Religion and women.

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Xelasnave.1947, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billvon Valued Senior Member

You have openly admitted to prejudice against women. Not just admitted to it, explained why your prejudice is valid. You own this.
    Again, you have admitted that you pre-judge women as being better at staying home and taking care of kids. "It is better," you state, if the "wife can be a full time mother." That is pretty much the definition of prejudice.

Congratulations, your own words have proven that you have a prejudice against women. Hence, you are a misogynist. Again, by your own words, as recorded here.
    Yes, Jan, you are just like Jesus.

No wonder you're so angry all the time. With an ego like yours, no one else can possibly measure up to your Jesus-like divinity and wisdom.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

That’s not true.
    That is your summary.
    You have to show the point in question.
    Why it is “prejudiced against women”,
    And why you think I am “prejudiced against women”.
    Nothing I have said actually alludes to that idea. It is only your belief.
    Stating being “better” at something ,is not a prejudice against that person.
    That is unless you think nurturing children, the future of the world, the way a mother can, is a rubbish vocation.
    Please explain.
    No I’m not, and I never gave that impression.
    Create a false accusation, then summarise it as though it’s true. Aren’t you embarrassed by your brazenness?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

It's pretty much the definition of prejudice. You have pre-judged (which is where prejudice comes from) that women are better at things and men are better at other things. Women are better at childrearing, men are better at "supporting the family" (i.e. working.) That's the basis of most of the misogyny we have seen for decades.

And you have admitted you believe that. Therefore you are a misogynist. By your own words.

Let's take an example. Someone else says "I am NOT RACIST! It's just a fact that whites are smarter and better at leading people, and blacks are stronger and better at manual labor. So it is better if they are in such roles; whites in leadership, blacks in manual labor. I am saying blacks are BETTER at something! How can I be a racist?"

Would you claim that that person is not a racist because he stated certain groups were better at certain things?
    No one thinks that is a rubbish vocation. What makes you a misogynist is that you think ONLY a woman can do that.
    Not at all. Your own words:
    "what is the difference between me, and [Jesus], with regards to what is written?"

What condemns you here is not me, or Wegs, or James. It is your very own words.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Prejudice - preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
    There is nothing “preconceived” or non experiential in what said.
    In my own experience, and other experiences, women (who love their children) are better at nurturing their children, than men. If I am wrong, then please state any experience, or information that contradicts that.
    You don’t think women are better at giving birth to children, than men?
    Can you show where a man could be better?
    If the wife is pregnant, who do you think the support of “the family” falls on?
    The wife can support to a point, but at some point she has to think about her baby, both before and after birth.
    Do you think she should support the family up to giving birth? At what point do you think she should hand the baby over to the husband, or childcare agencies, so she can continue supporting the family?
    I’m not sure what you’re understanding is, or how/why it has come about.
    I could just as easily say you are misogynist for not wanting to take of your wife at that point in your marriage. It’s one thing to idealise about a society where there are no specific roles for men and women, but it is another thing to put it into practice. The women I know, expect their husbands to step up as the man in their relationship when she is pregnant. Not 24/7, only when it is necessary. There is no dominance in a loving relationship, which is why I refer to it as “natural”roles.
    The term racist wouldn’t come into it, unless race became an issue. Maybe that’s your problem, you prejudge the situation. Just like you accuse me of.
    Another false accusation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You should think things through before you say them.
    To which you replied: “Yes, Jan, you are just like Jesus.”
    Clearly that was not the point I made, yet you introduce it. Why don’t you discuss properly?

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I’m not condemned, you are.
    You have an aversion to “truth”.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

You said women are better at raising children, and men are better at providing for the family. Saying that as a blanket statement is indeed prejudice, since there are a great many exceptions to that.
    Sure. My aunt, who died when her children were small. Her husband did an excellent job of raising their kids.
    An acquaintance of mine who was a drug addict. She loved her kids to death (almost literally.) The court took them away and placed them with their father. It was a much better environment for them.
    In many cases, the woman, or one of the women - because she is the one who is working. And that is 100% up to that family.
    I think she should decide that.
    I think she (and her partner) should decide that.
    Simple.

You have decided that it's better when men support the family and women raise the kids. I think it is up to the people involved. Again, very simple.
    That sentence makes no sense.
    So if someone says to you "it's best if whites are leaders and blacks are manual laborers" you would not see race as an issue and would not think they are racists. And people who do see it as racist are the problem.

That . . . says a lot about you.

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Well yes, but the phrase that does the work here is, "If you consider that angels are a way for God to act n the world......".

That's a very big "if".

Most usage of the term "blessed" merely signifies favoured, or liable to be favoured, by God in some way. There is no assumption made, or implication, of angels.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Jesus never put down women, you do. Jesus didn't look down at women, as weaker/dumber/less logical/more emotional...he approached them often times alone, which was taboo for those times. He preached the Gospel to women with as much zeal as he did with men. He wasn't caught up in social constructs (you are). The idea that men should be educated, and employed...and women should be the ''home makers,'' is a social construct, most likely contrived by insecure men who wanted to control their women. If a couple chooses this, that's fine - but my point is that a woman shouldn't be relegated to not pursuing a career simply because she's a woman. That's not Biblical, whatsoever. Men who promote this idea, misquote and twist Scripture into however they wish to use it for their own means.

I think you have a different idea of Jesus than what is written in the Scriptural texts. That he would approve of your interaction here with me, that he would approve of how you classify me as illogical because of my gender...because you consider me to be emotional. That Jesus would cut me down, and be rude to me as you have been. Perhaps that is the problem, here. Your ''idea'' of Jesus is that he would conduct himself as you would in this thread...gaslighting, talking in circles, making no sense, and humiliating women. That's not the Jesus I'm familiar with.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Luchito and James R like this.
  12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Everything you’ve said is a “blanket statement “. What other kinds of statements do you suggest?
    I believe that in a marriage, the biological children are generally taken care of by the mother. That is not to say that the father isn’t a good career. But mothers and fathers play different roles in the lives of their children. You’re trying to paint a picture of the father going out, working, and leaving everything up to the mother.
    That’s not how loving relationships work. The operative word being “loving”. Both parents respect, and love each other, and their family as a ‘whole’. It can work with extended families providing their is a solid framework. Otherwise the children start calling grandma mom, and their mother by her name. Biological parents who love God, each other, their offspring, and subsequently all life, are the best parents, in my opinion. Why? Because they have love in their hearts and minds.
    But that is not to say that children raised by any combination aren’t loved. Just not in the same way as by biological parents. Stats show that children with both parents do better than children with one parent (mother).
    I haven’t seen any stats for LGBTQ parents as yet, so I can’t comment.
    Luckily the husband/father was still around to take up the responsibility.
    No one is saying a father cannot raise his children. But when you have two parents in the home, the mother generally assumes that role without being pressured into it, unless the family dynamics are bad.
    In modern times it is not unusual that the wife has a better paying job than the husband. So it makes more sense for her to go out and work, while the husband stays home. But even that scenario has pretty serious downfalls.
    That your no roles model is actually prejudice against women.
    Now you’ve brought race into the equation.
    At first I would see the claim as incorrect.
    Then if the claim persisted, I would conclude that the person has a problem with black people.

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

wegs

Your accusations are based on p82, where I said that man naturally heads over his wife. That is God’s will. Jesus accepts God’s will.
    Your analysis doesn’t make any sense.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. The "picture" I am painting is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. What works for you won't work for others. Trying to impose your views on others because you feel they are best is wrong.
    I had two friends in college. They got married after they graduated. When they had kids, he stayed home and took care of them; she was at first a lawyer, then a local politician, so she supported the family financially, and he raised the kids most of the time. Their family dynamics were not "bad." There was nothing wrong with them.
    So not having a prejudice is having a prejudice?

