Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Magical Realist and Write4U like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I meant I've never "read" that book...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I know that the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started.”

Ernest Hemingway
    A FAREWELL TO ARMS

“Nighthawks”
    by Edward Hopper

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seattle and wegs like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I’m not able to copy and paste using Sci-Forums’ URL link when using my phone, anyone else? You can still click the link above and you’ll see the quote but it’s not the same.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

The Dog’s Diary
    8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
    9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
    9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
    10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
    12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
    1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
    3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
    5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
    7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
    8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
    11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat’s Diary
    Day 983 of My Captivity
    My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
    The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!
    There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
    Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.
    I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

wegs and Magical Realist like this.
  10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I use IMGUR, that img posting site you told me about. Seems to work ok. I'm on my laptop.

https://imgur.com/upload

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    wegs likes this.
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, I’ve always used that site for posting pics here but posting the link under the “paper clip” icon on here will allow you to post pics that way, as well. It doesn’t seem to work though when using my phone. Oh well, not a big deal.

Magical Realist likes this.
  12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I grew up in the Northeast, and remember how quiet it became when it snowed. It felt like you were the only person on Earth; it was eerie and peaceful, all at the same time.

Magical Realist likes this.
  13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

wegs likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

If there’s one book you should read this year, it’s this one.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“If qualities have odors the odor of courage to me is the smell of smoked leather or the smell of a frozen road or the smell of the sea when the wind rips the top from a wave.”
    Ernest Hemingway
    DEATH IN THE AFTERNOON

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

“We waste so much energy trying to cover up who we are when beneath every attitude is the want to be loved, and beneath every anger is a wound to be healed and beneath every sadness is the fear that there will not be enough time.

When we hesitate in being direct, we unknowingly slip something on, some added layer of protection that keeps us from feeling the world, and often that thin covering is the beginning of a loneliness which, if not put down, diminishes our chances of joy.

It’s like wearing gloves every time we touch something, and then, forgetting we chose to put them on, we complain that nothing feels quite real. Our challenge each day is not to get dressed to face the world but to unglove ourselves so that the doorknob feels cold and the car handle feels wet and the kiss goodbye feels like the lips of another being, soft and unrepeatable.”

Mark Nepo, The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I always loved that feeling particularly on a ski slope, maybe mid-week when there weren't as many people around. There's also a certain elevation (near the top) where it gets particularly quiet and where the air just seems "thick". Of course the atmosphere is thinner the higher up you go but but to the cold conditions, frost, low hanging cloudy, the feeling can be that the air is thick and quiet.

You don't have to be on a ski slope naturally for the effect that you are talking about. I lived in Spokane for a while and it is nice and quite just after a heavy snow. I also like the effect at night where a little light can easily be reflected so it's quite a bit brighter at night as well.

There is also that effect of taking a potentially boring or even "dirty" cityscape and making it "beautiful" with the white blanket of snow.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yep, freshly fallen snow on the ground, it feels like you’re walking in a different world where nature is asleep. I’ve never been that “elevated” so it’s probably an epic experience!!

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Under those conditions when you get off the chair lift it feels like you are in a different world.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life”
    —Jack Kerouac

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I would sum up my fear about the future in one word: boring. And that's my one fear: that everything has happened; nothing exciting or new or interesting is ever going to happen again ... the future is just going to be a vast, conforming suburb of the soul”
    ― J.G. Ballard

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023