Process, Ethics, and Justice: An Inauspicious Note Regarding the Politics of Rape Culture

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Dec 17, 2017.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

There will be psychopaths that commit violent crimes no matter what we try to do. However, we can reduce their desire and ability to commit crimes.
    There will be non-psychopaths that commit violent crimes no matter what we try to do. However, we can reduce their desire and ability to commit crimes.
    A conscious what?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes think of these things in order of magnitude and priority. You see the world will never be perfect, not until there are no more humans to no long have problems, only then will it be perfect, so we all have to make do with mitigating problems, not truly solving them completely.

So for decades now in the western world women have been given every right as men, and protections in law from sexism, heck even more rights then men even if we include the draft, genital integrity and family court precedent, rates of rape a sexual harrasment are much lower then just a fews years to decades ago, Yet it is never good enough! It is always women are so horribly oppressed in a country where a women can complain about a man supposedly garbing her waist in a photoshoot years ago and have I'm forced out of the US senate. The problem is no one knows when to say "good enough lets move on, we got bigger problems to deal with" like the need for progressive taxation or universal healthcare of livable wages, instead we got to keep finding ever smaller problems of women to complain about and demand something be done. Meanwhile the reaction to such a fanatic priority has caused an ignorant moronic pig boar to become president an given republicans complete control of the federal goverment. Women that stand up and say "I'm not a victim" are told they have internalized misogyny, straight men are constantly demonized and any questioning is turned around on them being misogynist and potential rapists, and the right lovingly embarrass these people "now now the problem is the left, the Cultural Marxist, the big bad goverment, the jews, the glorious free market will fix this, just vote for us" and they do, because people are stupid.

Tell me why not focus on other crimes, why not murder, or thrift, are we a murder-culture or thief-culture because those issues most everyone's response is "what ever let the police handle it"? The problem is rape-culture is unfalsifiable: no matter how low rape gets, it must be under reported, any rape must be a product of culture, can't just be some random psychopath, any attention diverted must be rape-culture for denying rape, it is a ideology so circular in its logic it is almost religious!

And yet women are having their healthcare stripped, their wages suppressed and abortions rights slowly stripped away, and your bitching about the imaginary rapeculture only helps the republicans.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah and so? Please present how you plan to reduce their desire and ability to commit crime.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, we try to solve them, but since we're not perfect our solutions aren't perfect.

Right. How many rapes are OK? How many murders? How many maimings, blindings and mutilations? The right number is zero. We won't get there, but we will keep trying to get closer. And that's good.
    You are right. We will never say "oh, other things are worse, so it's OK to abuse women."
    Thrift is a problem? Do you mean theft?

We should work on that, too. Most people can do more than one thing at a time.
    To the degree that we excuse murder, yes, we are. That is VERY rare. Haven't seen too much evidence of that

We are, to a greater degree, a theft culture. We are often OK with theft if no one gets hurt, or it was a big evil corporation that was robbed, or if it was someone who "had it coming."
    You are the republican's greatest ally, and people like you are why Trump got elected. Best work to change that, rather than work to make it happen again. Trying to say "women have plenty of rights and almost never get assaulted; the ones who complain about assault are whiners" will get people like Trump excused (and elected) again and again and again.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Education. People who can make good money by working have less desire to steal to get money. Also, people who understand the law are less likely to think they can easily dodge it.

Weapons control. Passing laws that allow confiscation of weapons from mentally ill people will reduce their ability to commit crimes.

Just for starters.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

When the police or military murder, which is not "very" rare, we are often ok with it.
    And when it's the big evil corporation that does the robbing, we are often more than ok - positively encouraging, at times.
    And both of those are often - almost by custom - referred to as metaphorical rape.

Culture be a complex entity, of many and multi dimensions. They can become infused.