George Orwell would be proud.
    But he said they were BETTER at something! Just as you said women were BETTER at something. What's the difference?

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

In a Christian home, this makes sense. The passage is meant for believers. For us today, “head” means chief person, leader, dominatng etc. In the language of the NT, the word “kephale” means ''head'' but it meant honor, loving, familial, to be servant like. Paul actually told husbands to sacrificially love their wives and honor them, and wives are to submit, but that doesn’t mean to be used as a doormat for whatever the man wants. Paul didn't instruct men to manage their wives, or dominate them. The key is that husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the Church. Paul spoke of the connectedness in marriages - not men ''ruling'' their wives.

No offense, but your obsession with this passage demonstrates that you could be a sexist. It’s a passage that gets a bad rap but that’s because some Christian men use it to abuse their wives, sadly. There is no Biblical basis for saying that men should make all the final decisions in marriages, leaving women to just sit there and take orders. You keep referring to this passage from p82, I'm assuming, to defend why you have these ideas about women? You should probably correct first how you view the passage to begin with, and then maybe your thinking will change.

Having said that - the Bible teaches that “in the Lord, woman is not independent of man nor is man independent of woman.” (1 Corinthians 11:11) The two will become one flesh, etc...

If someone chooses to not believe that Jesus is the Way, Truth and the Life - all of this would serve as nonsense to them. So again, these “truths” are so believers can live a life in an attempt to follow Jesus’ teachings. Iow, if you say you’re a follow of Jesus, the Bible can’t be ignored. But this is why there are thousands upon thousands of Christian denominations - a lot of conflict over these passages.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Have you read post #990?

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Your beliefs and generalisations are not very important, in the absence of facts.

Having said that, I might note that the institution of marriage comes with a whole load of cultural baggage and its own assumptions. Ideas about marriage are constantly evolving, but it started largely as a contractual arrangement to cement bonds between different families or clans.

In patriarchal societies, marriages have traditionally been arranged and presided over by men. In many cases, a dowry is traditionally paid by one patriarch to another to "compensate" for the groom's patriarch taking an inconvenient daughter off the hands off the bride's patriarch.

The idea of a marriage based on a free choice of partner, guided by notions such as romantic love, is a very recent one, and one that is still largely absent from many cultures, or at least a secondary consideration.

Tied to the idea of what a marriage is "for" in a patriarchal society are various notions of traditional male and female roles within the marriage. This is how we arrive at sexist notions, like the assumption that men should rule the nuclear family, and on a wider level the clan, with women being relegated to supporting or servile roles.

Taking care of children, teaching them and raising them, is hard work, and patriarchs assume the power to delegate responsibility for difficult tasks to servants, such as their wives (if they can't afford more menial female servants).

To summarise, then, it may often be the case that "in a marriage, the biological children are generally taken care of by the mother". But it would be a mistake to assume this is a "natural" state of events. Marriage doesn't come from nature. It is a very human institution, which has a purpose. Historically, one of its main purposes has been to better allow men to control women. Part of the institutional arrangement has been to legitimise patriarchal control by men over women.

It is no surprise that you endorse this state of affairs, or that you think this is "how things should be". As a conservative, religious, sexist man, who benefits from a system that reduces his workload and which allows him to control women, in particular, you have a vested interest in telling lies about how the system is "natural" and right.

The sad thing is that, in the modern world, you have lots of information readily available to you, which would allow you to objectively evaluate whether your sexist ideas about marriage and child rearing are the best ways to promote human wellbeing. But instead of looking at the facts, you choose to read ancient patriarchal religious dogma, and to listen to sexist men like yourself who inhabit the same echo chamber in which you were apparently raised.

I assume you mean "carer". Many fathers are excellent carers for children.

That is what you are advocating, is it not?

Which is the "better" of these options: Dad goes out to work while Mum stays at home and looks after the kids, or Mum goes out to work while Dad stays at home and looks after the kids? Make sure you explain why one of these is better than the other.

So it would be fine with you for the mother to go out and work, and leave Dad to look after the kids at home?

In fact, the "extended family" model of raising kids has been the "tradition" for far longer in human history than your preferred patriarchal "nuclear family" arrangement. Have you ever heard the saying "It takes a village to raise a child?"

Do you have rigid ideas about what children ought to call their parents and grandparents, too?

Of course that's your opinion. It's what your religion drums into you.

You're sort of dancing around something important, but you're missing what is actually important. A belief in God is totally irrelevant, of course. Even love for one's wife/husband isn't absolutely required in order to be a good parent. (Not to mention that there are lots of single parents out there who do excellent work in raising good kids. Or to mention that a lot of good kids are raised by people who aren't their biological parents.)

Really? How are you determining the "ways" in which primary carers love their children?

Why do you specify "(mother)" in parentheses, there? What about "(father)"? Do children with one parent (father) do better than children with one parent (mother) or with two parents or with two adoptive parents, or whatever? What stats are you using, and what are your criteria for "doing better"?

As far as raising good kids goes, the sexual orientations of the parents don't matter.

Of course you'd say that. To you, "bad" dynamics are equivalent to anything that doesn't fit your patriarchal, sexist ideal that requires marriage, a patriarchal nuclear family and the rest.

Can children from a family where the father is a stay-at-home Dad and the mother is the bread winner do "as well" or "better" than a patriarchal one in which the mother and father adopt the "traditional" gender roles you recommend? If not, why not? And how do you know?

What are the pretty serious downfalls, and how are you measuring the seriousness?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Jan Ardena:

What's wrong with you, Jan? If you don't know the basics, why can't you spend a few minutes googling?

There are really only two options here: either you're really as incompetent and stupid as you make out, or else you're a troll who is just trying to waste time creating "busy work" for other people.

Here are a few ideas about gender equality, plucked from the first page of a google search:

Gender equality entails such things as:
    • people of all genders living in a safe and equal society
    • people of all genders having equal access to power, resources and opportunities
    • people of all genders being treated with dignity, respect and fairness
    Getting it, yet?

If you need more, trying googling it. It's not hard, Jan.
    ---
    A minute ago you were claiming you don't know what it is. If that's true, it's not a matter of you reminding yourself; it's a matter of you learning the basics from scratch.

It's no wonder you can't recognise your own sexism, if you have no idea what gender equality entails.

Yes we have. Don't tell lies, Jan.

Your opening salvo in this "debate" was about how it is "better" to have a patriarchal nuclear family structure "headed" by a man. Since then, you have gone on to claim that this is the "best" and "most natural" family structure. You also have been busy telling us all in this thread on "Religion and women" that this sexist arrangement is the one your God prefers, too.

No need. We only have to read what you write.

Are you calling me a weak emotional man, Jan? Why? That's just an attempted insult, isn't it?

She has responded to you many times, despite your demands and your rudeness. There's no need for me to make her explain her meaning. She's already done that.

You have been bullying her. You keep repetitively demanding that she respond to you in a particular way, and that she answer questions that she has already answered several times. You keep dismissing her responses as unsatisfactory - like you do with most people who challenge you. Probably you find it hard to take people at face value, because you so habitually dissemble.

Actually, I do, in one sense. When you signed up as a member of this forum, you agreed to abide by our site posting guidelines. If your behaviour takes you sufficiently outside the boundaries of what is acceptable, according to those guidelines, in my judgment as a moderator, I am empowered to issue you with a formal warning.

Typically, this does not exactly amount to control over what you say, since moderation of your posts can only happen after you have said what you want to say. In the long run, of course, I have some control over whether you remain as a member here, which means that I do ultimately get to control what you say here. But you have agreed to this. You continue to agree to it as long as you continue to post here. You're in this with open eyes, by choice.

The truth is, you don't really know how to use that word properly, so you typically use it incorrectly.

