Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Conspiracies' started by James R, Feb 18, 2015.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not really an issue; you would never even get near a formal debate. You'd be laughed out of the university far before any "formal debate."
    Nope. At one point he's swinging it violently and the end of the flag is moving fast; at one point it swings around rapidly and slaps him on the helmet. That would not happen underwater. Too much drag - the flat flag would never be able to move that fast through water.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the movement at the 00:30 time mark of this video.

Chinese Space Walk - 2008

He moves the flag from right to left. You say it's fluttering too fast. Is that right? It's still fluttering. What is the force that makes it flutter?

The reason that this is important is that NASA's official position is that this footage was really taken in Earth orbit.

edit 15 minutes later
    -----------------------------------------------

Start watching this at the 00:27 time mark.

Underwater Rainbow Flag

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

The fly end of the flag whips around and hits him in the helmet. Underwater it won't do that. Water has too much drag. Again - try it yourself.
    The spring constant of the plastic it is printed on.

Go find one of those plastic binders with a floppy plastic cover. Wave it around. It will do the same thing because of its spring constant.
    There is no sane reason to think that it wasn't.
    I did. It goes wherever the water takes it. Never - not once - does the end of the flag whip around and go the other way.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

You're talking about the movement at the 00:33 time mark. That can be explained by changing the speed of the playback. That movement would be possible at a very slow speed. They sped up the video to make it look like there was no drag.

Are you talking about the movement at the 00:30 time mark? Did you try it here on Earth in air? Anyway, those covers are stiffer than the Chinese flag. The two are not comparable.
    Anything pulled in a straight line would not flutter unless it were being dragged through a liquid or gaseous medium. Look at the similarity to the movement of the flag at the bottom of my last post. It's clear that the conditions are the same. The only difference is that the Chinese flag is stiffer.

My argument is not that it whips around and goes the other way. My argument is that it flutters the way the flag in the "Underwater Rainbow flag" video does.

Just look at the movement at the 00:30 time mark when he moves the flag from right to left. It lasts less than a second. Tell us what is making the flag flutter when he moves it in a straight line. Don't mix your explanation with any other movement at any other time mark.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Then you would see occasional frantic looking movements when the flag was deflected by water as it is normally (see your video.) There were none.
    How stiff was the Chinese flag? How stiff is a binder cover? Newtons per meter will work fine here.
    Exactly. That flag did not flutter. It only flapped around left to right. Not once did you see the sort of flutter you saw in the underwater video.

You have proven that it was not filmed underwater. Congratulations.

9. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

You're either playing games, or we're not talking about the same thing. At the 00:29 time mark he pulls it from right to left three times. I'm talking about the second time. Do you see the flag fluttering at that point?

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Okay. So you come here, believing that everybody you're talking to is a paid sophist. Why bother? If you don't come expecting an honest conversation, why do you come?

All of this could equally be applied to you, though, couldn't it Freddy? If I understand it correctly, you have been flitting around the interwebs literally for years now pushing the same tired old arguments about the moon landings. You've been banned from one forum after another. It must take an unusually thick skin for you to persist in the face of overwhelming criticism and non-acceptance. Most of the world is against you when it comes to acceptance that the moon landings happened, let's face it. Does this make you emotional? It doesn't look to me like it has much impact on you, if any. Obviously, you choose to spend a lot of your time pushing your conspiracy rubbish, and you're not deterred by any debunking. You haven't tried to improve your communication style or your substance. Indeed, the substance seems to have remained unchanged for years now, as far as I can tell. And what about your team of fellow moon-deniers? Or have they all dropped away over the years?

I see what you're trying to do there. You're trying to reopen discussion of yet another previously-debunked point. I'm not going to have you ruin my thread on the psychology of conspiracy theorists by trying to sidetrack it into another pointless repeat of your pet theory. Your only value in this thread is an example of the type detailed in my opening post.

