Purest H2O

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lixluke, Jun 7, 2006.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Where I used to work, they needed very pure water. It was distilled several times and run through some kind of reverse osmosis filter. Very pure water like this feels slippery, and has special properties, for instance it can be chilled to below zero C without freezing, and only when a tiny seed of dust touches it will it freeze instantly. It's not good for human consumption, but if you wanted some, go find a science lab, especially one that specializes in electrodeposition.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alejandro -2 Minutes To Midnight- Registered Senior Member

well i was waiting for someone to mention ro-suffice it to say we really get ou minerals fr. the food we eat.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

So pure 100%H2O is slippery and does not freeze at 0C?
    And humans cannot consume it unless it has 3rd party molecules floating around in it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

The point was that it may be unhealthy. You can consume uranium or petrol. That doesn´t mean that you should.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Some of them, yes. And it would happen every time you drank the water, eventually you'd have quite a bit of gloop in you, made of burst cells

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Pretty much, yeah.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ik ben nu een paar daagjes terug in finland. Sinds vrijdag. En ondanks dat het nu pas donderdag is zijn all bureacratische zaken al geregeld op een paar kleine dingetjes na (dat duurde in Amerika een half jaar).

Niet Holland omdat mijn vrouw Fins is en ik voorlopig werk heb in Finland. En Finland is waarschijnlijk een van de beste plekken in de wereld om jonge kinderen op te voeden.

11. draqon Banned Banned

Ne ya chyoto ne ponyal a skakih por u nas tut po finlyandskomu razgovarivayut. Voobshe obnagleli.

12. Facial Valued Senior Member

Pure distilled water tastes a bit nasty, actually. I remember several instances of drinking it - and it has a slightly metallic taste, but that's not quite the right description. It stings your tongue, a little. Not good.

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

If drinking 100% pure H2O makes my cells explode, why am I able to drink H2O that is practically close to 100% pure?

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Because it isn't 100% pure maybe? If the water is more pure than cell cytoplasm and is left there for long enough, it will make your cells explode. I'm not saying it's a serious health risk, it's just something you may want to keep in mind.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Still does not make sense to me. Are the cells not flexable?

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/cmb/cells/pmemb/osmosis.html
    Osmosis:
    On the left is a picture of bloodcells in hypotonic solution. Cells are swollen and many have bursted.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

A friend of mine was hospitalized with a case of serious dehydration.
    She didn't understand it because she was drinking more than 3 glasses of water a day.
    Her doctor told her that the dehydration was due to her drinking distilled water.

Does that sound valid?

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I never would've guessed that very pure water was potentially hazardous to drink. I guess I'll keep in mind to drink something other than 100-percent-pure and distilled water.

Est ist denn offensichtlich, dass du kein Niederländisch verstehen kannst. Schade.

You know we don't speak Russian.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't make any sense at all.

The whole "your cells will explode when drinking pure H2O" could be nothing more than an urban legend.

But then again, that is what they said about drinking pepsi and mentos at the same time: Pepsi and Mentos Experiment.

20. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

But it's not. look at the explanation of osmosis and the pictures previously posted.

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You mean like this?
    On the left is a picture of bloodcells in Pepsi Mentos solution. Cells are swollen and many have bursted.

I'm not saying that the theory that H2O makes cells explode is invalid. It's a little far fetched, but could be possible. I have yet seen no convincing evidence that drinking large amounts of the purest H2O you can get is damaging in any sense.

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Kook kook ak ak fik fik fik beep dee tweet kikoo meep moop.

23. Facial Valued Senior Member

Cool skill, have you tried this on yourself?