I understand. You think that a patriarchal rulebook written by sexist men is actually God's guide to Good Living. Since you don't know what "natural" actually means, you equate it with whatever your rulebook says.

Nothing. You're allowed to be wrong.

Which post? Or, do you have the link? What about single fathers? What about all the other types of child rearing situations?

Also, how far have you dug into the impact of factors that have nothing to do with parental genders? For example, how does socioeconomic status impact the outcomes for children? How do you separate that from the effects of parental gender? How far have you looked into this?

Ooh. Got some secret gossip on the catastrophe, Jan? I can't wait to hear it.

You're sort of reifying things like good and evil again, Jan, which is a mistake. Good and evil lie not in the essences of people but in what people do.

Obviously, we can all make trite statements about how it is better for children not have abusive parents, for instance, but that is irrelevant to your sexist claims about ideal families structured around particular gender roles.

Of course you do.

Don't tell lies, Jan. (Also, I note the nervous tic. You're aware that this kind of trolling has resulted in your being moderated recently, aren't you?)

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Your discussion with wegs is your discussion with wegs. I don't speak for wegs, or for you. I speak for me.

Well, you certainly have at least one half of that definition covered, Jan.

So, you want to make a big deal about how your prejudice doesn't come from hate? Okay, up to you. As I have already said a number of times, at this point I don't care so much about why you're sexist and prejudiced. I just care that you're sexist and prejudiced. Whatever reason you have for that, it can't be a good reason.

Your whole whine at wegs amounts to you repeatedly insisting, in effect, "I'm not a woman hater, but...", inevitably followed by a whole lot of views about how things ought to be, many of which seek to deny equality and agency to women.

Be careful, Jan. So far, you've already had two temporary bans for telling that lie. I'm going to let this repeat slide, just this once.

What I said was this:
    "You don't know if you are causing harm. You shouldn't be oblivious to that. Try to remember there's another human being on the other end of your computer screen."​

That's an appeal to your moral compass, if you have one, not a statement about what you're allowed or not allowed to do.

Don't tell lies, Jan.

Speaking of off-topic, Jan, I might note that this thread doesn't have to be all about you. As usual, you're trying to dominate the discussion with something that is mostly tangential to the topic.

Why don't we discuss the problematic attitude that your religion has towards women, instead? That would be on topic.

I don't think you'd understand, Jan. You don't come across as somebody who is in touch with his emotions.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This is the sort of dishonest trolling hack response that keeps getting you into trouble, Jan.

You should stop that nonsense, with the straw men and the pointless idiotic time-waster questions.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Even as religion, Jan's "analysis" here makes no sense.

First, there is the false conflation of "natural" and "God's will".
    Second, there is the false assumption that "God's will" on this matter is known and unequivocal.
    Third, there is an assumption about Jesus that is not supported by any evidence at all, regarding the specific matter under discussion.

Just faulty reasoning piled upon untruths and dubious assumptions.

22. Dicart Registered Senior Member

In my opinion and it seems to be some consensus about that in the monotheist religions, there are technicaly some Angels involved when God favour something or someone in this world.
    But you dont need to agree with that particular point, to understand that the Bible and other things or peoples are protected by God to achieve His will.

If God need to protect Harry Potter's stories, He will too.
    It is unlikely in my opinion, but you could sometime also consider that it is a good thing to have "bad things" remaining at first so as to have the possibility to compare with "good things" so as to gain knowledge.

This graduate knowledge acquisition is, in my opinion, the reason why we can see some "bad behaviours" showed in the Bible ("bible" mean "a set of textes") or other blessed stories.
    Old Testament is not obsolete, but we dont have to mimic all we can see in there to be right.
    So is also the concept of slave or the condition of women.
    Those who say : Look it is writen in my blessed text, "so we have to do things this way" are wrong.
    Jesus showed us the way to do : He dident respect the established laws (Sabath) and created a new way to serve God (By beeing a Christian).

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ah, thanks, I see what you mean. No I hadn't read that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.