But just briefly, I'll state the bleeding obvious.
    Or a guy furiously waving the flag around, which is exactly what we see in the video.

exchemist likes this.
  11. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

The issue is the behavior of the flag as he's moving it. It would not flutter like that in the vacuum of space. We can therefore deduce that the footage was indeed taken in a water tank. NASA knows that but they still take the position that the Chinese spacewalk was real. This has never been disproven. There seems to be a big conspiracy to keep people from seeing the proof that the Chinese spacewalk was faked. I started a thread on that over at PoliticalForum and the moderator deleted the whole thread because the pro-official version posters who were trying to obfuscate the clear proof of fakery* were looking silly. There's a point at which things are so clear that sophistry simply becomes ineffective. No one who maintains that the Chinese spacewalk was real has any credibility and is not to be taken seriously when he or she analyzes Apollo hoax evidence, 9/11 inside job evidence, etc.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?169361-The-Chinese-spacewalk-was-faked-in-a-water-tank

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And more to the point is the fact that most in the nutty conspiracy game should really be certified, based on the misinterpretations, lies and ignorance they show. If the cap fits Freddy!

13. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

Let's hear your analysis of the fluttering flag. Why does it flutter when he moves it from right to left in a straight line? What is the force making it flutter if there's no air or water?

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Freddy, as I have told you before, I refuse to watch any of your silly emotionally contrived nonsense, when all points in any conspiracy you have ever fabricated, has been totally debunked.
    I see it as more then likely that you are probably a lonely soul and this is the only way you can get anyone to converse with you.
    Pretty close to the mark Freddy? Either that or a severe medical condition.

15. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

Translation:

The anomalies that show that the Chinese spacewalk was faked are so clear that I'll just look silly if I try to obfuscate them so I'd better avoid dealing with it with some name-calling instead of analysis.

You wouldn't just get laughed out of the debating hall for this response. You'd get thrown out.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

It is bending the way a flat piece of plastic would if you waved it around. He does it several times. At one point (0:32) the fly end comes whipping around and hits him in the helmet. Again THAT CANNOT HAPPEN underwater.

Have you ever been diving?

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...le_who_claim_to_know_the_truth_about_jfk.html

19. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

You seem to be playing games. The flag is fluttering the way the flag in the other video is. The Chinese flag is a little stiffer.

I already replied to this. It can happen at a much lower speed. It can be explained by sped-up video.

The fluttering I'm referring to CANNOT HAPPEN IN A VACUUM.

Go back and look at post #504 again.
    http://www.sciforums.com/threads/psychology-of-conspiracy-theorists.144995/page-26#post-3644622

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Freddy, Freddy, Freddy...I don't need to go back anywhere to understand the crazy ridiculious and childish position you argue from.How many times must I tell you that?
    The facts are as history records, and will continually record, even in a 1000 years....We walked on the Moon in 1969 and did it five more times...Space walks are easy and the Chinese have done well in achieving this. 9/11 was a terrorist attack on USA soil, killing 3000 odd people. We have sent a vast number of probes already to Mars.
    Your thoughts will no longer be known or tolerated, and be lost in cyber space, and any fool spouting them will probably be locked up.
    Oh Freddy, as usual you fail to answer a past question for me.
    What are you and other conspiracy nuts going to fabricate when NASA returns to the Moon, and we walk on Mars?

Gee, you're going to look mighty silly.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. The underwater flag, when pulled in a straight line, shows flapping at its fly end. The flag in orbit needs to be swung violently to show any motion at all.
    No, it can't. A flag will NEVER move against the water to go to a new place. NEVER.
    I have already explained why it can. It's a flexible plastic flag, and like any flexible sheet of plastic, can bend when you move it fast.

You would know this if you have ever seen anything move underwater. I will ask you again - have you ever been diving?

22. FatFreddy Registered Senior Member

It is showing motion. Your post doesn't make sense. The end of the flag flutters the way it would in gas or liquid. Tell us what the force that makes it flutter is.

They were trying to make underwater footage look like a vacuum. If the aquanaut intentionally moves the flag toward his helmet ever so slowly, it will eventually touch his helmet. Then, by speeding up the footage, it looks like they're in a vacuum.

Again, tell us what the force that's making it move is.

I've only been snorkelling.

Nothing I've ever seen underwater would make me think that the fluttering of the flag in the Chinese spacewalk is consistent with its being in a vacuum.

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Inertia and the spring constant of the flexible flag. Pretty simple.
    No, it won't.
    Spend some time diving. Then, instead of speaking from ignorance, you'll have more to draw on, and you won't look so foolish.