Rationality versus religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Skeptical, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Seriously. By if they are truly saying that hate god(s) then they are inherently claiming that god(s) exist. They can't be atheist imo. Now if they hate the "idea of god(s)" that's a different thing. Or if that hate religion...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

yes..but still they claim to be atheist..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

they are rejecting the religious idea of god more than likely. it is rather ludicrous and the religious details just add more to dislike or be abhorred by.

so, what do you expect? if one hates the concept of god, doesn't mean they actually do, it doesn't exist. now if it exists, then i guess they do hate god but as for now, there is no proof. so what is the point, again?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the issue with religion is that the concept can have power in itself and take on a life of it's own. it doesn't need to be proven as an entity. people will act on this concept and that is why there will be those who oppose if or find it even reprehensible for a variety of reasons.

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

ahh...there is a difference between those who believe in god and those that believe in religion..
    that made my head go;

9. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Squirrel

The rejection of belief in deity is often emotional. A child is raised to believe in a deity, and is conditioned from a young age to believe that rejection of that belief leads to punishment. However, that child develops that "terrible affliction" (from the view point of theists) - he or she learns to think rationally. The result is a rejection of deity. However, the emotional conflict is with all that sh!t rammed down the poor kid's throat about divine punishment.

No wonder that atheists often resent and are angry about theism.

10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

true enough..
    with the exception, i would say the conflict is with those who had told him what to do and how to believe..not with god himself..
    even if they learn to hate religion, it must be understood that religion doesn't always portray god accurately..so again it comes down to it is not gods fault that ppl screw it up..

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

That's because there are parts of the world where religion is trying to control what is taught in a science class. Science is literally under attack from some religions. In the US that attack is mainly from those who label themselves as Christians.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i never said there wasn't such a thing as stupid christians..
    i just claim not all christians are the same..
    speaking of stupid christians..my daughter was here..

13. gmilam Valued Senior Member

And not all atheists are the same.

14. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

and not all theist are the same..

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

That's right, we're all unique...

16. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Squirrel

I have no argument with God, because I have seen no credible evidence that any such deity exists. It is not possible to have an argument with something that does not exist.

However, I have an argument with non rational beliefs and arguments. This extends way beyond religion, of course. I have a similar argument with those who believe in ghosts, little grey men from outer space, and most alternative medicines.

It is not so much the subject of such arguments I dislike. It is the lack of rationality.

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

sound like you are sick of the 'script' of religico's

asgard?

i have become a fan of melatonin..helps me sleep..and helps my granddaughter get to sleep..she has been know to stay up for hours..(adhd)
    emotions are not always rational..

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

19. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think a lot of people do hate religion and the idea of god for valid reasons, and i think those reasons are why some require that god be put in this box, or in a lab, and poked, examined, and manipulated, as if they can find a way to exploit god for their own purpose or agenda. and if you're going to do that then forget science. just be religious.

how does the premise that god is an intelligent entity that wants to have a personal relationship with you, that's all about you, factor into this desire to put god in a lab?

21. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Why science?

Because science has proved itself in recent history. Over the past 400 years, it has progressed at a fantastic rate, delivering enormous benefits to humankind.

Religion, on the other hand, is stagnant. It has changed in its basic essence not at all. From the ancient Israelites who slaughtered their enemies in the name of Yahweh, to the Christians who burned witches. Even today, there are large numbers of religious right who would tie me to a stake in the middle of a bonfire, and fight for the right to light the match, because I am an unbeliever.

Religion is consistently barbaric and primitive. It has failed to meet the challenge of the age. And we are told to trust it rather than science. Yeah, riiight!

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

but religion isn't god.

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately god has not answered the door when many of us have knocked... For better or worse, we have not had an experience like yours. So what else have we got to go on? :shrug: