Quantum computer simulation

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Confused2, May 3, 2017.

1. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nacho Registered Senior Member

Granted .. you didn't say too much of what you thought about the article -- but I would like to bring a few things out:

It said: "... Quantum Computing Playground can efficiently simulate quantum registers ...". To me, "simulate" is pretty prominent there, as in a regular computer simulating what is thought to happen in a full fledged quantum computer.

And it said: "As of today the only company selling quantum computers is D-Wave, but unfortunately their architecture does not perform arbitrary quantum gate operations on sequences of qubits ..."

The article is fluff. D-Wave does not have a very good name as far as full fledge quantum computers, or any kind of quantum computers go.. You can google their name. There are articles abound that they don't even have anything approaching any sort of quantum computer.

Also, I don't see a date on the article. It looks to me to be years old, but maybe not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

From the program 'Help' Quantum Computing Playgroundwas developed in 2014 by a group of Google engineers.
    I thought it might be fun to write the code to simulate a quantum computer myself but having no idea where to start I looked around and found the program in the OP. It seems to need Chromium but didn't work on an arm cpu. After downloading Chromium for a 386 and playing for an hour or so I downloaded Chromium browser and I'm not getting any joy with that either. It looks like clicking on 'Basic Example' should provide a script in the programming bit but nothing happens. Maybe you have to commit to letting Google run your life for you, buy a garden shed or something. Revue so far is - fail.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

Aha! I think you have to sign in to your Google account to get anywhere. I find I can manage without this particular simulation - interesting though it looks.

8. Nacho Registered Senior Member

Oh. I see now what you are posting about. You're wanting a program that simulates what the BIG-GUYS think will happen if we had a full fledged quantum computer ...

VS

The reality of getting it done ... VS ... What will actually happen if we ever have a full fledged computer.

And I was commenting on the 2nd part there. I have doubts we will ever be able to build one. 1) getting it put together technically, and 2) it performing like the BIG-GUYS think it will. I see it as QM has a way of not conforming to our senses of how it should operate, and that the descriptions of it seem to work only on ensembles of particles.

It would be kind of fun to see the code. If it is developed using a randomness, I'd like to see how they get the random numbers.