research on this, but it does bear some merit to me. However. Why is this bad?

Better start prohibiting everything then. Is there anything out there that doesn't damage you in some way? Your arguments are a typical outsiders view of the situation. Why don't you bring in Reefer Madness? Little Jonnie is going to go psycho on the Loco Weed and kill his girlfriend. Or how about the warning signs of a dope fiend? Semen stains on their trouser from constantly jacking off looking for their next rape victim.

What happened, Southstar? Did you get high one time and acted a fool and people started throwing doughnuts at you or something?

Edit: Oh almost forgot. HEMPFEST 2004. Seattle, Washinton. This weekend. Kinda sucks. Mostly a giant pipe shop. But it's good to go just to show solidarity.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  19. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

What happened, Southstar? Did you get high one time and acted a fool and people started throwing doughnuts at you or something?

LoL

20. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Foolishness.

Because 14 years ago, there were no deaths in a country from cannabis that makes it acceptable, despite the ill effects?

------
    Five recent studies published in the medical literature report substantial harmful effects of cannabis use in relation to development of schizophenia; depression, especially in adolescent girls; progression to drug abuse/dependence and respiratory diseases, including lung cancer.

Also, an analysis of the latest statistics on cannabis related deaths demonstrates how misleading is the claim, frequently made by advocates of cannabis law reform, that there are NO cannabis related deaths.

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/health/canabis.html

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The war against marijuana originates in Congress' power to regulate commerce.

Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 - text (DrugLibrary.org)
    Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 - history & information (DrugLibrary.org)
    Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914 - text (DrugLibrary.org)
    Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914 - history & information (DrugLibrary.org)
    Letter from the American Medical Association, July 10, 1937 (DrugLibrary.org)

22. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

§outh§tar

The statistics are old because I paid good money for them back in 1990 and their still sat on my bookshelf.. if you want the latest figures go check the link.

Why haven't you started a prohibit alcohol thread?
    Do you drink?
    Now why would you do that to yourself?
    Dee Cee

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It always amazes me that some people still don’t think that individuals should be allowed to make their own decisions about what they do with their bodies. Perhaps there are harmful health effects that accompany marijuana use – but if I decide that I want to do it anyway, that should be my right. It isn’t the government’s place to tell me that I can’t engage in risky behavior that doesn’t harm anyone but myself.

You say that marijuana should be outlawed because it’s bad for your health. Yet it’s perfectly legal for me to eat unhealthy junk food, binge drink, chain smoke, go sky-diving, play Russian roulette, or light myself on fire.