Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I am no wise man. Every day shows me how little I know about life, and how wrong I can be. But there are things I know to be true. I know I will die. And I know that the only sane response to such a horror is to love.”
    ― Nando Parrado, Miracle in the Andes

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Whence did the wond'rous mystic art arise, / Of painting SPEECH, and speaking to the eyes? / That we by tracing magic lines are taught, / How to embody, and to colour THOUGHT?”
    ― Marshall McLuhan, The Medium is the Massage

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind." -- Edward Bernays, in his book "Propaganda"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Paranormal events are just the edges of the infinite we “happen” to encounter.”
    ― Doug Dillon

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"Facts no longer matter. We simply decide how we want to see the world and then go out and find experts and evidence to back our beliefs." -- Farhad Manjoo

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“A selfless person is never bored because there is too much splendor in the world – the ceaseless inspiration proffered from the exquisite images of nature – constantly to invoke ecstasy.”
    ― Kilroy J. Oldster, Dead Toad Scrolls

10. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"The most successful terrorist organizations on earth are government tax agencies..." -- Joseph Sobran

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Nice to aim high but keep your target within range of your ability to carry out

Anon

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Don't you hate that? Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable? That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.”
    ― Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction: A Quentin Tarantino Screenplay

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Anatomists today would be hard put to identify the brain of a visual artist, a writer or a mathematician - but they would recognize the brain of a professional musician without a moment's hesitation.”
    ― Oliver Sacks, Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear." -- John R. Stockwell, former CIA Officer

sculptor likes this.
  15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I have noticed that those I know who are adept at learning languages are also adept with music.
    I surmise that both originate from the same area of the brain,
    ?

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Emptiness which is conceptually liable to be mistaken for sheer nothingness is in fact the reservoir of infinite possibilities.”
    ― Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

"if it all falls down, yell JENGA and make a dash for the snack bar"

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The best thing about being dead is that you don't know about it. It's like being stupid - it's only painful for others.”
    ― Ricky Gervais

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The wizards were good at wind, weather being a matter not of force but of lepidoptery. As Archchancellor Ridcully said, you just had to know where the damn butterflies were.”
    ― Terry Pratchett

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important.”
    ― Bertrand Russell, The Conquest of Happiness

sculptor likes this.
  21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The most valuable thing we can do for the psyche, occasionally, is to let it rest, wander, live in the changing light of the room, not try to be or do anything what so ever.”
    ― May Sarton

sculptor likes this.
  22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

if its as big as you say it is
    imma gunna let you finish

23. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"The U.S. can destroy Iraq's highways, but not build its own; create the conditions for epidemic in Iraq, but not offer health care to millions of Americans. It can excoriate Iraqi treatment of the Kurdish minority, but not deal with domestic race relations; create homelessness abroad but not solve it here; keep a half million troops drug free as part of a war, but refuse to fund the treatment of millions of drug addicts at home... We shall lose the war after we have won it." -- Marilyn Young, historian, talking about US government values and priorities