Reality is an Illusion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I wasn't completely correct in my assertion. I should have stated that you can't prove a negative without constituents that exist, but if something has those existing constituents then you don't want to prove a negative because it's generally not feasable.

For example. Prove the afterlife doesn't exist. You can't because it requires a rebuttal of all the information regarding the afterlife. Furthermore, the level of proof required to rebut the information will be put to the Cartesian test, "beyond any doubt". This means that there has to be zero doubt in the minds of anyone whom the proof is presented too. In other words, it's absolutely impossible. In this scenario, you can; however, find something that does exist and directly contradicts the assertion 'the afterlife exists'. That's the difference between disproof and contradiction and the latter is applicable to your argument.

Similarly, in the other category (something with existing constituents), I can say 'Disprove a needle is in that haystack'. While it could be done, it's not at all realistic.

Actually there is a case where constituents exist and the assertion automatically contradicts itself. For example, prove that there are no elephants inside a bumble bee. Clearly the size of an elephant (amongst many other reality violations) automatically self-contradict the assertion.

Hope that makes more sense.

Coming back to this assertion, I re-evaluated it and might just be getting hung up on semantics. My hallucinations typically had sensory and emotional components that might be considered a base off of which to derive from (if that's in fact what you meant by mixing mental images of 'real things'). The difference in my hallucinations came in the form of the quality, the configuration, and the quantity of the experience.

Just for hypothetical example, if you're a 7-dimensional construct that operates with more sense and emotional differentiation than human's experience in their daily lives, then is that the result of deriving from real things?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's the first time we talked about that, actually...

I think theri definition is pretty clear. Subjectivity is our perception of the world and objectivity is the actual truth, independent of our perceptions.

You forgot to take probability into account...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the universe should not exist by law and rule, but it does so when talking about such matters maybe not taking physics so seriously would be of help.

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Hannibal Lecter Gentleman and Cannibal. Registered Senior Member

Reality is both real and an illusion.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How? Real in our minds but not materialistic? I could see that possibility.