question

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Oniw17, May 4, 2007.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Exactly how friction-sensitive is Acetone Peroxide?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its called the Mother of Satan, ain't it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

Incredibly Unstable molecule that one. Just blow it with wind and it will explode.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All those oxygens on it will oxidize the carbon very readily so be careful! Also if you do have it. Detonate it cause it is a bomb in effect. It is rumored that the london subway bombers used it. Just dont detonate it in front of your face, hand, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Woulod it blow up in my hands if I tried to make a pipebomb(for exmple) out of it?

8. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

Thats probobly not a good idea for an example.

9. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

yes, absolutley. I bet it would explode even when you poured it into the thing, and especially when you were carrying it. Military grade Acetone Peroxide does not explode with the slightest movement or vibration, but no one knows how to make it that way, because the Military wont let the recipie out. For good reason too, as the unstasble compound is easy to make. Besides, I highly doubt the military would use it anymore anyways. It's just too unstable.

10. Roman Banned Banned

Most pipebombs detonate when you screw then end on.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Can't answer so will ask question of my own:

Back many years ago at Cornell, some chemically wise guy in my Freshman dorm made some crystals that exploded in the hall when stepped upon. (They were purple as I recall.) What were they? - I think it was some peroxide. - You thought twice before going to the bathroom in middle of the night and if going, looked carefully where you stepped.

12. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Don't try messing with it unless you have a death wish.

13. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Please don't go and create another Columbine, Colorado.

14. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

That was Nitrogen Triiodide, a highly explosive compund, much like Acetone Peroxide.

However, it is less easily detonated. But stepping on it would definatley cause detonation. Anyways, it's dangerous, as it realeases Iodine vapour after it explodes. Did you know that is is the ONLY explosive that detonates when exposed to Alpha particles or nuclear fission products. The main thing here is, DON'T BREATHE THE GAS! You stand a good chance of dying. If this person you know re-creates it, report him. That compound is simlpy to dangerous in larger quantities. No I will not tell anyone how to synthesize it with household chemicals. This, unlike gunpowder and raw acetone peroxide,this can be used to make a very dangerous bomb.

On a lighter note, here's a video of it:
    http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/media/moov/NI3.mov

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the infromation and video. Now that you have named it I remember it was some iodide, so I am sure you are correct. The crystals were smaller than head of paper match, so I never notice or worried about iodine gas release. Now that you tell me of this danger, I am starting to wonder about a product that is sold here in Brazil for kids to play with. At most kid's birthday parties (usually held in facility designed for that with rides cokes video games etc. not the home) some kid will have some and be throwing them down on the floor. Next time I see that I will ask to see the box to try to learn what compound it is. - It may be NI3 - Whatever it is it seems to be legal - no one pays much atention, but I do not like some 7 year old throwing impact explosives around.

Although there does not seem to be any law about this, Brazil has all sorts of silly regulations, I think, often to force public to buy some one's product or service. (Kick backs to legislators work wonders.)

One, for example, requires you to have and annually trade in (exchange) a small fire extingisher in your car. I do not do this. - I have had same one for 12 years with pressure gage still in the green zone. I have taken the precausion to have scratched the date sticker on it so badly that it can not be read. I am hoping that the law failed to require you keep the date sicker legible, or at least the fine is less, and will claim I just bought it a few months ago, if stopped for inspection. (I know how to say, in Portugese: "See, the needle is in the green.")

Last time I was stopped I did not have car's ownership papers, (they differ from the annual registration papers.), with me but giving the cop R$50 to hold "as security while I drove home to get them" was OK - sure hope he is not waiting for my return - that was about 7 years ago! This seemed to be a standard proceedure and the cops are underpaid for the dangerous job they do. - Constant war between them and the drug dealers with many killed on both sides, but usually only in agreed upon areas. Sort of like the "civilized war" all practiced 300 years ago - "Next Saturday at 2PM in the west favela, agreed?" Both groups infiltrate the other so both know when the war will break out again.

Brazil is very interesting place to live, but "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" surely applies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  16. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Ah, fond memories. A little confession. Back in high school, I and a couple of buddies made two or three batches of nitrogen triiodide. And no, I won't tell how either because a bright 5 year old could make the stuff given the right chemicals, which are in any high school chem lab. As mentioned, it is unbelievably unstable (when dry). I've seen small quantities spontaneously detonate (comic ray or stray alpha perhaps?). Interestingly, when wet it's relatively stable.

Anyway, specks as small as a single grain of salt give an audible report. Nasty stuff. Toxic vapor _and_ bad chemical burns if you get careless.

You can really rattle the substitute science teacher though.

Part of my ill spent youth.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

probably by the same method used to make nitroglycerin safe to handle and transport.

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

As far as \(NI_{3}\) goes, here is another video: http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/jcesoft/cca/cca0/MOVIES/NI3IOD.html

Question: if this chemical is so sensitive to touch, how exactly can they put this stuff on a board to detonate it later on without it going off prematurely? Further, how can one even transport this stuff??

19. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

So in other words, it's useless?

20. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

As I posted earlier, as long as it's wet (saturated with H2O) it's no problem. If even one speck dries out, _big_ problem.

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh ok. I found information about how to prepare nitrogen triodide. It does mention that when you filter the solution with NI_3 in it, you must move it to where you want immediately. Failing to do so and you could hurt yourself.

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

not if you clean the threads with an oily rag first. it wil remove most explovise shavings and it will contain and smaller ones within the oil so that they cant spark.

23. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

yes, I dont know how you can make it stable for bit, but i'm guessing to get it out fo that "stable" state, you just heat it up.

As for the Nitrogen Triiodide, yes, thats how you make it safe, is by soaking it in water, then to make the explosion you heat it up, I would assume thats how they made the bomb.

Are you familar with theis process? I would be interested. Not for bomb making mind you, just curious.

Billy T,

If it is just a small grain size peice, I wouldnt be to worried. The gas produced shouldnt be to bad, Still though, I would be interested to know what they put in it to keep the box it comes in from exploding.

Last edited: May 14, 2007