Red Red Wine... and Grapes

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Epictetus, May 5, 2012.

1. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Welcome to SciForum, Nicky. Did you register just to underline my point? (Thanks)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

No, you are in error and "proof by testimonial or anecdote" is invalid (does not work). Get the point? :shrug:

In the spirit of science though, please cite your source for this revelation.

Welcome to SciForums. Why don't you stop by the Members Forum and introduce yourself?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Which are your favourite Australian wines, Asguard?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Thought I already said, yarra valley shraiz and dry whites. If you want labels the yarra burn shiraz viognier, pepperjack and some of the mclaren vale wines are really nice too, alpha box dice for one

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

AFAIK, there is no scientific evidence that red wine has any special health benefits. The idea that it does seems to come entirely from the observation that French cooking has lots of things known not to be good for the heart yet their life expectancy is better than Americans etc. PLUS fact they drink a lot of red wine.

This observation did cause scientific investigation of red wine to learn what was uniquely strong in it - answer: resveratrol. So still with no scientific tests, resveratrol was assume to help the heart, clear arteries etc.)

More recently it has become known the normal digestive processes in the gut destroy essentially 100% of the resveratrol before it gets into the body / blood. (The gut is "outside" the body - topographically humans are doubly connected domains same as a donut is). There is a company, which has seen profit potential (in exploiting ignorance, as often is the case) and soon will have resveratrol chewing gum for sale - idea, which they will no doubt promote, is direct adsorption under the tongue etc. does get the resveratrol into the blood more than 1000 times better than letting the gut destroy most of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

While I suspect that the benefits of red wine get more hype than they deserve (because we love to think that our luxuries are good for us, and the media is happy to play up to that love), there does seem to be real evidence for a cardioprotective effect associated with moderate red wine consumption.

A huge number of papers can be found by searching PubMed or Google Scholar for "red wine cardiovascular". I've had a look at a few, and they seem to show good evidence. There are several large population studies, some controlled trials, and a shipload of laboratory investigations into activity of particular chemicals.

Resveratrol does seems to be a red herring, despite promising in vitro results... it's questionable whether it exists in high enough concentration in wine to have an effect, regardless of whether it's absorbed or not. But it's not the only component of interest. There's also a plethora of research involving other ingredients including other polyphenols, antioxidants, alcohol itself, and interactions between them (alcohol seems to aid the absorption of polyphenols, for example)

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Note I said:

"AFAIK, there is no scientific evidence that red wine has any special health benefits."

Not that there is no health benefit to drinking moderate amounts of red wine (or any other beverage with moderate amounts of alcohol in it. - A can of beer may be helpful too if only one a day, but that gives too little alcohol vs calories for net benefit, I think. Beer bellies definitely are not good for health but more beer AND EXERCISE that keeps you trim is benefitial.)

In the PUB MED etc. articles, you read was there any "head to head" test of red wine vs. same volume of water with same amount of alcohol* in it? - I suspect the water alcohol drink is "not inferior" to red wine.

Anyway, please give link to the strongest evidence for red wine you found.

* I think there is a huge amount of scientific evidence showing moderate use of alcohol is good for health, especially heart related problems.

BTW, PUB MED is a wonderful source of health related FACTS. My radical prostatetomy failed as a cure. (At low level, after it, my PSA doubling time was only 30 days* - a very aggressive set of a few cells got left in my body.)

With nearly 100 hours of effort at PUB MED, I found 7 diet items with at least two pier-reviewd articles showing benefit against PC. (red wine´s agent was one, but later review let me notice that the studies showing benefit were "in vitro" against PC cells.) I now take only four items, initially only before dinner, but now before all meals. When I increased the dose by factor of three, there was well defined "dose effect." - My PSA actually dropped. In Brazil it cost me zero to measure PSA and Testosterone, so I frequently do so and go off drug (use only diet) until my PSA climbs to 0.1, which is very low, then return to drug use.

I am now 3.8 years since the operation and starting to show slight indication of drugs losing effectiveness, which is usually pronounced at about three years. I.e. my "therapeutic diet" supplement** definitely helps, but is not a cure. Perhaps the intermittent use of drugs also helps delay the onset of hormone refractory PC. All studies except a recent one, have shown intermittent drug use is "not inferior" to continuous use. It is obviously cheaper, and allows testosterone to return to near normal level just before returning to drug use. However, most intermittent use has much longer periods on drugs and then resumes drug use when PSA is 10 or more. I.e. I am trying very short cycles compared to the norm.

* Three measurements in first 9 months with no drug or special diet (As then expected to be cured) were: undetectable, then 0.1, then 0.8 at three month intervals.

** One item is very hot red peppers. I am adapted to them, but at what I think is the safe limit. About once per month, I go into a cold sweat about 10 minutes after the dose - although adapted so they don´t consiously burn much, they seem to make body think it is over heating.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  11. romnickhudges Registered Senior Member

Yeah I agree with that! Red Wine is definitely good for health. Actually, you can have a drink red wine everyday provided that you limit it to one glass only. Some experts say that its really good for the overall circulation of the blood and can help you lose weight. I'm not an expert though but I think it's true that red wine has many benefits to our overall being.