Pubic Hair vs Facial Hair

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Orleander, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm apparently there are, from my own link:

"Fringe Hairs
    Hairs originating from areas of the body outside those specifically designated as head or pubic are generally not suitable for significant comparison purposes. These hairs might originate from the neck, sideburns, abdomen, upper leg, and back."

Please check the link I gave you.
    Here it is again: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/july2000/deedric1.htm#Body Area Determination

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

They don't even read your posts, Orle. Your threads are assumed to contain a lot of back and forth reminiscent of an adolescent boys locker room.
    Get your damn mind out of the cesspool, woman.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

sorry. I'm reading Sam and your links and a question pops into my mind and I ask before I finish reading.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Are you kidding me?!

It is recommended that a known pubic hair sample be obtained as soon as possible after a crime and should contain at least 25 full-length hairs taken from different areas of the pubic region.

Rape victims have to lay there while 25 hairs are plucked from various regions?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I would have said Yes before I even read the rest of the thread.
    All of our hair is basically vestigial so it's futile to look for patterns of utility. We're well on the way to being hairless mammals like cetaceans.
    And they wonder why so many rapes go unreported. BTW, it's "lie there."--The Linguistics Moderator

I recently read an interesting thing. Using DNA analysis and knowing the mutation rate of genes, they have determined that the body louse, which only grooms humans under the comfort and safety of our clothing, separated from the head louse, which cleans up the dead tissue fragments from all mammals, about 75,000 years ago. That means we now know when we started wearing clothes.

9. oiram Registered Senior Member

What about Robin Williams he is like the hair club form men’s storage facility, just think if he ever committed a crime the police would have enough lose hair at the crime scene to make wigs and pillows.

But seriously hairs can microscopically be determined by their texture and root assembly as to locate their origins on a person’s body. The thought of losing a hair and its root in a genital area hurts just thinking about it.

Funny how laying in bed after sex caused her to think of this thread, but it could have been worse, she could have said if they found her dead with the hair in her mouth….

10. buckybeam Registered Member

hmm it seems to me that they cannot always say for sure whether a hair is pubic or not. im guessing that they would have to compare a hair to another known sample.
    but it does seem that there are at times pubic hair samples that leave no doubt as to where they came from.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Can they tell the difference between an ape/monkey hair and a human hair? If an ape got into my house and killed me (no cheering!) would they be able to tell by a hair sample alone?

12. John99 Banned Banned

It is mostly in the texture. Hair analysis is very well established and a trained investigator can be right for the vast majority of times. They are expert witnesses and their testimony is used in corroboration with other facts.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How close in texture is ape/monkey hair to our own. Seems like a domestic primate would have different hair than a wild one. And an orangutan would have different textured hair than a gorilla.
    Would the softest ape hair be close to the roughest human hair?

14. John99 Banned Banned

There are exceptions to every rule. If one were examining hair taken from a mattress in an apartment building then an ape would be ruled out. I am not being facetious but investigations take into account the larger picture. I really dont know the specifics though. Even though my father was a forensic scientist.

get an enotes pass:

http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/hair-analysis