Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Conspiracies' started by James R, Feb 18, 2015.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

What media are you talking about? In the US we have basically to flavors of media, the right wing media and the mainstream media. Now, because media organizations are driven by profits, they tend to favor sensationalism and that does generally favor the right wing. But if you pay attention, credible sources will report all of the truth. Case in point, was the swift boating of John Kerry. All the data was reported in credible news agencies like CNN; however that didn't stop CNN from sensationalizing everything else and dragging it out giving the appearance there was some there, there, when in fact there wasn't.

Journalism and media institutions, with few exceptions, e.g. Fox News, change over time. CNN has changed. It's much less forgiving of Republican propaganda than it once was, though it still has a penchant for sensationalism. And as long as we have a free and independent press that will always be the case. Do you want a state controlled press a la Putin or a free press? I'll take the free press every day.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

One can do the research on this one's self through Project Censored. http://projectcensored.org/

The "free press" as you describe it is certainly at the whim of some very powerful systematic forces. A state-funded media with a mandate to publicize stories that get shafted because of these forces would be a powerful addition to democracy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Bookmarked for the future, but that is one fugly webpage layout. Bad colors and fonts, like a child committed it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You mean like Putin's state funded and controlled media? While it has worked well for Putin, I don't think it has worked well for everyone else.

In the US we also have a public media source, NPR, which operates a cable television and radio networks. It's partially funded by government and by private donors. Frankly, it's the best media source in the country. I also like some foreign media sources. NPR is in many ways reminiscent of what the media once was in The United States.

Before Republicans repealed The Fairness Doctrine, media outlets were required to hold fair and honest discussions of issues of national importance. That's no longer the case, and that's why we have the partisan media like Fox News and right wing radio. I think The Fairness Doctrine should be reinstated. Democrats have tried in the past, but they have always been rebuffed by Republicans. As long as Republicans control both houses of Congress The Fairness Doctrine will not be restored.

Republican media is a two edged sword for Republicans. It has helped them control Congress and smaller states. It has created a very enthusiastic base. But it has also made the party increasingly radical. That's how you get a guy like Trump on the top of the Republican ticket.

8. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Is that what I said? I said state-funded. Why are you trying to fight this?

Dr_Toad likes this.
  9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes, I think I agree with Phys Bang: you seem to be posing a false antithesis between state-funded and free when what you have in mind, I think, is the antithesis between state-controlled and free.

In the UK we have this thing called the BBC. It is not exactly state funded but it has a monopoly right to tax the public, via an annual charge on anyone owning a TV set, which is enshrined in law by the state. But it is not state-controlled, as any UK government minister who has been grilled by one of its interviewers will be keen to point out to to you.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

How so? We are talking about different mediums that you need to take into account. The the term "the press" refers to print medium an not television or wireless mediums. That would exclude the BBC as it is a television and radio operation. You have that thing called the BBC, and it's very good. It's one of the best and renowned as such around the globe. Our counterpart to the BBC is as I previously posted, the NPR, National Public Radio. NPR is funded by a tax dollars and private contributions, but it doesn't have the ability to tax.

Unlike Mother Russia the Western press isn't funded or controlled by government. It's a private enterprise. The broadcast medium is a mixed bag, but it's mostly privately funded and privately controlled. However, in the US the one exception is NPR which is partly government funded and partly privately funded as charitable organization. It operates and exists outside of government even though it is party government funded. But in any case, content isn't government controlled as it is in places like Russia. Unlike Russia, the head of state has no control over content.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ah I see, you are referring to the "press" in its narrow literal sense, as print media, rather than the broader political sense in which the expression "freedom of the press" is commonly used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_press

12. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Why are you being so obtuse?

13. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Donald Trump has exceeded every last one of these and more. You are prescient.

14. spidergoat Valued Senior Member

Because conspiracies happen.