Prayer Works -- a praise report for my Christian Brethren

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Woody, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

I am quickly seeing that...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Prayer doesn't work, because what you people pray to doesn't exist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

"Not once. I have never punished, told off, raised my voice or even looked at my child with a remotely angry expression."
    "Punishing out of anger, or a lack of patience is never done."

Being a parent, I always suspect the purveyors of messages such as those above to be lying. Sure to your credit, maybe you try not to do it, hell it's probably even rare, but I suspect that to say it NEVER happens is akin to sprinkling carpet fresh over a spot where your poodle took a dump.

Maybe you just keep it all repressed, in which case I offer my condolences to the families of your future (or current) victims.

In the spirit of your bullshit, I gotta go let my kids out of their cages.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

water: Woody, you have shown that you cannot be trusted. You lied to me about posting in my thread -- and you have not said a word to that. How can you now expect me to trust you?

I don't trust anybody here. Why should you?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  8. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

woody
    woodpecker
    my favourite youth time show

9. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Aside from the last one, which sounds somewhat dodgy to me, I can understand how a parent in general will view them as quite serious. However, all the telling off and smacked bums in the world never stopped anyone from being a bully or from having the occasional fisticuff session. We've all punched someone in our lives, (most probably), and there is generally a good reason to do so, (from our perspective). I find that the more a person keeps saying 'no', the more the other person will want to do it. If my daughter has issues with someone and tells me about it, I will tell her to go and punch them in the nose. It's worth pointing out that she never has, no matter how many times I tell her she can or should, and that she'll always find a different way of solving the issue. I'm sure this doesn't work for everyone, but I'm explaining why I personally disagreed with your last statement. I've never had to say "no" to her, and I've never seen her do anything even remotely worth a telling off - because of that.

Just out of interest, how would you explain punching someone in the nose as being wrong?

Do you find 10 minutes of boredom makes for a better behaved child?

I guess there's the difference between "no" and "do it if you want to but you'll probably be arrested for it". However, would you say that all of these people that have committed crimes come out of jail a lot better off?

But I was getting more along the lines of typical parent behaviour - where a child will be told off for not wanting to go somewhere, or do something the parent tells them to or isn't in the mood to eat their food. It just seems ridiculous to me.. Of course that's just a personal thing and I don't really expect anyone to agree.

While I am around a lot of the time, she simply does not get into 'situations'. I find that I can literally encourage her to do what you might consider 'bad' things and she wont. I'll tell her she can swear and drink alcohol etc, but no matter how much I encourage her to she wont do it. It's quite difficult to explain, but perhaps best to just look at her like a mini-version of my wife. My wife can do whatever she wants to do and go out and do all kinds of 'bad' things, but doesn't

Me included in that. Don't worry though, I forgive you for your incorrect assumptions.

My child always does behave. Odd sounding perhaps, and probably "bullshit" to Wes, but it's the way it is.

I do find one thing however - which some might regard as an issue, but I generally don't. She prefers to spend her time with her parents. Some kids seemingly want to spend their lives at their friends house, (I was like that), or playing with a group of kids. My daughter prefers our company than others. Whether this will cause issues in future social settings where we're not there I don't know, but for now I'm not overly worried that she loves her parents.

I wouldn't assume that many parents would understand. It's not so much a choice on my part as it is an inevitability given life circumstances. I was fostered many times as a kid and finally adopted. It's something that made me want to be extra special and loving as a parent. I have always been very concious of it. Having grown up without any knowledge of having a 'real' parent - instead having knowledge of a parent who didn't want me - made my views differ to many others. Eventually my wife and I had a son only to then watch him die.

These things combined make me the way I am - which is pretty much that a child is a complete equal, with as much say and rights as I have. I have also realised, given my position, that "no" has never solved a damn thing in it's life. It has not been planned, but it turns out that by treating her like an adult and showing her all the respect she deserves, she has not once given me reason to raise my voice, tell her off etc or even consider having to do so.

Sure, it could be complete luck of the draw.. I will not say I'm a better parent, but that with her it works. I'm nice, she's nice. I encourage her right to freedom of choice and she picks the better one.

I don't have a poodle, I have a bigass retriever. I say "no" to it all the time and it's the nastiest bastard I've ever had to put up with. Admittedly with the dog the 'equality' stance of mine did not work. The dog assumed that the freedom I gave it made it 'head of the pack', and so when I went to take a toy off it, it decided to try and chew my arms off. It then ended up killing our pet cat. Although it has worked perfectly with my daughter, I wouldn't try again with a sharp toothed animal.

Or maybe you and I just differ given our life circumstances and the way we dealt with them.

Certainly a way to lower the level of the conversation, but nevermind.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  10. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Gendanken said: No, you do not understand brother Mephura.

You coulda, you shoulda, yadint.
    Thread's dead.

I tried Gend, dear, I tried.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You too? I thought it was just me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Woody,

Gendanken is an evil woman and you'd do well to steer clear of her. If you try saving her, she'll just drag you down into her own damnation. She brings her own hell with her.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes. Gendanken is a kneecap smashing demoness who's only aim is to destroy the souls of others. She is a harlot and a friend of sinners. Beware!

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You kid. But it's the truth.

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Ya gotta love her. Er.. I mean if you're a good christian and such. I'm not, but I love her anyway.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Fromt the Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon:
    "There is no instance where it can be proved that this word designates a young woman who is not a virgin."​
    But I agree, the use of Hebrew isn't what's bothering you about the religion.

