Proposal: Remove Viewable Votes

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by CounslerCoffee, Jan 23, 2004.

1. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Some of the polls, in this very forum, allow you to see whose voting for what. I don't want people to see my vote, it's a private matter and if I feel the need to disclose what I voted on, then so be it.

Any serious poll should remove this function.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dapthar Gone for Good. Registered Senior Member

Public polls explicitly warn people that their vote can be seen by others. If you want your opinion kept secret on such matters, then I suggest that you simply do not vote. If you feel strongly enough about this matter, and believe there is sufficient poster support for it, then post a proposal with a poll, since I don't believe Porfiry will remove this new function based upon one person's opinion.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I agree, but it is up to the person creating the poll to set it as NOT public. I can't change it after the fact.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

So something that I feel strongly about, and do not wish other people to know my opinion on, I shouldn't vote for? No. If a mod election comes around, then the votes should be unviewable. If a banned member poll comes around, then it should be unviewable. This way we save feelings from being hurt, and people from fighting with one another.

I didn't want a poll in this thread. I wanted to discuss the idea first.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I love the new public poll option. Why? Because it makes people accountable for their votes.

I don't advocate that all polls should be public. Votes to elect moderators, for example, should probably be private, just as most election processes are. But for other polls, I think the person posting the poll should have the right to decide whether they want the poll to be public or private.

Voting on polls is not compulsory. If you're not comfortable putting your name to your opinion, the solution is obvious: don't vote.

9. Dapthar Gone for Good. Registered Senior Member

In the interest of fairness, I have reposted the thread, with a private poll. The mods are free to delete the other thread, the one with the public poll.
    Fair enough.

10. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

coffee step up and make your vote like a man.

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

A man would do it in a private box during election time. So I am voting like a man.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

• The public vote is up to the poll poster.
    • Some issues actually benefit from a public vote.
    • Some issues would be best served by a private vote.

That said, I think that if the question is something like, "Are you a closet homosexual?" then yes, the poster ought to keep the poll votes private. But if the question is, "Should ____ be banned?" I think people ought to be proud enough of their conscience and opinion to stand behind their vote.

Counsler, a man should not be afraid to look someone in the eye and say, "Yes, I voted to ostracize you."

Even a convicted criminal has the right to hear the jurors give their vote individually, so each one can look him in the eye and condemn him.

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Oh yes, completely right. So when a mod election comes around, instead of voting for friend X, I can vote for friend B and he can see that I didn't vote for him. That way friend X can get pissed at me.

14. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I think the decision is that it is up to the person posting the proposal to make the chioce (since that is, alas, the technical limitation we are working with). They ought to be cognizant that making a poll public may be somewhat of a disincentive in terms of having members vote honestly or vote at all.

15. Dapthar Gone for Good. Registered Senior Member

<After School Special Voice> If they can't accept you voting for someone else, they weren't really your friend in the first place. </After School Special Voice>

16. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

//Oh yes, completely right. So when a mod election comes around, instead of voting for friend X, I can vote for friend B and he can see that I didn't vote for him. That way friend X can get pissed at me.//

This is the internet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!