Proposal: Ban "Undecided" from WE&P for one week

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by EI_Sparks, Jan 20, 2004.

?

Ban "Undecided" from WE&P for one week

Poll closed Jan 24, 2004.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Tiassa,

I'm pretty sure that Nico wasn't banned.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Nico was banned.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

but nico ISN´T banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I just don't get what the issue is with people and Nico. Who gives a rat's behind if he's returned in another form? It's not like he would be the first person to do so.

Nico was among the least of our problems.

Undecided is even less of a threat to sanity or stability around here.

8. Undecided Banned Banned

So I guess this truly idiotic, and childlike poll has finished? Stalin seems to have lost this time round.

9. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

tiassa wrote:
    A prohibition against hostile ad hominem attacks would, if anything, only produce more interesting expressions of passion. If a gendanken isn’t allowed to post “Eat my shit,” and then walk away, then in order to post at all she might be forced to mine some hitherto undiscovered vein of intelligence coupled with civility. At first it might be an excruciating exercise for her. But with enough practice she might even forget the prohibition exists. Murderers lament the fact that murder is prohibited, but the rest of us barely notice this prohibition. Similarly, only would-be rapists are denied the explicit expression of their passion for rape. Those that can express their passions by no other means other than abusive attack would suffer the most from a prohibition against doing so. We don’t make laws to protect ourselves from good men; laws only set minimal standards of behavior. Most of us fly so high above the laws that we seldom pay attention to them. I think the same would be true of my proposal.

Stevenson described his Mr. Hyde as “...a soul boiling with causeless hatreds.” If there’s an honorarium given in Sciforums for clever trash-talking then I’ll have naught to do with it. Xev and gendanken are quite welcome to it. Some very clever chemistry was required to create Zyklon B. And given that we have a Nobel Prize for chemistry why shouldn’t we also have a Hyde Prize for chemistry? The answer is that civilization is engaged in a noble struggle to raise itself out of the muck, not to search for the bottom of it. Once upon a time, students used to write the words: Ad majorem Dei glorium at the top of each page of their exercise books. The posts of too many here ought to be prefaced with: Ad majorem excrementi glorium. Eleanor Roosevelt wrote:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

I agree with this sentiment. But I also think the task of maintaining one’s dignity is far less daunting by not having to sit at the back of the bus; by not having to ride a boxcar to Auschwitz. It might be possible to smell roses in a garbage dump, but if it’s really the aroma of a rose that we're after then why not head instead for a rose garden? Likewise, it might be possible to hold serious political and philosophical discussions in a forum seething with causeless hatreds and endless vitriolic diatribe, but why shouldn’t we instead try to create an inviting and cordial environment where we can disagree about the issues rather than constantly defend our personal worth as humans?

Michael

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I can't say much for Undecided's posts in WE&P, as I never really post there. But I can tell you that he does post in SciFi, and that his threads/posts are most welcome. I have no problem with him (Except for the fact that he thinks the Enterprise D is a good design). So I vote no.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

CounslerCoffee

Thank you, and you don't like the NCC-1701D! *Slaps faces*

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

No I don't! It's a God awful design, the worst. I like a Borg Cube better than the 1701D!

Except... The future version of the 1701D, the one with the extra warp nessel, is pretty cool.

13. Undecided Banned Banned

Tiassa

I would imagine simply people are so threatened by us that they attack us for no warranted reason. Notice that I have to usually debate against people who are just there to argue with no point in the end. There are great WEP posters, Tiassa (you), Godless, Hypewaders, Spyke, and when he complaining and acting like a child EI_Sparks. The rest...well...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They are either threatened, or they are just there to annoy.

14. Undecided Banned Banned

Except... The future version of the 1701D, the one with the extra warp nessel, is pretty cool.

Do you by happenchance have a link to that? I am sorry the 1701D is so much cooler then the rest of the designs apart from the intrepid class ship. I am still debating which one satisfies my aesthetic hunger.

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

The 1701D-Modified, is shown in the episode "All Good Things" (The Last TNG episode, ever).

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/se/d-3nsl.jpg

It has an extra warp naselle which gives the ship the ability to travel up to warp 13 (I know, it's so stupid - even for a false future - because in the first season of ST:V we see Tom Paris fly a ship at warp 10, he then mutates and goes crazy - They said that no ship could ever travel at warp ten, and that the next step beyond warp 9.9 was slip stream. Er, I'm just nit picking...).

Er, I seem to of derailed this thread. Sorry.

16. Undecided Banned Banned

Oh it was a development of the Galaxy class ships, oh yes. I thought it was a Constitution class ship that was modified, oh yes I have seen that before.

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Yes. It was Riker's decision as an Admiral to keep the 1701D around. It had modified weapons to. The 1701D destroyed a Klingon Bird of Prey in five seconds flat. Bam! Right through the hull, like tissue paper.

18. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

We appear to have wandered (deliberately I suspect) well clear of the topic...

19. Undecided Banned Banned

20. Undecided Banned Banned

Does that mean Sparks that you can see what I am writing in clear contradiction to the fact that I am supposed to be on ignore? Sorry, but this thread is useless, and finally something that is at least worthwhile to talk about is going on. Edit: Are you also suggesting that me and Coffee deliberately went on a tangent on this thread?

21. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

To get back on topic:
    Porfiry,
    what's the ruling on announcing this thread in WE&P?

22. Undecided Banned Banned

The votes have said no, I assume that Dave allow this thread for a reason. The thread closed (poll) last night Sparks. Get over it...

23. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Something that you must expect from me, Sparks, is that if you talk about ST around me, or any other scifi, I will talk back. In this case it was my fault, I did mention the 1701D and Undecided mentioned it back. I'm sorry that I've taken your thread and thrown it sorta off topic.

Not that this off-topic stuff matters, the score is 6 yes, and 15 no (And this was the score before the conversation about the 1701D).

Edit: Those pics you just posted are the ship that I was talking about. Isn't it cool? It's the "All Good Things" enterpirse (The name of the episode).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.