Kittamaru likes this.
  10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*whistles* I see that attending to facts upsets you Tiassa- my apologies, I will refrain from referring you to them in the future (actually, I think I'll just refrain from engaging you period, since I'm rather sick of your hypocritical, dishonest BS)

Good luck solving this problem with finger pointing and unintelligible screeching.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We have already been doing that, certainly we can do more of it, if we say taxed the rich to fund more education and to make higher education free.

Sounds fine to me, but with how zealous the right are about their penis enhancers, I be willing to let guns slide if we had to trade it for free education.

See we can't do many things at once, because we got to win elections first and foremost if we want to do anything at all. That requires putting priorities that garner the most votes up fronts and priorities that are less popular and/or worse enrages the right on the down low.

And this is where we have problems. Lets say we have millions of people that don't even have clean drinking water but you want to spend all your energy trying to bring murder and rape down another fold, priorities man. The level of crimes in the developed world are rather low, acceptable, no of course not, but the bigger problem is a country as rich as the USA still has 50 million people living in poverty, has no universal healthcare, and is not even in the top ten countries when it comes to standard of living. Something tells me (like the much lower rate of crime in countries with higher standards of living) that improving the standard of living in the USA will reduce the rate of murder and rape more then trying to directly reduce the rate of murder and rape.

no moving the goal post to what counts as abuse is the problem. Women complaining about her waist being squeezed to tight years after it happened is not at all priority. Trying to make issues like that look comparable to climate change or healthcare is how we ended up with Trump.

Yes all a matter of construction and framing, anything can be made to seem like the world biggest problems with enough sophistry. The only difference between rapeculture and murderculture is only the former is trendy.

Oh that might make sense if people like me were in charge, but I was not the one that voted for Hillary in the primary. I say "women have equal rights already, and almost never get assaulted, it is the impoverish women, the impoverished people, without hope or purpose that we need to worry about, not some rich debutante clutching at her perls as she twits some story about how some politician touched her butt years ago in a photoshoot" How about you talk to a women that does not have time to be chattering away on social media all day, that is working 12 hour shifts waiting tables, she does not mind the ass pinching so long as her kids have food, ask her what her priorities are. The first step to knowing if your priorities are correct or skewed is getting out of your hug box and asking around.

You can turn the argument around all you want, but you provide no evidence: it was not my side of economic justice progressive democrats that lost the general election to a fucking pig boar, it was the social justice side that thought vagina was all that was needed, and that anyone that questioned otherwise is a misogynist, because that is all people care about, empowering women riiiiggggghhhttt? Well we have the facts now: social justice is a losing strategy, it created such a gigantic reactionary movement of hate and trollery that it put the republicans in total power with a moron that makes Bush Jr look smart, meanwhile even a majority of white women voted for trump!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I would say something as simple as ensuring everyone has lead-free water to drink could help - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5703470/
    Results
    With the exception of rape, aggregate blood-lead levels were statistically significant predictors of violent crime at the census tract level. The risk ratios for each of the outcome measures were as follows: firearm crimes 1.03 (1.03–1.04), assault crimes 1.03 (1.02–1.03), robbery crimes 1.03 (1.02–1.04), homicide 1.03 (1.01, 1.04), and rape 1.01 (0.99–1.03).
    Significant, and then at the end they add this:

The relative risk was positive for rape (RR = 1.01, 95% CI: 0.99, 1.03), but was not statistically significant.
    Clean drinking water... should be simple for the self-proclaimed "greatest nation on Earth", and would have a positive impact on reducing violent crime across the spectrum... yet as events like Flint showed us, we can't even seem to get that done.

Much the same - since it seems the premise being put forth is that, essentially, sexual assault is carried out by assholes, then a solution would seem to be lets raise fewer assholes.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well we did outlaw leaded gasoline while ago, of course not elected republicans that contaminate water supplies with poor quality control and cheap filters would help now.

