Reasons not to believe in God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Magical Realist, Nov 3, 2012.

1. river

To further what you have presented Aqueous Id

From John Lamb Lash's book " Not in His Image " (pg 70-71 ) chapter 5 Messianic Madness

"The monastery[at Khirbet Qumran ] , this structure of stone that endures, between the bitter waters and the precipitous cliffs, with its oven and it's inkwells, it's mill and it's cesspool, it's constellation of sacred fonts and unadorned graves of the dead is, perhaps, more than Bethlehem or Nazareth, the cradle of Christianity "

" Khirbet Qumran, " the ruins of Qumran " , is located about thirty miles east of Jerusalem, overlooking the Dead Sea. From 1947 into the late 1950's excavations at this desolate site produced an unprecedented trove of ancient writings. The finds included complete works such as the earliest manuscript of Isaiah, as well as thousands of stamp size fragments that had to be painstakingly joined , like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The scrolls were written between 250 b.c.e. And 70 c.e. , when Jerusalem was destroyed by the Roman army in a draconian attempt to repress the Jewish Revolt. The aim of the revolt was to establish an autonomous theocratic Jewish state in Palestine, consistent with the first two elements of the redeemer complex. Such was its political and military aim, at least. But the cult of the Khirbet Qumran also had another agenda, an apocalyptic program of final retribution, consistent with the third and forth components of the redeemer complex:the coming of the messiah and the last judgment. The lethal combination of militant and mystical factors is not unfamiliar to the modern world, of course. The Zaddikim sect of the Dead Sea presents the larval form of the global terrorist syndrome of today "

Just to add what is meant by the redeemer complex by John

1) the creation of the world by a father god independent of a female counterpart

2) the trial and testing ( conceived as a historical drama ) of the righteous few or " Chosen people "

3) the mission of the creator god's son (the messiah) to save the world

4) and the final, apocalyptic judgment delivered by father and son upon humanity

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Thanks Jan, you answered Aq's question for me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neverfly Banned Banned

Actually, it's more pointed in your direction. An atheist cannot believe a child is cursed... but you can.

8. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Whatever you do, don't demean yourself.

Now back on the thread theme - many may want to argue that there is no point in having "reasons not to believe in God," because that suggests that God exists, only God does not seem to come to the party and explain why there is suffering.

You can't say for example, that deformed births are bad, because there is no "good" and "bad" in this world according to science, it's all relative, part of probability and subject to time and circumstance.

If you believe that the general consensus to be compassionate is "a developed human trend worth keeping",

then, we cannot say it must be kept, indeed, compassion may be preventing progress, and may have to be eliminated.

Only the general trend of evolution has the right to determine what is acceptable and what is not, and it does that through the god of science - pure mathematics, and of course many accidents.

But you are saying - defects are sorry and bad, therefore that is a reason not to believe in God. Do you have a right to make a statement about good or bad?

In that case, it is of equal importance to say that, if flowers bloom, couples fall in love and the vast majority of babies are terrific, they are reasons not to believe in God.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Why would you say that when it is clear that I have not stated it?

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

m

Neverfly, go back through the thread and see where the idea of deformity (in children), and the link to God, originated.

It seems like a gigantic freudian slip, and elaborated on by Neverfly.

jan.

11. Neverfly Banned Banned

I did not say you did. I said you're capable of believing it even if you do not. An atheist, however, cannot believe God cursed a deformed baby as an atheist does not believe that there is a God. There cannot be a curse. The atheist is incapable of believing what was asked him. The question is an absurdity.

A believer in God can. An atheist cannot.
    Tell me where to look. I don't feel like reading the whole thin over again based on your claim that I've missed something. I know, that seems rude, but it's honest. I really don't feel like doing it so I won't.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Apologies, I meant to say ''elaborated on by AqueosID.

jan.

13. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Quite right, you did say "can" - and defined why.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

An atheist is capable of seeing imperfection in things.

For example an atheist will argue that this world is a poor and imperfect design therefore God (as defined) cannot exist. True or False?

jan.

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

This is one way of looking at things. However, it's the lack of intelligence, design, or creation that makes atheists lack belief in the described God.
    It's not just that there's no intelligence on design, it's a lack of any interference whatsoever in real life that believers in God claim as evidence.

I realize the satirical videos for you may be awful, but it illustrates my point very well.
    [video=youtube;fnjfxCp92pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnjfxCp92pc&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;Lcrq5OOkQdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcrq5OOkQdk[/video]

16. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Profound with implications that cannot be denied.

17. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

It takes a creative mind and intelligence to appreciate God's handiwork. The objections of an atheist are self defeating.

Nobody is denying an imperfect world - with many problems, but the good stuff is far more proliferant, otherwise life could not go on.

I may be on a tangent here.

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Post 17, then post 35.

jan.

19. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

These people have both, and see no reason to contemplate a god.

People like Forrest Ackerman, Terry Pratchett, Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Kingsley Amis, Arthur C Clarke, Anton Chekhov.

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheist_authors.

Please try not to make such imbecilic statements.
    Please do think first.
    Your point becomes moot, when you don't.

20. Neverfly Banned Banned

How so?
    Pretty much you just said what that video I posted said- He's invisible and intends to be invisible. Let me paraphrase what you said a moment ago:
    "It takes a creative mind and inventiveness to appreciate God's handiwork."
    This does not follow. The very concept of "good" is subjective and based on our perceptions. Life, out there, in the wild, has a lot of hazard and sickness and frankly, a hell of a lot of "bad." It goes on- Life goes on- even when individuals do not. Over 99% of species that ever existed have gone extinct. Life is rough, it's hard. Survival is not an easy task. Life manages and it copes. We find the 'good' in some things, we shun the 'bad.'
    A coping method you may have is to pray. To hold a faith in a divine being that cares about you as a person. That watches over you. And that is fine. Another person might have a tic, like twirling hair or twiddling thumbs. As an atheist, I object to the lack of critical thinking only when that religious beliefs condemns scientific progress and understanding as "Bad" because it kinda... shows where some of their beliefs are absurd. It's not as though scientists intended to do that- they merely wanted to understand the world. Nonetheless, some religious folks take great offense to this and they encourage ignorance. I find that a douche thing to do.
    But if a man goes about his business, does the best he can and takes comfort in praying to God each night, I'm not offended by that. If he demands that I do it- then I'm offended. It's not really a bias, it's a preference for a working model of reality, not a fantasy. What's this to do with kiddos with five legs?
    How does that parent cope? Hmmm... The implications for religious belief then become problematic, where excuses and vague apologetic become required. Options?:
    -Pray about it. May help emotionally cope but the physical results will equal exactly squat.
    But from a secular stance, it's a matter of acceptance of what simply is, then finding a working solution to the problem:
    -Remove excess limbs and corrective surgery to adjust two proper legs in alignment to facilitate walking.
    -Leave limbs in place and use physical therapy and equipment to assist the child until the child is old enough to choose for himself whether he wants the surgery
    -Dress child up as an unfortunate overgrown insect and pass him off as the family pet. This is the least popular option...
    Thanks- Post 17 shows a reason he does not believe in God as a designer, no mention of deformities as a curse.
    Post 35 explains in detail that it's a reason he shared for lack of belief in the designer, again no mention of the accursed.

21. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

this is not a secular stance, this is ANY reasonable stance. Please don't equate all religion with christian scientists, that is incorrect. Most religious people would pray that a surgery goes well, not in place of the surgery, and if perhaps, prayer is not for making God intervene but is for the person praying, so what, that is no rational requirement for not doing it.

22. Neverfly Banned Banned

Cole grey, it is secular. That position (regardless of the beliefs of those involved) does not deal with any divine intervention, any God in any way. The rationalizations that some Christians will do, (Both surgery and prayer) is merely a method of coping, not an effective way of finding resolution.
    The methods are entirely secular.

I find it interesting that you point out that it is the reasonable stance.

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Neverfly,

As I said, AiD elaborated.

But the question still remains, why bring up deformed children as an example of God's non-existence in the first place?

jan.