Maybe I enjoy trying to understand what I do not - and tryinng to explain what I do understand. Sure, a superficial reading might make no sense, and few people care to do more than a superficial reading. I don't mind doing the reading, so I'm happy to "apologize".

I can't prove these people were trustworthy, no. And you can't prove they're not. It comes down to whether we believe them or not. I don't think they were dictated their accounts mindlessly, but since their copies don't match I don't think they merely echoed each other mindlessly either. Your argument goes both ways. Paul's letters precede the gospels, and yet the four gospels show no influence of his advanced theology. At the very least, it suggests that they were using other sources than available scripture: personal accounts.

How are the chapters an indication of time? (can you tell me how much time passed between the plagues?). The chariots were obviously Pharoah's, but the horses could have come from anywhere (since Pharoah could simply have imported new horses from other regions under his control - and they would become his). All Egypt's horses did not die, as is plain from the text, so your insistence on the strict appliation of "all" makes no sense. It's a forced interpretation that contradicts the text. I might not be able to read Hebrew, but I know one of its peculiarities is its universal terms (like love vs. hate). Consider:
    When the man Elkanah went up with all his family to offer the annual sacrifice to the LORD and to fulfill his vow, Hannah did not go. (1 Samuel 1:21)​
    I think the difficulties require that we do read further. Unless you think the author was totally oblivious to the problem that seems clear as daylight - so clear as to come across as pure stupidity - there is no problem with the account as he gives it. The plague and hail didn't kill all the horses in Egypt.

Since "there has been no day like that, before it or after it" (Joshua 10:14) I think any explanation is speculative. However you wish to come to terms with it, this was what the Israelites attributed the success of their victory to.

That you don't like their account barely makes it "bad manners".

I've seen Mel Gibson's Passion, and I've read the Roman descriptions of it. No skulls were crushed. Sometimes the flesh was completely ripped off, but the intention was to inflict as much punishment as possible without resulting in death (or the crucifixion itself would be robbed of its purpose).

I realize you'd prefer some Alexandrian king to put the world in its place, but such kingdoms - Assyrian, Persian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Roman... - never last beyond their popularity, and are prone to the very sins God abhorrs. Christ's meekness was God's power. It's counterintuitive to the world we live in, which was its purpose. It's a silent power and a quiet strength, and not even violent death can touch it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  17. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Invert Nexus said: Gendanken is an evil woman and you'd do well to steer clear of her. If you try saving her, she'll just drag you down into her own damnation. She brings her own hell with her.

Woody says: Yes I have already figured that out. She demands apologies when she owes them. She asks for something, and when you give it to her she ignores it, or ridicules it, curses it, you name it -- anything but receiving it. Then she flames you for doing things that you did not do. I never "turned her away", and Water says I must love trolls too.

Water isn't much better. I sent her a cordial note and she didn't reply. She says that I don't "care" , but she really doesn't care to listen -- that's odvious. She prefers shouting at people rather than listening. She pulled out something I quoted months ago from some old thread of hers and says "See, you did participate in that thread discussion and now I demand an apology from you." The content of that particular post added absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand -- but she demanded an apology because I did not remember posting it in her thread. I honestly don't remember everything I post here -- especially after months of a shut-down on this sciforums website, and I'm over 700 posts now. But for her, it's suddenly a showstopper for all forms of communication. How petty!

Neither one of them has even a smidgen of forgiveness in their petty, smallminded, bones. They will never come to the Lord with an attitude like that, so you are correct -- there is little if any point in trying to help them. They'll just spit in your face. With those two, I am casting my pearls before swine. The Bible tells me to steer clear.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

It still doesn't work, you know. It's all just a series of coincidences. There is no god. Your prayers mean precisely shit.

19. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Are you God that you can save anyone?
    2 Tim. 2:24
    And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.​
    The only evil I see here is your attitude towards her, as if a Christian could justify such language.

Nobody owes you any apology.
    1 Cor. 4:12-13 When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly.​
    I don't see any of that in your responses.

Whether she is reasonable and justified or not should be of no concern to you. If you see that she won't be reasonable, leave it at that, but you have no place to condemn her for it. If you don't know what she's going through, or what her motives or reasons are, don't speculate - and don't judge based on speculation.

If you treated her consistently, it wouldn't matter whether you remember what you posted or where - you would be able to say with confidence that her accusations are unfounded. If you make a mistake, admit it and go on; you expect no less from her.

And by calling them petty and small-minded, you only prove that you don't have a smidgen of forgiveness or grace either. You can't keep them from going to God with their attitude, or Him from forgiving it; you sound like Jonah complaining about Nineveh. Let them spit in your face, let them slap you on the cheek - you be the Christian.

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

We are bad, we are bad, ha ha ha!

All my life Christians have given up on me -- because I am bad!
    It is a kind of a sick relief, to know I have been snubbed because I am bad.
    And bad I surely must be, for otherwise, I would have already accepted the Lord long, long ago.

And it must be that God loves you, Christians, so much. For He has made sure that you would believe in Him, *just* *like* *that*, while years of study and prayer have done nothing for me. What a hideous monster I must be.

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

By our fruits ye shall know us!

If it looks bad, it must be bad.

We must first please Woody. Woody says. If we are pleasing Woody, we are pleasing God. If we aren't pleasing Woody, we aren't pleasing God.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Woody. You really are a shitty Christian. A shitty person too, I suspect. I guess that makes you a good christian then.

Someday you too will be shunned. Enjoy.

23. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

Dear god please give me £5 million pounds, omg thanks.. woopeee..

Fuck this thread is stupid...