Question about (ohms) in [electronics]

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Muslim, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Hi, just need some help. Basically I would like to know this.

I am connecting 4 sub woofers each sub woofer has 2 to 8 ohms load handling. (depending on the connection)

Basically am a little confused here am not an electronics expert on anything, but am thinking, if it would be better to have low ohms or a higher number of ohms load on the sub woofer. Well I am thinking the lower the better. Because I think ohms is resistances, so the less resistance the better right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Each sub woofer is 1000 watt peak, so I did an equation.
    Like this:

And I get a more realistic figure of 300 watts in other words, that is the maximum watt I can get from 1 sub woofer to operate at, without damaging anything. And at a constant rate.

So I times (X) by 4 and I got 1200 watts, this is what I would actually be getting from all 4 subwoofers at same time.

So I did this, connected everything an played some music, there was a problem, when I would listen to the music at a higher volume, the head lights of the car would start to flicker. Obviously this means, my subs and amps are taking too much power or I should change the conections.

So rather then going out an buying a new heavy duty battery I am thinking, if I decrease the ohms load on the sub woofers will that help? maybe that might stop the lights from flickering? or am I just being silly and should just get a new battery?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

How are you wiring those subs? In parallel? The 2 Ohm sub is almost a short circuit, and that's probably why your lights are flickering, if you have such low impedance subs in parallel. What impedance does your amp prefer?

It's safer to wire in parallel, that way, you won't risk drawing so much current you brown out your amp. More resistance is always safest.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think that you should sell the subwoofers, preferably not in a town that I live in. It's bad enough to listen to the damnable noise when you are only pumping 50 to 100 watts. Now you're going for weapons-grade offensive. People HATE you for doing that and would just as soon you went to jail after a cop dropped drugs in your back seat. People who steal subwoofers often don't do it for money for crack. They do it to ease their splitting headaches.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Without changing the speakers, I don't think you'll be able to change the resistance (ohms) much. And decreasing it would simply cause the speakers to draw more power from the battery, which would probably cause the lights to flicker more.

The power dissipated by the speakers, by the way, is given by

P = R I^2

where R is the resistance in ohms, and I is the current through the speakers.

Alternatively:

P = V^2 / R,

where V is the voltage across the speakers. (The power P is in Watts if R is in ohms and V is in volts, I in amps).

8. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

This is the connection I have:

shall I conect them like this?

Here is the link to the amps am using. I have two:
    http://www.jbl.com/car/products/pro...MP&ser=POS&language=ENG&country=US&region=USA

Or I can do this in sets of two:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  9. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Thats cool. Usually what they do is list peak power which is stupid, you can only have it on peak for about 10 seconds before you blow something.

10. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

I didn't get the last bit to that. But, lol 100 watts. You know when you reach 600watts, your brain from inside starts to shake, and your eyeballs vibrate. The girls seem to love it,

they get turned on with all the vibration.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Didn't get the last bit of that? People who steal subwoofers may do it just as often to silence them as for any other reason. They are very irritating. Entire tracts of forest land have been cleared just by the sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.