Probiotics

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by KilljoyKlown, Jun 30, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

They need the good intestinal bacteria not only to help with digesting food, but also to promote a strong healthy immune system, and the sooner the better. However, I have no idea if probiotic yogurt is the way to go. If it was me I'd give it a try and judge by the results. I'm sure a baby without stomach problems is going to be a much happier baby which is going to make for much happier parents.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I don't think there is such a thing. Yogurt has the same bacteria as probiotics, and achieves similar results. But there is no probiotics per see in yogurt.

"Dairy yogurt is produced using a culture of Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus bacteria. In addition, other lactobacilli and bifidobacteria are also sometimes added during or after culturing yogurt."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Reading the Info on the link, indicates this probiotic doesn't grow in the gut and has to be taken regularly or it quits working for you. I prefer something that can be used for about 3 days after treatment with antibiotics, to help you get back to normal and then you can put them away until next time.

For the purpose of helping a baby, I'm thinking getting them to eat yogurt has to be easier then taking a pill.

8. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the "baby yogurt" advice.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Where is this whole baby thing coming from? Who has the baby and what is its problem? If the baby is gasy, probably yogurt would do the trick. Or a cork...

10. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

The inevitable question.... Well SyZyGyS I have a little one. I heard Yogurt has probiotics. I wanted to know why there was yogurt for "babies". And if it could be bad for there tummies.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

12. river

For probiotics I take , RENEW LIFE 50billion capsule once a day , as well organic probiotic yogourt

The older you get , especially into your late forties and beyond , it is important to replenish your gut bacteria

To me I reasoned it out this way

If there is an imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the gut , so that the bad is the dominate bacteria in the gut ,then the bad things enter the blood stream , hence cancers

Thats my thinking anyway

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I do know that your thinking makes the probiotics companies happy. Usually, taking daily probiotics is over kill unless you are taking antibiotics, otherwise once or twice a week works great and saves on probiotics budget.

14. river

What ever works for you is what is important , in the end

Probiotics are very important , that realization is important to all

river

15. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

This statement ^ is FALSE. If you think not, cite your (peer reviewed professional scientific/medical publications) sources that prove "an imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the gut" causes cancer.

Your' thinking is in error and you are flat - out wrong.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Taking it everyday is an overkill, unless you have just had major surgery. I only take it before drinking beer, beens, cauliflower,you got the point....

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Did that exactly. After 1 week of IV antibiotics after major surgery I took GNC 75's - 2 a day - for 1 week to replace my internal biome. That worked quite well, has done so on several occasions now.

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yeah, sure. That's the same (wrong) thinking you used when you also claimed that GM foods caused cancer.

19. CarlPro Registered Member

I have experience making kefir from kefir grains. It worked for awhile, but I couldn't really eat any sugar with that diet or I would get really bloated. So now I am on probiotic pills. PB8 brand has worked well for me. The way I take it is I dump the contents of 2 capsules in coconut water and let it sit at room temperature for about 12 hours, then drink it on an empty stomach before I go to bed.

The reason why I soak it for 12 hours is to "wake" them up so they can survive the stomach acids. I've been doing this now for 5 months and it has been working great for me.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Seems like a lot of extra trouble to go to. Did you try just following the instructions on the label first?

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

CarlPro, you forgot the mention the reason why you are taking it. Stomach issues, gas?

22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Our store must carry at least 150 or more types and flavors of yogurt, from yogurt drinks to Greek, from 0% fat to some that have 9% fat. Over 95% of them contain gelatin, pectin or cornstarch to thicken and yes, I have read every label because it is allowed as part of my job. Yogurt is also one of the few forms of dairy that I enjoy regularly so it is a food of interest to me personally. (I will not buy any yogurt that has any of the previous three ingredients in them.) A majority of yogurts are sweetened or flavored and this greatly increases the calories and sugars in them, which makes them questionable as 'health food' by my criteria.

The better recourse is to buy plain yogurt and add your own fresh fruit, preserves, honey or maple syrup in controlled measure. I buy a plain Balkan Style Yogurt for this purpose, which also works nicely as a base for salad dressings, dips and to replace sour cream as a topping on potatoes and my one indulgence as flavored yogurts go is a Caramel one by the same company which is decadent with diced apple, chopped walnut and a little flax seed.

http://astro.ca/products/astro_original_balkan_style_flavoured_caramel_650g_family_tub

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

With regard to 'Baby' yogurts, we had them in the store for a short while and we get some distributed to us when various promotions are on but they are pretty much the same as any of the others or possibly even less healthy because of the focus on 'kid friendly flavors' or sweetness, and they come in smaller sizes for kids which means you are really getting taken for a ride on the price and more packaging.

One again, the best advice is to make sure that you child is old enough to be introducing dairy to their diet (lactose is the natural sugar in milk and even plain yogurts contain a lot of this natural 'milk sugar'). The following chart lists the percentage range of lactose in most commonly purchased dairy products. Interestingly, aged cheeses tend to contain less lactose.

http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm