Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Tom Hanks (2011): "Hollywood is exactly like high school, with money! It's filled with just as much pettiness, sadness and jealousy -- as well as fun and senior proms and parties."

wegs and Magical Realist like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are– bald or old or fat or poor, successful or struggling- when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.”
    ― Charles B. Handy

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The late great George Carlin was born on this day in 1937

“People are fucking nuts. This country is full of nitwits and assholes. Do you ever notice that? Oh, my goodness, yes. Oh, my goodness. Yeah. Nitwits, assholes, fuck ups, scumbags, jerk offs and dipshits. And they all vote.”---George Carlin

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

He saw this....

(warning crude language)

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Gotta start somewhere. Honest, bright, people of conscience do sometimes get elected in spite of the odds.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“One cannot ignore half of life for the purposes of science, and then claim that the results of science give a full and adequate picture of the meaning of life. All discussions of 'life' which begin with a description of man's place on a speck of matter in space, in an endless evolutionary scale, are bound to be half-measures, because they leave out most of the experiences which are important to use as human beings.”
    ― Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel

wegs likes this.
  11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

"I'm an older person, like a fingerprint on an abandoned handrail" (Mortimer)

wegs likes this.
  12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“We are beasts, you know, beasts risen from the savannas and jungles and forests. We have come down from the trees and up out of the water, but you can never, ever fully remove the feral nature from our psyches.”
    ― Yasmine Galenorn, Totem Magic: Dance of the Shape-Shifter

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Dead people receive more flowers than the living ones, because regret is stronger than gratitude." - Anne Frank

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“In my experience, the most staunchly held views are based on ignorance or accepted dogma, not carefully considered accumulations of facts. The more you expose the intricacies and realtities of the situation, the less clear-cut things become.”
    ― Mary Roach, Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“When you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.”
    ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
    ― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Everything I learned in my life, I learned because I decided to try something new.”
    ― David Lynch

spidergoat likes this.
  18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“But the most important thing to know about being an introvert is that there’s nothing wrong with you. You’re not broken because you’re quiet. It’s okay to stay home on a Friday night instead of going to a party. Being an introvert is a perfectly normal 'thing' to be.”
    ― Jenn Granneman, The Secret Lives of Introverts: Inside Our Hidden World

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I don't believe in colleges and universities. I believe in libraries because most students don't have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn't go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years.”
    ― Ray Bradbury

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"His eyes had all the seeming, of a demon's that is dreaming."--Edgar Allen Poe

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

wegs likes this.
  22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

“I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways.” - Rumi ❤️

Magical Realist likes this.
  23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”
    ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

wegs likes this.