Problem of gravitons and black holes

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Ultron, Sep 28, 2016.

1. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Do you agree with the link that you provided claiming that "a controversial paper exists but so do black holes"? It sure sounds like you do. In my experience most physicists would make the same statement...until they are pressed to define the term "exists"...which will eventually lead them to conclude that the word itself is not compatible with the theory of general relativity (or something along those lines). Science can't have it both ways, claiming colloquially that black holes as predicted by GR exist as a matter of fact, and also that the word "exists" has no real place in the theory of GR.

By the way, I can personally provide a definition of "exists" which is perfectly compatible with GR but would lead to the conclusion that black holes do not qualify.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The evidence for BH's is now at this time, overwhelming to put it mildly:
    But as always, science/cosmology being a discipline in continued progess, the challenge to come up with a consistent non-BH explanation for the observed motion of stars at the galactic center, and other regions of the universe we observe, is as far away as it always has been.
    Still, I patiently await for that challenge to be answered. As do the vast majority of professionals in this field.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.