Religion and Human Rights

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by (Q), Dec 5, 2009.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Wikipedia has the following opening paragraph and quote on "Human Rights"

"Human rights are "basic rights and freedoms to which all humans are entitled."[1] Examples of rights and freedoms which have come to be commonly thought of as human rights include civil and political rights, such as the right to life and liberty, freedom of expression, and equality before the law; and economic, social and cultural rights, including the right to participate in culture, the right to be treated with respect and dignity, the right to food, the right to work, and the right to education in some countries.
    “ All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. ”

—Article 1 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR)"

The Abrahamic religions have been heavily criticized for violating human rights as defined above and usually consider their own version of human rights dictated by their gods. Many adherents to Islam, for example, consider human rights a gift from Allah.

"Sharia Law are laws that penalize non-Muslims through heavy taxation; degrade women to second class citizens; authorizes the execution of any Muslim who converts to another religion; calls for the expulsion of Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula; and implements public humiliation, torture, dismemberment, stoning to death and beheadings as forms of punishment." ~~ Mike Ramirez

It's little wonder then why the Organization of Islamic Countries championed and had pushed through on March 26, 2009 by a vote of 23-11 in the United Nations to make the defamation of religion a human rights violation.

The sheer magnitude of stupidity and hypocrisy of such a move is astounding as it demands everyone turn a blind eye to the same theocratic human rights violations Islamic practices exhibit. Welcome back to the Bronze Age.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Who 'entitled' them?

Peace be unto you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

heh. not inclined to agree with you much, but i'm certainly with you on this one.

(see thread on "atheist AND deontologist.")

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

We are entitled to intrinsic rights simply by our nature as human beings. You don't need a reason or explanation for that; this notion is the basic axiom of natural liberty- it's something held as a given.

And it is lamentable that some Abrahamic religions violate human rights. Or, rather, Middle Eastern culture promotes the violation of what we consider to be human rights. There are plenty of Muslims, Christians, and Jews in the Western world that conform to the Western notion of natural rights and liberty; indeed, Christianity was a major influence in the development of that idea.

The problem is that traditional Middle Eastern culture has not developed such ideas, and it causes quite the clash. The Enlightenment seems to have skipped over that region by and large; thanks a lot, Ottoman Empire.

8. earth Registered Senior Member

What is your question? Are you questioning human rights legitimacy?

9. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

I believe the question is self-explanatory- but it seems that it caught you by surprise?

Who entitled them? (Human rights that is...)

Peace be unto you

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well this is rich. you want to talk about hypocrisy, but when do you act towards others in a spirit of brotherhood? imo, you hold animosity towards, and are judgmental and condemning towards people who have different beliefs than you do. i can testify here because i have been on the receiving end of it for a while.

11. mike47 Banned Banned

Agreed .
    I got the same problem .

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

agreed. i'm honestly not sure what people are missing here. rights and entitlements are deontological notions--where the hell do they come from? if one is going to assert that such exist a priori, then one has to account for it. so, let's hear it.

13. Alexander8 Registered Member

America and its Allies after W.W.II.

14. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

lol.... so they gave human rights after destroying all of them imaginable during the war?

Anyways lets cut the joke... its a serious question. Because it identifies the basic problem with the argument posed by (Q)-

Peace be unto you

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'd like to know how the law will be implemented? The defamation of religion a human rights violation? So this means Xian and Muslims must NOT teach that polytheism is wrong? I mean, they can't really condemn polytheism without defaming some Hindu and Shinto. I wondering how it's possible to persecute people who convert from Islam to Scientology and adhere to this law?
    \

16. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Hey, I like this point, Michael!!!

17. Alexander8 Registered Member

The victors always determine the law, which not ironically turns out to be in their favor.

18. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Can you first answer "Who entitled Human rights?".... otherwise anything that comes from this concept is quite meaningless.

Peace be unto you

19. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

And so there is no reason to assume that 'human rights' are some 'ultimate laws' that need not be violated or for that matter even hold any meaning.

If Human Rights are a creation of humans then any other system created by humans also deserves to be called Human Rights leading to this whole argument as a non-argument at best.

Peace be unto you

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

No, I think he is on fair ground. If people are asserting a general rule for humanity, they need to be prepared to follow that rule themselves. Abrahamic religions have a poor history in relation to other religions including pagan and indigenous ones. The heathens and infidels must also be treated well, according to their own formulation. While the OP needs to address your issue and I support you their, Michael is pointing out a potential area hypocrisy, and he need not take a stand on where the rights are coming from.

21. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Hypocrisy or exception? In order to figure this out you must know where the laws are coming from

Peace be unto you

22. answers Registered Senior Member

Are you really suggesting that because you think God gave people human rights that it is okay to violate them in gods name?

I really hope that's not where you are heading with this. It's like a whole new level of wtf.

23. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

No... why would I be talking about God when I know (Q) certainly doesn't believe in one...

My question is quite simple-

Who entitled them?

Peace be unto you