Proof in science is hard to verify...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Muslim, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

... For the layperson... I don't have a LHC in my back-garden why should I believe in particles?

Moreover, I always here claims like the earth revolves around the sun, but no one actually ever proves this, or that the earth is spinning really fast on its axis, if that was true we would be feeling sick. Or that the sun is bigger then the moon, when the moon is actually bigger then the sun, you only need to at them the moon is clearly bigger then the sun.

So what can a person do in these situations?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

The moon is bigger than the sun?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You could just ignor all the news that you hear about particles if you want but millions of others won't. You have a choice whether or not you think that particles exist and if you don't that's your decision. But just because you might not think they exist , others do and they do experiments that provide us with that proof that the rest of us know as facts.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You don't need to for most parts of "everyday life". What difference does it make?

You've never actually read a science book have you?

Also wrong. You've obviously never even looked properly. Judging by eye the Moon and Sun are the same size (during an eclipse the Moon covers the Sun almost exactly: this would make them equally large in apparent size).

Get an education.

8. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

It's true the moon looks bigger to me then the sun. Also, the sun revolves around the earth, I don't feel the earth moving, that is a fact.

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

You can use molecular theory to predict the rate of Brownian motion under a microscope at various temperatures and pressures. It's what first made Einstein famous, before Relativity. If you have a simpler and more accurate way to make these predictions, fire away and you'll get a Nobel Prize.

It can be observed by comparing the motions of Earth and the sun against distant stars, and the assumption that Earth revolves around the sun allows you to accurately predict the orbits and positions of the planets well into the future. Besides, the sun does jiggle around just a little bit, so it's not completely stationary.

No it wouldn't, because the radius of Earth's spin is also large, and is effectively overpowered by gravity. The net effect is to reduce our weight on Earth by a tiny fraction. There are ways to demonstrate the Earth's rotation which can be performed on a tabletop at low expense, and have been around for more than 150 years.

Here's an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

So if you put your fingers close to your eyes and pinch, do you actually think you can crush peoples' heads like this guy?

To see that the sun is much larger, you make optical measurements from different locations on the Earth and then match them up. Lots and lots of ways to do this.

Ask some scientists to demonstrate stuff, and if you want to know the technical details or get hands-on with something that costs huge amounts of money like the LHC, you need to acquire the technical expertise to warrant being in a position to do that. Luckily for us, most elements of classical and modern physics require thousands of dollars or less to demonstrate, not millions or billions.

10. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Here we go with more excursive tactics. Try to explain it in more simpler terms.

11. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Hey, if you want to believe a magic frog is powering your computer, that's totally fine by me. If you want to know the scientific picture and how to test it, you should put in some effort just like anyone else.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Here's something very simple for you: Ignorance CAN be only temporary because it can be fixed through education; but stupidity, on the other hand is forever.

Which category do you fit into?

13. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - attributed by some to Ferdinand Magellan

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Muslim:

Because you can chop things into smaller pieces. Try it! Consider a carrot. Consider sand. Think.

Please explain why, exactly, you think we would feel sick. Make sure you include all the relevant details.

Get two identical coins. Hold one in front of your left eye at a distance of about 2 cm. Hold the other one in front of your right eye at arm's length. Which coin looks bigger? Which coin is bigger?

Now, brain on. Think about the sun and the moon. What do you conclude?

Have you ever been in a plane? Did you feel the plane moving when it was in level flight? Brain on. Think.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Either this is nothing more than a stupid TROLLISH stunt or this guy wins the award for the THE most uneducated individual in existence!!!!!!! :bugeye:

I tend to think it's the former - which would call for some sort of punishment, would it not? Trolling is very much against the rules of this place.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You're complaining about tactics? This entire thread is nothing but juvenile silliness.

We were having such a good time without you. Why did you come back?

17. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

After further education I have to conclude I was wrong.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Science's gain is society's loss.