Proxy for MT

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by GB-GIL Trans-global, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

I had an idea following seeing an interesting page in Japanese describing a proxy server that converts pages from standard Japanese into the Oosaka dialect (subdialect of Kansai dialect).

Using already-existing free online machine translation portals (the best ones, of course, see later in my post,) and a simple language identifier, one could make a proxy script that directs all text sent to it to the proper place to translate it (different ports for different user languages, perhaps), when the translated version is sent back to the proxy it sends it to its destination. This means that, with a little bit of organization (ie how to know which language to translate to for outgoing content), one could use a proxy server to translate webpages as well as all other content that went thru the proxy (ie MSNIM messages, AIM, ICQ, maybe IRC? not sure about these) into the user's native language from another language, or to the native language of the recipient of the content for outgoing content.

I would start a project, however I don't have a working knowledge of a scripting language.

Now I will quote myself from another website on what sites to use instead of Babelfish and freetranslation.com:

Any thoughts?

[Edit to correct Catalan URL]
    [Edit to re-correct Catalan URL, add 3rd W to Excite Japan URL, add note that Amikai English-Japanese-English is what powers Excite Japan's translator]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Well, this was amazing indeed. Either we have witnessed a miracle or a case of serious hacking.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

call me stupid.. but i just keep leaning tward the second..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

/me is still waiting for replies actually *related* to the topic...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.