Red Cold Loving Bacteria For Mars

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Vmedvil, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Vmedvil Registered Member

I get that however it doesn't have to be that way, more is better right?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Your link says the population is expected to peak at 11 bn.

"Peak" means it won't grow any further, you see.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vmedvil Registered Member

Well, fine I was wrong about the population growing to 50 billion someday, I still would like to place these on Mars, exchemist. I don't quite understand why you people are so against this, usually people say "Sure, go for it" but with you people it is like pulling teeth don't you wanna go to space too someday? You know what I really wish I didn't belong to a species that was basically in the technological stone age just barely having got past the horse and buggy, honestly. Why wasn't I born a Grey Alien or something I ask myself... I think they would appreciate genetically engineered bacteria to go on another planet that they were trying to colonize.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vmedvil Registered Member

I wanted to say that the Earth sucks, I have absolutely no idea why you would want to stay confined to this rock... All the spacefaring civilizations in the universe would laugh if they ever were reading this from whatever corner of the universe they have control over and think about how backward those humans are. I hope you realize we have to be the laughing stock of the entire universe that is in space and I am not trying to even be a douchebag to anyone I am just saying spacefaring civilizations have to laugh at this stuff. I sincerely hope this gets transmitted through a satellite out into space by someone using satellite internet and via light waves someday a spacefaring civilization sees this in millions or billions of years when the entire 100,000 ly galaxy can see it and beyond(https://www.hughesnet.com/media/did...nternet-uses-radio-waves-transmit-information).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  8. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? No. Where did you get that?

More COVID is not better. More cancer is not better. More people than lifeboats is not better. More money than sense is not better. More debt is not better.
    Or the envy of every civilization that has never gotten off their own planet. Depends on your perspective.
    No one here is saying that. Go to Mars if you want. But the idea that we will somehow stop population expansion by shipping people there is just silly. Again, do the math.

At the peak of the cruise industry, 30 million people went on ship-based cruises each year. An average cruise is millions of times easier, and fifty times shorter duration, than a flight to Mars. 140 million people were born during that same year.

So even if you could somehow make flights to Mars as easy as cruises were at their peak, and could somehow ship out as many people as we do on boats, you wouldn't make a dent in the population increase.

9. Vmedvil Registered Member

Fair Enough, I am not a sociologist, sometimes I wish I had gone for psychology or sociology so I could mind control people with my voice, it would make things easier.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

You have some strange ideas about what psychology and sociology are.

11. Vmedvil Registered Member

Well, I was kinda kidding but however if you studied human behavior for let's say 20 or 30 years you would definitely have some insights on the exact right things to say to get what you want.

12. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Assuming for a moment, for the sake of argument, that this plan would succeed in oxygenating the Martian atmosphere, what’s the time frame? The oxygenation of Earth’s atmosphere by microorganisms took rather a long time. Here’s one geochemist who says it took 250 million years….

"What it looks like is that oxygen was first produced somewhere around 2.7 billion to 2.8 billon years ago. It took up residence in atmosphere around 2.45 billion years ago," says geochemist Dick Holland, a visiting scholar at the University of Pennsylvania. "It looks as if there's a significant time interval between the appearance of oxygen-producing organisms and the actual oxygenation of the atmosphere."​

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/origin-of-oxygen-in-atmosphere/

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

True.

It is also unclear what benefit would come from oxygenating the Martian atmosphere, given that the atmosphere pressure is <1% of that on Earth. These microbes would only convert the atmospheric CO2 into O2. That would be far too little to support most organisms imported from Earth, let alone human beings.

14. Vmedvil Registered Member

That is valid I have no idea how long it would take to turn 95% of the atmospheric CO2 to O2, I suppose you could calculate the intake of CO2 that a average bacteria has then do some math magic with how quickly it replicates from one bacteria to whatever your final number of bacteria is, then do something with a integral and find the area under the curve but I didn't get that far. However, what I do know this is supposed to be after you melt the polar ice caps of Mars and Restore the magnetic field that was the concept I was using these for.

15. Vmedvil Registered Member

With the pressure you would need to thicken the atmosphere by melting the polar ice caps by slamming one of mars' moons into the planet and restoring the magnetic field so the solar winds wouldn't blow it away the atmosphere you have added, What you thought that terraforming a barren planet into a earth-like planet would be easy?

16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Me? Hardly. It seems to be you that thinks it is feasible.

17. Vmedvil Registered Member

I don't think it will be easy, but what other choice do we have go to the centauri system or another star then hope there is a planet that is earth-like perfectly suited to our needs as a species? I think you will find that would be equally a pain in the butt.