Questions on atheist morality

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Apr 30, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No it's not. The rules create society. God just keeps people from straying.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clown Banned Banned

Are you claiming that there are atheists just as naive and emotionally driven, as theists are?
    I'll be damned.
    I always thought reasoning and honesty drew one to rejecting superfluous entities which we call atheism.

What does religion say about thinking you are wrong, rather than right, in this case?
    I would hate to be immoral.

It's almost remarkable that animals don't kill each other off, without our religiuos grace.
    I saw a cat that had adopted a puppy once on T.V. It but have been due to a feline epiphany.
    God work in mysterious ways.
    He lets dogs die, like dogs, but then saves one for the cat's enlightenment.

I would think that dying is the highest of nature's judgments.

Is the need to believe in comforting delusions, based on childish fairytales and traditions, and nothing else besides, also part of these needs?
    Is the need to justify an absurdity so that you can continue living in ignorant bliss, also not a need?
    I'm confused.

Is not the belief in God, 'good for the individual'?
    I'm shattered. What sacrifices you believers must endure.

I'm assuming that there's another definition for good and evil, better than that one.

How about this one:
    What's good for the group, is only considered so, when it is also good for the individual.

I don't know...what if God told him to do it?

Put it to you this way:
    Will he get caught?

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myles Registered Senior Member

What has that to do with atheists always calling theists names ?

If there were no religion, societies would create rules so that they would remain cohesive. There is a payoff which has nothing to do with a putative god.You are claiming too much in the name of religion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

as far as I see, this discussion is over

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

I second that

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yup, its over.

Atheists are not a group and atheism is not about morality and atheists all criticise theists claims but do not all follow the dictionary definition. Good and evil is a religious concept that has no relation to atheism.

10. Clown Banned Banned

Finally, the fat woman has...sung.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Correct. If that is what you were refuting, I cannot disagree. Atheists are not a group. Atheism is only about one's position on theism. Good and evil are religious concepts.

However, morality is not dependent on religious concepts. One can accept the label of atheism and also be a good person. Good and evil alone do not represent moral thought. Separating people into good and evil based on religious tradition is the source of much violence. People are seldom purely good or evil. Secular humanism is an example of how ethical behavior can originate using logic, reason, and our innate human compassion.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Morality is always relative to the group. An individual has no reason for morality.

13. Clown Banned Banned

Where do I sing up for the group meeting of those that do not believe in flying saucers?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Being an atheist doesn't preclude being a member of another kind of group, a family, a community, a town, city, or country.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Finally.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

But does it help create it?

What are the occasions which unite not just family, but also community, town, society or country or countries?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No atheism is just a philosphical position on theism. That doesn't mean atheists cannot act out of motivations other than religion.

Occaisions I can think of would be growing and harvesting food, fighting fires, building structures like barns and roads, having fun at a party.

19. Clown Banned Banned

How about common self-interests and needs?

I cannot hope to include myself in such an esteemed group, as you all are, but I'm hoping my need for inclusion will be enough.

Isn't S.A.M. special?

20. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

oktoberfest

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why do you have a need for inclusion in a group you reject?

22. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i think he was beign sarcastic

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member