Question for Polish speaking person.

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Dinosaur, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

My often fallible memory tells me that dupka is the word my Polish grandparents used for rear end, fanny, bum.

A friend claims that the word is dupa.

Does anyone here know which is correct? Might there be two Polish dialects, each using one of the above?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

At a site called urban dictionary, I found dupa, dupka, & dupsko. The last meant big ass. Dupka & dupa were referred to as meaning rear end.

Might Polish have case endings, with dupka & dupsko being dupa with a suffix altering the basic meaning?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

-Ka is a common diminutive inflection in the Slavic languages, often accompanied by other phonemes as intensifiers and lengtheners. E.g., Russian kot, "cat" vs. kokochka, "kitty-cat." This is analogous to the -ito/-ita/-cito/-cita diminutive ending in Spanish, -chen in German, -etto/-etta in Italian, -ele in Yiddish, etc.

In English (a much more compact language than Russian, Spanish, German or Yiddish) we've shortened it to simply "-y" or "ie," as in doggy, Charlie, dummy, hottie, etc. We also borrowed the French diminutive suffix -ette along with thousands of French words after the Norman Invasion in 1066.

We also have an ancient diminutive ending, "-ling," which is widely used in German, e.g. liebling, "dear, honey," from Liebe, "love." We use it in that sense, as in princeling, foundling, duckling, but it has also taken on a pejorative sense, as in underling, hireling. It has fallen out of favor and is no longer a "living" grammatical construction, i.e., English-speaking people don't instinctively create new words with -ling too often any more.

So, back to Polish. If dupa means "rear end" or "butt" (which was originally a perfectly respectable word), then dupka means something like "hiney," "bum" or "ass."

English has become a very cosmopolitan language and anglophones love to assimilate foreign words and even foreign grammatical forms. In America, in addition to French -ette, we routinely form diminutives by appending Spanish -ito and Russian -nik. In the Southwest, we even use the textbook-proper Spanish inflection -mente to form adverbs.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010