Reincarnation: Frightening.

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 29, 2002.

1. jjhlk Guest

When I die, my brain is going to rot in the ground along with the rest of what used to be me, therefore eliminating my chances of reincarnation. May seem a little grim but I like to stay firmly grounded in reality.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

....reality???....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jjhlk Guest

Eh? I don't understand the connotation.

Edit:

Thought I'd share a 'poem' about what Atheists think of death.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

8. jjhlk Guest

Ah, but nobody created the stars.

But i'm hardly an astronomer, so I'll have to leave it at that.
    Science has a lot of depth, and I only know so much.

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If you know for sure that nobody created the stars, then you know alot more than your letting on.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Love

Jan Ardena.

10. Protozoa Registered Senior Member

The concept of reincarnation isnt terribly frightening to me. Although I seek to obtain the Buddha state where I will be reborn no more.

11. kmguru Staff Member

How would you know if you will be reborn or not? You can do life long Buddha stuff but just before you die, if you say, "I wish I had a son who could do this for me" - you will be back.....

Like communism - it works great on theory but in practice....

12. Protozoa Registered Senior Member

Im not saying that I know for a fact I will be reborn. but it is my belief.

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

14. Zero Banned Banned

?? but your memory will live on in other living people. In the form of history. So I'm not scared of getting my memory washed away.

Assuming that I believe this!!

15. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Choices

Interesting discussion! Many of you have put a lot of thought into the business of reincarnation. I can tell by the responses.

My beliefs.....You are whatever you choose to be. If you choose to be afraid of reincarnation then that you will be. I don't feel that you will be afraid for long, because you will choose again. All of life as well as death are choices (free will). The choices we make creates our realities, either collectively or individually. We are creators (created in the likeness of God).

16. incendiary Registered Senior Member

I fear losing all i've come to learn about life and myself. I fear that reincarnation will have a hellish fate instore for me if my life lessons are lost. I fear that i will be a republican or worse the next Bill O' Riley!!!!!

But i do wonder if we are clean slates missing everything that we think make us thinking beings then what is there to reincarnate?

17. machaon Registered Senior Member

A comment

From what I understand, the goal of reincarnation is to achieve Nirvana. I am not really familiar with these religions and could be completely off track here. But I have always understood the state of nirvana as one of complete void and bliss. Nirvana, as I understand it, is the RELEASE from the cycle of suffering which is life. So instead of saying that one should live a good moral life in order to AVOID hell, these type religions say that one IS in hell and should live a good and moral life to be released from it. It denies escape, even in death, to those who do not make the right decisions in life. Much as do other western religions.

18. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

kmguru
    Reincarnation does not exist. It is a suggestion to keep people honest in this life and society...therefore it should not be frightening....

I find this extremly interesting pls elaborate more. Its not a tactic that has not been seen before ei: The Hindu stories made to teach the common people of elightenment.

Do people need the ever present fear of a god (some kind of reward or punishment) to make them act "good". Why does its matter if morality is absolutly true and written in the stars we are not all knowing and yet we still live. Moraliy may or may not be relevent but its important to the people on this earth. Its important to me to help others and relive even the smallest bit of suffering that I can. Life is suffering and I realize that some times suffering is the only way to learn but endless suffering with out hope is hell. Is the idea of reincarnation just that hope. Is it like tell in some one who has a terrminal illness that they are going to be okay. False hope you know its an out right lie. If these "yogis" had truly reached a state of being where everything was groovy then couldn't they offer any real and lasting hope? Hope being a human concept I am aware. But then there allways is the possibility that all they really where was people pretending simply to give the people hope. I see that as truly a possiblity since it is easy to decieve and philosophy has little to do with enlighenment. Ei: i knew this one guy who was raised by incredibly deep parents and learned many thing but he only learned with the intellect and that is where all was stored. hH did not have a better undestanding of the world or any really peace of mind rather he lived and still lives in torment. All that he learned throught life and experience remained lessons that only the intellectual mind access to. He knows many things but cannot apply them to his life. he cannot undestand why so in turn his heart has closes of and he tries not to feel his own pain. He hurt others not because he is evil and hate filled but because he has only words clutering his head. So then i just say bewae of philosophy if you don't take it to the heart.

:bugeye: Hungry now must make lunch

19. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Fear/Love

Not to simplify things too much, but all choices come initially from fear or love. When you can break it down and learn to choose love every time then you will begin to discover the real control you have. That is what the masters have always done. There message of hope is just that you too can choose love every time. We then get into the discussion of 'free will'. What do we think free will is? Is it truly free will to choose anything if there is a punishment of hell for choosing wrong? What if God didn't care how you chose? Would you still make the same decisions on life matters?

20. kmguru Staff Member

I think, the bottom line is to be happy. Our sensory awareness and perception is geared that way for survival as well as in death. Consider the OBE incidents. Those who returned from almost death report a calm and happy state of death.

So, it occurs to me that one can make decisions to stay happy not just today, tomorrow but until one dies. There are things one should not do, because consequences could be unhappy.

So, I say, dont worry and be happy - let the nature do the rest. After all, no matter what you do, one day you will die and perhaps the mankind will be extinct just like the dinosaurs - that much is certain....

...and the taxes....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Happily Ever After

Ok, so if re-incarnation is a tactic used for hapiness, then it's a succesful one... But what tactic shall we use to reach truth? It seems to me the truth existed before we did. Now imagine we never came in to the picture... Why would the truth be so catering to life? Doesn't make sence does it? NOw lets say life is an inevitable out come of the truthes of this universe thus it would make total sence that certain areas of the universe keep life here... And suppose hapiness is required for survival, then hapiness WOULD be catered to by the universe... BUT, what if it was only catered to a certain point.... But we are smart enough now, to cater to our own needs, and further ourselves, thus we create fairy tales such as heaven, hell, reincarnation, karma to insure our mental survival. This my dilema. I have no evidence suggesting hapiness even being real... Thus I am forced to side with a cold and uncaring universe filled with warm caring idiots (myself included).

22. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Happiness

On the point of happiness...When do you feel happy? Is it when you choose from love or from fear? Not just love for yourself but love for others. When we make the conscious choice of love (which in it's varing degrees include: compassion, generosity, sharing, caring, etc.) then we feel happy. When we make decisions based on fear (anger, jealousy, bitterness, envy, spite, etc.) they don't make us feel happy or good about ourselves.

23. Lady Banned Banned

Recarnation? If only the evolutionary rate was higher each time (cool) however I wondered if it was a higher or lower evolution in the Buddist or Hindi religion......... I forget.