Reheating leftover chicken - a dilemma

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Jan 21, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've failed miserably when I try to reheat cooked chicken in the microwave. Typically, it turns out quite rubbery, and it's horribly inedible. I tend to time it for 3 to 5 minutes, but the center can often be chilled, while the outer edges are hard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This doesn't happen when I reheat hamburgers, or pot roast, for example. (in the microwave) Only happens with chicken. Any advice on how to prepare leftover chcken in the microwave, so it tastes nearly as good as when you first grilled/baked it? (I have an indoor grill, and I'm tempted to ''re-grill'' it, although I'm not sure if the meat would be too chewy.) I'm wondering if I should bake it on low in the conventional oven, around 250 degrees for say 15 minutes? That works for dinner, but if I take leftover chicken for lunch to work, I'm stuck again.

TIA.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I've been a vegan for nearly four decades, but from my occasional occupational cooking stints, I'll never forget sizzle pans:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/16/dining/food-stuff-the-little-pan-chefs-can-t-do-without.html

Perhaps serious "foodies" use them in home kitchens, but I've mostly encountered them in restaurants. In the past, only restaurant suppliers sold them, but I think they're more widely available these days. And, seriously, they're like magic. With appropriate hydration--liquid or oil--and creative covering, they work well at higher temperatures--425 to 450 should not be a problem, if you're attentive--and in short time.

wegs likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Couldn't access the article (asking viewer to subscribe), but I googled ''sizzle pans'' and they look perfect for what I'm needing, here. I've seen these in restaurants, like if the server is bringing out sizzling hot fajitas or something. Didn't realize that's what they're properly named. Thank you, I'm gonna give it a try.

As an aside, what do you eat in place of meat/eggs, that sustains/satiates you from a protein perspective?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I think the bulk of my protein comes from legumes and nuts--a lot of nuts. For me, fat is more critical: I'm an extreme ectomorph and keeping my BMI in the vicinity of 17-18 has been a lifelong struggle. Consequently, I'm extremely generous with the high quality oils and eat the fattest foods I can--again, nuts, but also, a lot of avocados.

I can't stress the merits of sizzle pans enough. It's possible to err, I suppose, but they're very forgiving--kind of like well-seasoned cast-iron.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

YYMV with chicken, but usually, when your'e trying to preserve the moisture content in the outer layers of something, try dampening a paper towel and wrap the food in it before putting it in the nuker.

wegs and paddoboy like this.
  9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It works with frozen meat pies certainly!

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Ah, I eat almonds, almond butter and avocados on the regular - had half an avocado tonight, but with two eggs. I could manage a vegetarian lifestyle but vegan might break me. Lol Glad you enjoy it and it works well for you. I’m a long distance runner and enjoy some vegan proteins that I’ve discovered (better than whey tbh)

Forgiving is good. lol I’ll look for one online.

Hmm, okay! I hadn’t thought of that.

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

You might also try with the chicken on a plate with a large cup of water in the middle

Depending on how much chicken you are reheating start at 30 seconds and work up to 2 minutes

Would not go above 2 minutes as the edges tend to dry out and water can be to hot to take out safely

Good luck

wegs likes this.
  12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Which is what the damp paper towel obviates.

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Reheating stuff in the microwave (I don't do meat, just everything else)
    - you could try those microwave zipper bags (pricey, but reusable)
    - or a bakelite or microwavable pie or cake-pan as a cover over the plate of chicken
    Then again, if you need 5 minutes to heat a single serving, your microwave may be losing power.

wegs likes this.
  14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

In my experience reheating any sort of meat, apart from slow-cooked stews and minced meat (meatballs, cottage pie), is a terrible idea. It is always tough and rubbery and always tastes stale*. I do not believe there is any way round this. By far the best things with cold meat is to enjoy it cold, in salads or with pickles, etc., as was always done traditionally. The chemistry of the cooking process shortens the fibres and oxidises the fats and you can't undo this.

Cold chicken is particularly versatile: it goes well in prepared salads, is excellent with mayonnaise (Coronation chicken is a classic variant) and can make decent sandwiches. I would not dream of trying to reheat it.

*I have particularly miserable memories of my mother currying leftover cold lamb from Sunday lunch, on Monday evenings. F***ing inedible rubber, with a horrible taste. But I quite like cold lamb with a few cornichons for lunch.

wegs likes this.
  15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

hahaha Yea, you're right. It tends to be okay if used in a salad (cold) the next day, or perhaps cold in some other way. Moral of the story, only make enough chicken to eat for one night. Problem solved.

16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

......or else plan on cold chicken in some form for lunch a day or two later.

When I cook one for my son and myself (or often a guinea fowl, as they are a bit smaller), there is generally half to a third left over, including a leg. I find the legs don't dry out like the breast does, so we tend to eat the breast and a leg when it s hot and then the remaining leg and whatever other bits and pieces remain are quite good cold. I quite often do them as a pot roast and the small amount of cooking liquid remaining sets, overnight in the fridge, into a very tasty chicken jelly, which helps, too.

Or my butcher will sometimes cut one (chicken - he would not do that with a guinea fowl) in half and sell me one side, which is ideal for two.

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think you are reheating it for far too long. It's already cooked and you've stored it in the refrigerator (and not the freezer) right? Try 30 seconds and see it that works. If that isn't enough you shouldn't have to go any more than 1 minute.

If you are rewarming chicken and rice...cover it and add a few drops of water to keep the rice moist.

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Anything chopped up in a stew or casserole will reheat just fine in a covered container.
    It's naked hunks of meat that do not fare well.
    Here's a simple solution: Stop eating naked hunks of meat.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe in a burrito. Otherwise, chicken is never as good reheated. It's just a fact of life.