Reality is mathematics / Mathematics is reality ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Write4U, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Just to add some math history:
    The much heralded Fibonacci sequence was first utilized around 450-200 BC by the early Indian mathematicians for use in standardizing the meter (Rhythmic length) of Sanskrit poetry. It had nothing to do with material objects. It was a part of an oral tradition that was supposedly used as an aid to students of mathematics and other Indian knowledge to remember what they learned ( orally). (?)
    It was only in the 12th century AD that the Fibonacci sequence acquired it's name, by it's utilization in a book written by Fibonacci in 1202, Liber Abaci (also spelled as Liber Abbaci)[1] ("The Book of Calculation") re: wiki
    This book apparently discussed the idealized breeding patterns of rabbits....
    There is a lot to be said about early Indian mathematics which was hundreds of years ahead of their European counterparts.

Mathematical formalization of the Fibonacci sequence didn't occur until perhaps a thousand years after it's first acknowledged use...

Write4U likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

And all represent a physical thing(s)

They are all symbols of physical things , at their root .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

You can't measure , or quantify anything , which does not exist .

Further

We beings are physical beings . Therefore mathematics is based on physical living beings understanding of Ourselves and physical things here on Earth and in Cosmic Space .

Mathematics does not bring any physical things into existence , mathematics is not capable of doing this at all .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

It needs not be defined. It applies to all values. Multiplication is a function.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No, they the human symbolic representation of functions (interactions) of physical things
    At their root they are the human symbolic representation of the values of physical things.

Look at it this way; A rock is a physical thing and it has several values which combined make up the specific properties of that rock and the specific potentials to perform work inherent in that rock.

The universe does not employ numbers, it employs (inherent) physical values and (orderly) physical interactive functions. This is the "mathematically" deterministic aspect of universal physics.

9. river

My point made .

Mathematics can never make anything physical , exist .

Without physical objects , mathematics would never exist .

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Lol, true. Without physical objects, nothing would exist, including physics.

But physical objects do exist and have inherent values and interact in a (relatively) precise manner which humans have observed and symbolically formalized as mathematical values and functions (processes). The human accounting of physics is made possible through the language of human alphanumerical mathematics.

Physics is the study of the universal mathematical values and functions of physical objects and more recently the metaphysical (theoretical) potentials of fields, IMO.

Lest we forget, the universe existed and functioned exactly as it does now billions of years before man came along and wondered why....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

....and how....

I really don't see how that can be controversial....

11. river

Disagree

Physics is the study of physical objects , movements . and why they do what they do in a certain environment .

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And how do you keep track of all that you learn from your studies? What is the human symbolic language of physics which allows us to understand the how and why of physical movements in their environments?

Before there was a written language we verbally described the universe in religious terms, you believe that makes for better understanding?

13. river

The point is , my point is , is that mathematics creates nothing physical . Never has never will

Religion ? What has religion have anything to do with this discussion ?

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I believe it is a form of exponential function.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Fibonacci_sequence

15. river

So what , really so what ?

As I mentioned before , all physical objects will have mathematics that can be applied to it , Naturally .

No surprise .

So what is your point , Write4U ?

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

OK. The mathematical values and functions of physical objects do create the observable universe.
    It's the only "theoretical" descriptive option other than mathematics. "God made the physical universe and everything physical therein".
    OK, and..........?

Do you have another option? What is the language of physics that explains the orderly way physical objects behave?
    "The earth (a physical object) moves in a "physical orbit" is the more precise description than "the earth (a physical object) moves in a physical orbit by means of "orbital mechanics"?
    Also applicable to the earth and every other physical object in the universe.

Equations
    Efficiency measures
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_mechanics

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I find such orderly attributes of the universe and its functional progressions remarkable.
    The universe and everything therein functions in a naturally prescribed mathematical manner, which humans have been able to codify into human symbolic mathematical language.

Can you answer this question; "Why is it that human symbolic mathematics work so well in describing universal values and functions?"
    What is the logical answer to that question?

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Hundreds of years of refinement and adjustment, bringing our virtual sensory organ of mathematics into better and better focus.
    Like a microscope, or radar.
    But it's still a bunch of approximations - abstract models of selected features that match closely enough what we want to account for.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Universal mathematical values and functions determine how physical things come into existence, if at all.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

With spectacular success!
    I agree that human maths are approximations, but natural maths are the actual inherent values and functions of physical objects, from the values and functions of quarks and electrons to the value and functions of the entire universe.

Human maths are sufficiently precise to allow us to artificially imitate most natural phenomena.
    The physical production of the Higgs boson is an example of applied maths at nano scale, IMO.

Natural mathematical values and functions are the inherent abstract abilities (potentials) of the physical world. IMO, Universal laws (constants) are the abstract conditional mathematics which permit or restrict physical behaviors.
    Human maths are the approximations, but they work undeniably with spectacular success, once refined to approximate the universal maths.

I am not familiar with any other explanation of how the world works, other than theism, which actually employs a form of mathematics with the approximation of a 6 day "creation"..

21. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

As you have been told many times, mathematical functions do not determine how physical things come into existence. Mathematics is used to create models of what we observe in nature. I fully realize that this difference is way to subtle for you to understand, I just am adding this for the other people who might read your post.

exchemist likes this.
  22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Interesting you should use an abstract mathematical function to tell others mathematics are not universally functional.

Natural Models (patterns) don't exist in nature?
    So how does it work in reality?
    What is Physics?
    Ok, and expressed how? Physically?
    OK, and by what criteria? Physically?

You are telling me what not the how. Input --->Process --->Output = Physical function? or Mathematical function?

Mathematical physical functions? Physical mathematical functions?

Mathematical values and functions are abstract universal potentials (the Implicate), physical values and functions are physical universal expressions (the Explicate). (IMHO)

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

origin,
    I don't just spew this out without some consideration. I find several compelling arguments for the assumption that mathematical functions play a vital role in universal processes.

http://www.kavlifoundation.org/science-spotlights/brain-or-universe-–-where-does-math-come#.XBPk_dJKjhc