Reincarnation: Frightening.

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Does anyone else feel this way? Reincarnation is more frightening then just ending after death because you don't exist, but you do. Aren't you scared of your memory, love, ideas, and problems you've overcome to be washed from you and you have to start life anew, as someone else? I like ending better.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

I think the most scary thing is not knowing what happens!!!!!!
    Reincarnation would be wkd tho!!! I want to come back as me ( but taller/cuter and cleverer)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ink x

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I would like to continue, as long as I can keep my memories and personality. Although, like Inka, I would like to be a tad better looking (I'm a rather ugly bastard).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

I feel really shallow now!!

8. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

That's what I mean though, doesn't the thought of not keeping your experiences, etc. Kind of scare you?

9. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

A little bit - but not as much as the thought of losing my face!!

Agree with you though it is a little strange to think about - but no more so than other things. anyway if you were reincarnated you wouldn't remember so would you care???

Maybe you go to another world where you remember the future and not the past or maybe you do remember everything and this is just our first time living??!!

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If we did reincarnate, i think the situation would be like it is now, because that would have meant we are currently the result of reincarnation. Does that make sense

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Love

Jan Ardena.

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but doesn't the idea, as you now, scare you?

12. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Sure, the idea of having an interlacing memory behind your own is intriguing, but hardly frightening. I think the idea of having all of our expreinces washed away at the end of our lives would be comforting-it would mean that I don't have to worry about anything but the here and now. You can really abdicate yourlself in terms of sins, crimes, and depressions if you know that in the end, they wil be irrelevant. It's as if eternity is an ocean- you can float about for awhile, but then you are inevitably sucked up by the undertoe and, well, killed.

Our experiences aren't so important anyway- we can do without their eternal preservation. Aside from that, we deserve the need to experience without one conscious- living with yourself for eternity can be pretty damn boring. The idea of catharsis can be applied to all areas, you can reinvent yourself, or you can simply 're-become'. Awareness is most important, what follows is just a game.

13. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I just like being the person I am, I've worked for it. And I disagree our experiences may not be that important on the cosmic scale but they shape us as a human being. All the "sins, crimes, and depressions" make us up, I don't like the idea of learning all my lessons over, ot knowing who I originally was, and maybe ending off worse then I did in this life. But maybe that's what I said in my former life........ Oh well if it's true there's not much I can do, besides I can't really care after it happens. Just scares the shit out of me thinking in the before hand.

14. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

How good are you? Morality is relevant, so in most lives, no matter how you perceive society, you'll feel like you've accomplished something. You are being selfish by assuming that the small contribution you've made to the world is all you'll ever need...in fact, you (and I mean a collective 'you' not you, Cactus Jack) are most likely afraid of failure to think that there's something wrong with being able to part with your accomplishments. We want to horde ourselves because we are afraid of never being ourselves again. Fact is, we never are oursleves in the first place. We are only mortal bits of catharsis, star dust with no propulsion and only dreams.

SO, instead of dreaming of what you have, dream of what you might have, and feel secure enough about yourslef and your vision that you can abdicate it, in death, and feel optimistic enough to assume that life will come again. If reincarnation is never true, and there is no heaven, no god, or no life but our own, the message is the same. You occupy all lives in the space of one. Living in eternity, one would have an eternal frame of reference, but, we may only have one. That's not bad- in fact it's our eternity. We have it to become eternal with

15. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Allright I had some trouble with comprehending your post (no offense). But I'll reply on what I seem to get from it. "Fact is, we never are oursleves in the first place. We are only mortal bits of catharsis, star dust with no propulsion and only dreams. " My dreams, some would consider simple. But I've had to work damn hard to achieve them. We may have no propulsion but I like wandering, and searching. Setting goals and going for them. The idea of learning every life lesson over again, and worse yet not being me, is terrifying. "SO, instead of dreaming of what you have, dream of what you might have, and feel secure enough about yourslef and your vision that you can abdicate it, in death, and feel optimistic enough to assume that life will come again." I don't feel optimistic about life coming again, because it truely won't be 'my life'. It won't be 'me'.

If I missunderstood, I apologize.

16. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

If you don't keep your memories isn't that the same as just ceasing to exist? To me it really seems to be the same thing.

17. kmguru Staff Member

From what I read in Indian philosophy and after talking to several Indian Hindu and Buddhist priests....

1. Reincarnation does not exist. It is a suggestion to keep people honest in this life and society...therefore it should not be frightening....

2. Reincarnation is a process by which universe learns and grows. each program could have multiple threads based on the objective of that program. In this scenario, based on your present life, a thread can be queued until all requirements are fulfilled. It is no different that the present thought that the time line can split to multiple worlds based on tampering or events in timeline.

What is frightening is that if we accept the mulriverse where like jet li (ONE) we have multiple counterparts, and each part getting reincarnated...to complete an object...it gets complicated.

What we do not know for sure is that whether documented cases of reincarnation is a case of accessing the akashic records or real. If real, does that mean, at the end of the cycle, somebody puts the programs/experiences together...

If the knowledge of whether reincarnation is real or not, does not affect the way you live....then...it is at best...interesting...at worst...who cares....

18. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Well I've just come to accept it. If its what happens after we die I have no say, and now I don't care. Hell is probably a better alternative to just "ending" so I don't care.

19. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

It would suck soooo bad!!!
    I mean, that means you would keep coming back and seeing the earth die and the air turn to poison and everybody die in huge nuclear explosions!!! AAAAAAAGH!!!

20. kmguru Staff Member

Not unless your master self wanted that way...

21. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

22. The Metatron Registered Senior Member

Mabey you dont have to come back mabey your soul, spirit or what not can choose to come back if it wants. What scares me about reincarnation is the fact that you might live in pain fear or sickness just to have the chance to live it again.

23. kmguru Staff Member

Suppose you are a poor person and experiencing how the poor live, then you decided that it would be nice to know how a rich person lives - so after your physical death, you will come back as a rich person. But... if you went from rich to poor...your mentality would be different and that except your understanding of the poorness, you will not have a desire to come back as rich, you will accept the status cuo...another but...you may have other strong wishes such as some back as female or a priest or whatever your spirit plans are.

At least that is the theory...

I have been told by a few psychics many years ago regarding this and my life is heading in that direction. Wild guess perhaps. The proof of the pudding is what is going to happen in 15 years. If that happens, then may be this reincarnation thing is for real....until then, my mouth is sealed.