Question about String Theory

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by cosmictotem, Apr 18, 2014.

1. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

it also appears you did not understand his comment either.
    i do not understand what his pay grade has to do with the math involved.
    was he saying he does not get paid enough to touch it ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You mean to say that the 11th dimension is not a brane consisting of strings? Please clarify.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That is two ad hominems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

Is that what you mean when invoking the term "signification" with "in a sense, it's not the same as string"?
    Please clarify.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

seriously??
    saying an individual does not understand is not an ad hominems.
    comical.

and it not difficult to understand the difference.
    it's unclear because you do not understand to begin with.

my advise, spend time on both, then it shall be seen.

and also, use an actual paper, not wikki.

8. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

The statement, "That's or it's above my pay grade." Is a way of saying that something is outside my area of expertise or understanding. See Wiki, for a more in depth explanation/definition, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_my_paygrade

I understood him fine. Perhaps the next time some one uses that particular phrase, you will understand their intent also.

P.S. Sorry but I am not going to go look for a peer reviewed paper to explain the intent and meaning, of what to me was a common phrase.

9. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

from your own source,

" , or just isn't paid enough to deal with the problem. "

10. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

krash66, just to be clear! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND STRING THEORY, It is WAY above my pay grade.

11. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

I sat or we sat and talked for about half an hour, before his wife pulled him away for dinner, and yet you having not been there, seven years later, think you better understand what his intent was?

You should, at least at this point, understand what my intent was in these last few posts.

I doubt that there are a handful of people posting on this forum that really understand string theory... And again I am one of that majority, that doesn't know more than I have read in a lay oriented book or press release.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Instead of discussing semantics, why don't you "enlighten" me exactly where the Wiki narrative on M-theory fails.. I promise I will understand.

13. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

no. i'm not saying that was his intent. that's why i asked if it was.

i referred to that because you claimed,
    " Is a way of saying that something is outside my area of expertise or understanding ",
    when in fact , it also means exactly what i stated.
    it's that simple.

it appeared your intent was to say i'm wrong, when you have no clue at all on the subject.

14. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

ahh yes , i see.

you want me to spoon feed you something that you can not even grasp?
    how you will ever understand if you can not even understand what is clearly written?
    it's a waste of my effort and time.
    then you will probably just tell me i'm wrong, which is typical.
    and now i swear you are just trying to argue rather than actually trying to learn.

15. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

So what I read into what you are saying now is that.., you can twist the meaning of a phrase you understand and then claim the author meant something else or did not understand what they meant?

REALLY! If you understood the meaning of the phrase as used in conversation, why would you intentionally assume a literal interpretation?

And just what is it you think I was saying you were wrong about? I'll have to go back and see if I can twist things around, to find out.

16. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

comical, talk about twisting words
    i swear you are just trying to argue rather than actually trying to learn.

what a joke.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

4 !

Are you telling me that you are participating in this thread to tell posters they are wrong, or are you here to share information. Yes, spoon feed me. I promise I will not say you are wrong. My intent here is to learn (be spoon fed) about string theories and how they relate to m-theory.

Am I in the wrong forum? Please note that I am not participating in the Physics Forum. I am not qualified to participate in formal discussion or debate.

But yes, in this thread your efforts now consist of wasting time .

18. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

(shakes head)
    every time i come to this cesspool, it's the same ridiculous nonsense.

19. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

I don't see that!

Here is how the "discussion" developed. Preceded by some comment about string theory vs M theory ....

Above you made a comment, responding to someone else... I responded.., the key element relative to your comment in bold. And followed by an admission that I Don't Really Understand String Theory, with a personal experience from a long gone cruise attached...

To which you replied,

Which sounds a lot like you misunderstood the phrase.

But note if you read through slowly and carefully, I never said you don't understand string theory. I said, "Only someone with an intimate knowledge of the math involved could tell the difference...".

Most of those posting on this forum, even many who have some background in math, are not likely to really understand string theory.

My comment was general. It was not a comment about what you do or do not understand, beyond that one phrase involving pay grade. I don't know you..! And you have not posted enough to have any idea where your knowledge base resides.

However, as I read it in this case you jumped the gun reading into my early comment something that was not there.., and misread the phrase about pay grade.., then reacted defensively.

I believe, note I did not say I know.., that you will find what you bring to the discussion.

20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

look,

it's as simple as this,

" Which sounds a lot like you misunderstood the phrase. ",
    except the phrase also means,
    " or just isn't paid enough to deal with the problem. "
    which is printed exactly on the source you provided.

" I don't see that! "
    amusing.
    i like how you are trying to cover up what you were leading to.
    again,
    every time i come to this cesspool, it's the same ridiculous nonsense.
    (shrugs)

" are not likely to really understand string theory. "
    this is a ridiculous thing to say.
    according to who, you ?

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

smiles

22. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

yes..
    exactly what i thought.
    you are just interested in arguing.
    pathetic.

23. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Tell me, did you really misunderstand what my intent in using the phrase was?

And do you really believe that I gave you enough information, in the brief statement about a conversation some 7 years past, that you really know more what the person I was talking with intended when he used the phrase?

And yes according to me, when I know physicists working in other areas that admit they don't understand string theory, at least in the way a string theorist does, I am pretty sure most posters here including myself don't.

Prove me wrong explain the situation Write4U was inquiring about.., or just link me to one of your peer reviewed papers. Even if I don't understand it, I can probably tell if it is string theory or not.

And it seems all you have been doing is arguing, so ........

Since this has nothing to do with science, even tangentially, I'm done.