Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.
    After that I liked jazz music.
    Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.
    I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.”
    ― Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    sculptor likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Be content with what you have;
    rejoice in the way things are.
    When you realize there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.”
    ― Lao Tzu

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world. Don't let anything stand in the way of the light that shines through this form. Risk being seen in all of your glory.”
    ― Jim Carrey

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.”
    ― Matt Groening, The Big Book of Hell

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“There is a LIGHT in this world. A healing spirit more powerful than any darkness we may encounter. We sometime lose sight of this force when there is suffering, and too much pain. Then suddenly, the spirit will emerge through the lives of ordinary people who hear a call and answer in extraordinary ways.”
    ― Richard Attenborough

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I can hear your whisper and distant mutter. I can smell your damp on the breeze and in the sky I see the halo of your violence. Storm I know you are coming.”
    ― Robert Fanney

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Ten times a day something happens to me like this - some strengthening throb of amazement - some good sweet empathic ping and swell. This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness.”
    ― Mary Oliver

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.”
    ― Dave Barry

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Write4U likes this.
  12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”
    ― Steven Wright

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Your mind is like a parachute
    It only works when it's open

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Backstrap cat ?

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

butter?

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What Jazz music have you been listening to?

This may shed some light;

Magical Realist likes this.
  17. river

To the rest of Magical Realist post#1241

After that I liked jazz music.
    Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.
    I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.”

― Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality.

The Whole Context of the Quote was missed Write4U .

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No, Magical Realist did not recite his own experience, he quoted the experience as told by Donald Miller, in context of spirituality.

But this had nothing to do with music but with a form of empathy that had nothing to do with music.

I took the context and explained how this conversion to Mr Miller's liking jazz happened and it was not from watching someone with his eyes closed blowing notes in a saxophone. It was a subjective take on what really happened.

It was the musical construction (composition) that created the resonance. I merely showed an expert explaining how and why this affinity to jazz actually happens and why some composers create bland repetitive pop music and some create musical masterpieces, that do not only make you close your eyes, but make you cry from being transported into a different harmonic reality.

The fundamental principle of story telling in poetry, prose, and music, is to create tension, release, tension, and final resolution. Not watching someone close their eyes while playing music. That's what the musician does to block out distractions.

I have posted several masterpieces by Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays in the thread "What's on your iPod".

Go listen and watch the live performances by the Pat Metheny Group. There is mastery of musical composition.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  19. river

First Highlight

Agreed

2nd Highlight

And Ideas .

Write4U likes this.
  20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The most valuable thing we can do for the psyche, occasionally, is to let it rest, wander, live in the changing light of a room, not try to be or do anything whatever.”
    ― May Sarton

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

The guy who invented autocorrect died last week. His funfair's on sundial

Hywel Davies

May he rust in pieces

Me

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness.”
    ― Terence McKenna

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The ground of the spacetime domain is the frequency domain. What exists beyond spacetime isn’t anything mysterious and unknowable, it’s just frequency, i.e. the domain of pure mind, of pure light, the photonic domain: immaterial, massless, maximally length contracted (it does not experience space) and time dilated (it does not experience time), unextended and dimensionless; everything that matter is not. The photonic domain of mind is simply Leibniz’s world of pure monads, Descartes’ world of thinking substance, and Hegel’s world of the Absolute Idea. It is the inside of reality.”
    ― Thomas Stark, Inside Reality: The Inner View of Existence