Well sure but I think Tiassa and Bells and Billvon have a different interpretation and think some cultural factor is specifically causing rape. For some of them I suspect this is just cover, they really believe what causes rape is maleness its self, and they would like to rid the world of it. Tiassa spook with glee about engineering an all female hominid (personally a race of hermaphrodites sounds better to me, that is my kink)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*shrug* They did balk at the prospect that procreation as a biologic urge exists so... yeah. I dunno what they hope to accomplish chasing their tails like this. I still maintain a combination of equitable enforcement of the laws and teaching kids to actually be empathetic and recognize emotions as a thing (as well as killing off this ancient idea of masculinity that seems to be prevalent) would do wonders. Maybe it wouldn't solve it entirely, but it damn sure wouldn't make things worse!

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes psychopathology even at a genetic level is only a probability and depend on environmental cues, but if we could insert genes specifically to enhance consciousnesses and empathy, instead of creating a race with different genitals, why not a race incapable of evil thought? A race devoid of hate or anger? I wonder if such a race would be too "autistic" to function though, do we need some level of hate and anger to function?

16. Bells Staff Member

You do realise that EF was whining that women were complaining about rape and rape culture because he doesn't think it is that big of a problem, right?

Is that the point you have been trying to make?

Did you read to what you were just agreeing to?

Secondly, no one has said anything about a single pronged approach to dealing with rape culture. Quite the contrary.

Really? Well, none of us knew that, so thank you for letting us know.

No, really, I mean it. Because if we didn't have you to tell us these things, we'd simply never know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Do you know why I suggested a level of introspection earlier in the thread? Do you know why I said that it starts with people looking at their own behaviour first?

I'll put it this way, how can you possibly raise a child to not be an arsehole, when you are an arsehole and either do not think rape culture and rape is that problematic (given what you just agreed to) and you do not think that your behaviour is problematic enough to warrant any introspection? It's all well and good for people to keep saying to not raise arseholes (the ultimate goal of every parent is to raise their kids to not be arseholes). But when one is an arsehole, then one will naturally impart their behaviour, morals and beliefs onto their kids without even meaning to. Hence why I kept telling you that to deal with rape culture, everyone in society has to look inwards first, because it starts with every single one of us as individuals. So if you don't want to raise your kids to be arseholes, you need to start with yourself first. It does start with you.

I have to ask.. See, we all know this. You keep repeating it like it's a mantra. Who are you trying to convince?

Consider the metaphor of thumbs and fingers. All thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs. Similarly, all rape is part of rape culture but rape culture is not limited to actual rape. In other words, rape culture encompasses a much broader range of behaviours, beliefs and norms than actual rape.​

Something something about you failing to see the bigger picture goes here.

It would help if you actually attended to the facts instead of constantly trying to change the subject and setting up strawman's and coming out with fairly obscene arguments. For example:

The thread is about "rape culture", in particular, rape culture regarding politics.

Are you sure you actually want to go with "procreation as a biological urge" (given your arguments regarding urges and outlets before...) when the subject is rape culture?

Are you attempting to argue that rape is a biological urge to procreate, for example? Are you now revising your argument that rape is about power and control?

To the one, you aren't even addressing what he said, and instead, you are attempting to set up a strawman to score what? A hit? A point? You do realise that most educated people understand that men aren't raping women because they have this urge to make babies, right? Or maybe you don't (given your previous remarks in this thread). But look, if you are going to swing between posts this way, and then have the temerity to argue that 'we need to not raise arseholes' to deal with rape culture, then again, look in the mirror and deal with your own issues before you raise any child to not be an arsehole. Because your beliefs, your behaviour, your views on women, for example, will be passed on to your child by how you behave, how you express your beliefs, how you address women, how you view women, etc.

Now consider that you have spent nearly 3 pages now (not counting the other threads over this past week), arguing for rape culture and trying to lecture the rest of us who actually understand the subject matter and all it entails.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Here in the USA, compared to the need for healthcare, basic services and education... yes rape is not that big a problem, even shootings is not as big of a problem, and at least we know how to fix that problem (get rid of guns) you and your ilk only speak of some nebulous fix of somehow re-culturing boys not to rape, as if all males rape.

