Rape in animals?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by water, Jul 1, 2004.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Male Koalas constantly rape female Koalas when it is breeding time. If she is tired and refuses the male Koala will litrally drag her against her will and have sex with her. See the video, it gets quite violent.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Smartio Registered Member

I am a chameleon breeder myself, and believe me if i would do what those males do, I'll be in prison and never come out.
    Even if the females are biting, they just take em.

Who has ever seen animals courting seeing stick there tongue in their partners mouth?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Well, that's the thing: Is it really true that the reproduction is always the goal when animals have sex?
    We only assume so.

Are there any observations that speak angainst such assumptions?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

All animals are inspired to mate because it is a pleasurable experience for them.
    The real reason behind every animal having sex (including humans) is reproduction.
    If animals really had repoduction in mind while mating that would mean they are smarter than us.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Don't sealions and sea elephants overpower the smaller females. It almost looks like rape.

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I mentioned them spurious.
    Geeze what the hell is wrong with you?! Argh, I'm furious

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm furious at spurious!

10. monkey king Registered Member

maybe exist

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Oh ja...i see...

12. Kumar Registered Senior Member

If reproduction is only the goal--do the animals knows that they are doing for reproduction? I don't think it is like so. It is the nature who created this willingness/exitability/voilance or like rape for encouraging the reproduction. It is bit matches with the nature's law i.e. 'survival of the fittest'. Alike when a human rape--it may be just due to this initiation. But just to avoid jungle/nature's rule, society may put certain restrictions & punishment. It is not just by thinking -to do the rape but it is just by natural initiation to encourage for reproduction of the fittest.

13. Zero Banned Banned

What about the entire domain of sex outside the penis+vagina world? I hope you're not suggesting that the "real reason" gay males hump each other is reproduction? :bugeye:

14. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Believe it or not, a lot of animals don't realise that having sex will produce offspring! They just get a pleasurable feeling from it (like eating good food when ur starving!) and then a few weeks or months later, the female reaslises she is suddenly pregnant. To the animals, this might as well be a spontaneous thing which occurs in all females during their lifecycle!

15. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Having sexual urge is clearly nature's reproductory mechanism. How the urge is fulfilled depends on various factors. This mechanism generally ensures that the urge is mutal and enabling for both male & female for the sake of reproduction. Whatever violence against female & deviations in the process don't come under the scope of reproductory mechanism.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Everneo,

If they don't come under the scope of the reproductory mechanism -- under the scope of what do they come then?

17. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Under what scope they come under is a difficult question to answer, for me. But reproductory mechanism restricts itself with arising & enabling sexual urge in males & females. A loose analogy to this would be, its like handing over a loaded gun to someone, in the hope that he uses it properly. Whether the shooter passionately shoots the genuine target OR fanatically shoots the easy targets OR having a tendency to shoot the wrong targets is upto the shooter.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Why then nature created this violance? Is it not common among all animals? If it is not a part of reproductive mechanism--why it is made to form a part of the game? Does it enhances or improve the reproductive mechanism? All these questions are to be really thought. Btw, do you have any technical knowledge that more the violance better can be the reproductive mechanism---may enhance forcefull ejection & strong sperm to reach first (just for the "survival of the fittest"). I don't know if it can be linked to sex determination.

19. Phantom Registered Member

Why was the assumption made that sex is pleasureable for ALL animals just because it is for humans. Exactly how was it found out?

Since we make the generalisation that dogs wag their tails when they're happy, do dogs wag their tails while humping another.

Or do they show it in another way?

20. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Kumar, its as simple as males can mate much more than females and are 'programmed' to do so. If a female refuses and a male is feeling really horny (as he is often likely to do so) then he might break whatever civility he had and rape her. In humans sometimes it is more complicated (it could be just a dominant thing etc.)

21. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

The assumption was made Phantom, that animals DO NOT actually realise that what they are doing when they are having sex is passing on their genes. How then do the genes get the animals to do it? By making it pleasurable. Might not be the same pleasure we experience however

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Kumar Registered Senior Member

John,

Yes it is ok but I was just thinking that if there can be any technicality is involved in this voilance. When it is more exited/voilent-- can't it be possible that more healthy sperms are first reaches the target OR Can it be related for sex determination?

23. water the sea Registered Senior Member

If it is all programming: Why then are males programmed to mate much more than females?
    There seems to be a quite an unequal dispersion of the sexual instinct between the sexes. Why?