Putting gold leaf on food (Food Network feature on most expensive meals)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lilalena, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

Watching tv with friends and the idea appealed to them. They want to try it.
    (The chef confirmed that gold is a non-reactive metal therefore it can be eaten.)

I don't understand why they didn't simply recoil at the idea.

Now it seems I'm old fashioned because I believe there is a difference between food and...non-food?

What's happening?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why did you? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others don't either and will eat just about anything they desire. What you eat and they eat should be only chosen by each of you and shouldn't be gasped at or questioned but if its going to injure them or cause illness then that's when to pipe up and stop them for sure.

Of course there is but just because you don't know the differences in what can and cannot be eaten then it is really up to you to find out isn't it?

Your just uninformed is all and once you educate yourself about this type of thing you'll be more understanding and not so quick to disapprove of something.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Just because something exists does not make right, or good, or something to be approved of.

8. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

Hmmm...that's a generic politically correct response, Cosmic. It misses the point -
    I'm not reacting against other people's taste in food. I'm baffled as to why they (and you) see nothing wrong about eating NON-FOOD items.

If a chef suddenly decided to make it cool to eat soft platinum, and I reacted the same way, would you also give me the same PC response as above?

Gold is definitely not food. It has no nutritional content and no taste. That was mentioned in the feature.

My question was more about

whether any one else here thinks we humans have an instinct as to what is food and what isn't.

Does anyone else think that instinct is possibly being subverted / confused in the pursuit of the next cool thing.

9. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Ah.....

In order to evaluate the effect of colloidal metallic gold on cognitive functions, the revised Wechsler Intelligence scales battery of tests (WAIS-R) was administered to 5 subjects aged 15 to 45 years, before, after 4 weeks on colloidal gold at 30 mg/day and again 1 to 3 months off the gold preparation. The WAIS-R total scores (I.Q) were calculated by adding the sum of the verbal test scores to the sum of the performance scores. After 4 weeks on colloidal gold, there was a 20% increase in I.Q scores with mean + SE of 112.8 + 2.3 pre gold and 137 + 3.8, post gold (p <0.005). Both the performance and verbal test scores contributed equally to this increase in I.Q scores. The effect of the colloidal gold persisted in 3 subjects after 1 to 2 month off gold, where as in 2 subjects who took the tests 3 months after stopping the gold , I.Q scores were down to baseline levels.

http://www.purestcolloids.com/colloidal-gold-studies.php

So, a shot a day, keeps the cobwebs away?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. whynot Registered Senior Member

Good question. I've heard of people with bizzare eatting habits. Laundry soap, couch foam, cleansers, charcoal, dirt, ect. Its a mental thing! Like swallowing money, gold.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

12. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vark

Your link says that less than 50% of the silver leaf used has the desired purity and
    What's the original appeal of shiny food? I know we like shiny things but not necessarily food. Shiny food makes me instinctively think - toxic! And your link says my instincts aren't so off.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

14. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Do you have gold poo too? A prospector walks in your toilet and starts gold panning your pan?

15. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

It turns out gold leaf isn't expensive at all, and the amount used in, for instance, Goldschlager, is worth around $5.

So now I realize the reason the first chef put gold leaf on food. It's to justify adding hundreds of $ to the price of the meal, without significantly adding to his overall expenses.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think putting gold and silver (and also diamonds - into champagne) is not pica, but a matter of elitist preferences.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Tell that to the poor African who works panning for gold, 16 hours daily, every day, and earns - what, a dollar a week?

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nah,

A lot of people think it has health benefits (see previous link).

The minisucle quantities and thus the low value of the gold is not sufficient for it to be considered elitist.

In Goldschlager the Gold flake adds about a quarter to the cost of each Shot.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

how is the title of this thread even accurate? gold leaf is cheep, a LOT cheaper than saffron for instance.

Its used quite frequently in pastry work as Sam has already pointed out.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And you think that the people who drink Goldschlager or food decorated with gold believe in its health benefits?

I think it is: because it is gold.
    Gold is the symbol of wealth and prosperity.

If there are small amounts of it in foodstuffs, this is because larger parts may cause mechanical damage to the intestines.

21. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

An n of 5..... come on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not to mention, what was the control?!?!??

22. whynot Registered Senior Member

Haha! So because it might be worth something, reguardless that it has no nutritional value you wouldn't classify it as such?

23. whynot Registered Senior Member

O.K, they now decided it has some kind of health value?

whats in gold that would do that? Protein is usually brain food right?