Your ilks focus on rapeculture and on a solutions that demonize men, has cost us dearly, the last election had the highest gender gap ever, with 40% of men voting for her and 60% for Trump. I would put good bet that was particularly because trump promised to win the war against PC culture that constantly demonized men.

Now the republicans are going to pass a tax bill that will fuck over more people then the rate of rape in the USA ever will.

18. river

Not to have hate or have anger to function , but to have something to fight against .

Hockey players , in the past more than now , would fight one another but have a beer after the game . And respect one another .

The ability to fight is not about hate nor anger , but about the challenge of your skills to fight another , such as UFC .

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't even need to go that far - if we'd stop teaching young boys that "men don't cry", quit with the "stop acting like such a girl" bullshit, eliminate the "strong men get what they want" worship; if we would quit impressing on young girls that they "need to look like the girls in the magazine" to look pretty, that they have a place "behind their man", and that they "can't be strong and be feminine"; if we could break these stupid stereotypes, I think we'd get a fair way from that alone.

river likes this.
  20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But that was all lies. You can't blame the lied about for the actions of the suckers who believed the lies.
    And those suckers are grown men, charged with adult political responsibilities - they are accountable for their actions, including those based on believing things nobody over the age of 10 can reasonably believe.
    Not really.
    You vastly underestimate the influence and role of the threat of rape, in the US.

Meanwhile, while process and justice are on the table, an item from the year-end issue of the local music and arts review seems relevant:
    http://e.startribune.com/Olive/ODN/STCityPages/default.aspx
    See page 6.
    "This is not the court Jean Boler remembers. She was a lawyer on Jenson vs Eveleth Taconite Company - - - -
    - - - -
    Two decades later, Boler would be less confident about bringing such a suit. - -
    - - - -
    What happened? Elections. - - -
    - - - - "

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

the suckers vote, their choices, their responsibility, fucks us all, they are not the only one accountable, we all suffer. Lies and truth does not matter, winning elections matter.

Oh really, then how did we get the pussy grabber in Chief?

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well there is several problems with this, first off men on average don't cry, or to be more precises we have been bred to not show emotion like that often, women preferred to bred with stoic men, women on the other hand were not selected for being stoic, in fact the ones the cried got more attention. Likewise men are not attracted to boobs, butts and a proper spinal curve for hold a fetus because magazines told us, that was evolution also.

The next problems is we have been doing all that for over a generation now, we are even to the point of some parents trying to raise their child totally agender. I would think after what happened to David Reimer that it is clear gender is a mental concept installed instinctively, and the neutral-gender child raising techniques will ultimately fail, worse once those kids become teenagers, they will rebel and likely become conservatives just to piss their liberal parents off, start spouting Ann Rand quotes, god the next generation will truly be regressive!

23. birch Valued Senior Member

actually, i read somewhere that larger breasts have no evolutionary value for breastfeeding, it has more to do with the nipple area. larger breasts might be more attractive to males because it looks like when it's full when a woman is lactating milk. the only one that seems to have any value is waist to hip ratio which signifies youth/fertility and past puberty in the sense the hips are wide enough to give birth.

but even that is suspect because in the past, larger women where their waist was larger than their hips was considered more attractive because it mean they were better off and well-fed. also, society's ideals of facial beauty changes too. much of what is beauty besides indications of health such as clear skin, white teeth etc is conceptual.

today, because of the wealth of food, thinness is more valued than overweight but still in some cultures today, it is the opposite. the models of today would not even be on anyone's radar in the past and would be considered ordinary or invisible.

overall, studies have shown the upper-class value thinness as well as brains versus superficial looks (don't need to depend on them as much) more than underclass since they have the most resources so don't need to be as concerned with accumulating fat stores in case of hardship.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017