Radiation damage was known before 1960

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by timojin, Sep 26, 2016.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

Ionizing radiation, such as gamma rays, X-rays and radioactive particles can cause cancer by damaging DNA. However, how this happens, or how many tumors are caused by radiation damage has not been known.

Previous work on cancer had revealed that DNA damage often leaves a molecular fingerprint, known as a mutational signature, on the genome of a cancer cell. The researchers looked for mutational signatures in 12 patients with secondary radiation-associated tumors, comparing these with 319 that had not been exposed to radiation.

https://www.mdtmag.com/article/2016...=5574494&et_rid=%%subscriberid%%&location=top

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Uh, not all sure why "before 1960" is relevant.
    Nor why that particular date.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

I was in a group were we analysed irradiated meat and changes effect on meat

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Doesn't answer any of my points.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sure. This was known around 1898, although the relative risks of radiation were not appreciated until around 1940.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

State clear your question . I have similar problem , I have to guess her questions

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It's quite simple:
    What does "1960" have to do with anything stated in the link you gave?
    Why, in particular, that year?

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

I am sure Madam Curie probably aware if it also . I believe there was a doctor in this country that feed himself and some of his family with radioactive material to become , I don't remember if it was in the 50 or !960 es. to become Immune to radiation, there was also the incident in Rockford Il. watch factory were the worker liked their fingers wile painting the dials in watches . and that was also way before 1940, M
    My point was I worked on proteins in meat affected by radiation . I am not trying to impress any thing on you, It was just to say work have been done on proteines , and in this post It was mentioned , study on how radiation create certain cancer .

12. timojin Valued Senior Member

The OP remind me when I first time got involved with radiation harm.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In other words a completely meaningless irrelevance as far as everyone but you were concerned.

14. timojin Valued Senior Member

What direction in science is your specialty ? so I can post some challenging to you , perhaps I might be able to learn from you.

15. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

You have seen timojin post before, haven't you?

Daecon likes this.
  16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Thinking.