Quantum Quackery Cracked? - Double Slit Experiment

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Bravowon, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Actually telescopes support the "supposition" whatever supposition you are referring to.
    "'tis frustrating isn't it?"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

I think QQ's point, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the apparent visually smooth continuity of a star 200MM LY away from us as we move around, observing it from the Earth, implies a number of photons being emitted per second that vastly exceeds what we calculate it to be locally at the star. Of course it's almost 3AM and I'm too tired to do the math...time for bed

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Bravowon's comprehension.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yeah you got it in one sentance....congrats!

Of course we can not understand the results of the double slit experiment given that the model we are using for light and EMR is fundamentally flawed and confused. [just an opinion]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  8. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Well QQ, I don't know if your objection has merit or not although I have heard it before. One thing I think you are neglecting is that just because we can ascribe dimensions to the wavelength of a photon that does not mean that 2 photons cannot be arbitrarily "close together". Bosons such as photons differ from fermions in this way. That being said, if I get bored maybe I'll run the numbers later to see if things roughly jibe.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Thanks for at least taking my complaint seriously enough to consider it.
    I do wonder however whether it is the length or the width of the theoretical photon that is in question?

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

"And the silence is deafening...."

11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

QQ: are you asking about the length and width of the theoretical particle?
    It's easier to consider the energy and velocity, rather than the dimensions of a "packet" of waves. Ask Erwin Schrodinger--he could see the problems with wavepacket models.

I mean, the guy is dead now, but he did write a few things down, and gave a few lectures.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

May be a recap of an earlier post will clarify my concerns.

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

The electromagnetic field is today considered as a geometric structure, a bundle of circular fibers at every point (say along the path followed by a photon). A photon is a 'perturbation' of these fibers in one dimension that displaces all the circles. The fibers are all elements of the U(1) symmetry group--that's "the circle" to us ordinary folks. That in not so many words is what a "particle as a perturbation of the field" means, I think.

We (as did Maxwell) can visualise the electric part of this field perturbation as a sine wave, the magnetic part is another sine wave at right angles to the electric part. The 'waves' are seen or measured because the circles are displaced/rotated in a regular way.

How this geometry is related to the spherical propagation of wavefronts is a little difficult to grasp. So is how a particle model fits into either geometry. But there it is.