Puranas, Samhitas, Ancient Epics, and Other Text with Clues to The Nine Unknown Men o

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Edizu, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Edizu Registered Member

I become interested in the history, mythology, facts, and fiction of a Secret Society of the Nine Unknown Men reportedly formed by the great Emperor Ashoka after a discussion with a friend of mine. We were talking about ancient technology and lost knowledge that has fallen into myth or lost all together. The notion that there is a group dedicated to the collection of knowledge from antiquity and possibly through present day is very intriguing.

I’ve read a few other post in this forum with hints a clues to the Nine Unknown Men (NUM) but I thought starting a thread to post, collect, and discuss actual information from Puranas, Samhitas, Sandskrit, Ancient Epics, and other tests with clues to the NUM might be more beneficial.

Over the next few weeks I will be compiling and posting the information I have so far, which isn’t a whole lot, for you to view. I’m looking forward to individuals who have access to anything in Sandskrit that can be or has been translated to post here. I’m limited by my understanding of the language, access to and knowledge of Puranas, Samhitas, and other ancient Indian writings. I am also at a disadvantage due to my understanding of the Indian culture, history, and philosophy which I plan to rectify during this learning process and research.

I look forward to many discussions of the NUM and their relationship to India’s past, present and future.

~ Edizu

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Whatever the Nine Unknown Men may have been in antiquity. The ones taking that moniker in the 1800s were little more than Thugs (Thugee).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Edizu Registered Member

Thuggee

I’ve heard of the Thuggee (Phansigar) and their use of garottes and mass murders. They worshiped the Hindu Goddess Kali (Durga) sometimes called Bhavani or Bhowannee. They believed in their “service” to mankind by sparing us from destruction by Kali. This is not supported by all historians of course.

I plan to research the Thuggees more thoroughly but up until now I have not read anything that connects them with the NUM.

Do you have reference to the alluded connection?

Your input is appreciated!

~ Edizu

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.