Religion and women.

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Xelasnave.1947, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sure. The first accusations of witchcraft in Salem were all women, and most of the people executed were women. The only reason men got involved at all there is that Tituba (one of the accused women) created a story that a "tall man" appeared in Salem with a book of the devil and other men helped him disseminate his satanic ways to other women. The Salem authorities quoted Genesis often as a way to demonstrate that women were the ones who communed with the Devil, just as Eve communed with the serpent, both leading to the downfall of the societies they were in.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

20% of American women (that's 33 million) have been victims of attempted or actual rape some time in their lives. Only 23% of these are even reported to police.

I'd say that's abuse on a great scale.
    I take it you've never met anyone who was raped. If you had you'd likely not think there was "nothing to be modified in society."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

She compared theist men to flies that she swats away. Sounds like hatred of men to me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

This shows that there were more female witches than men.
    Show hatred of women?
    I don’t know about that.
    But you still haven’t show hatred towards women as yet.
    You still haven’t shown hatred of women, as opposed to witches.
    Where is the hatred of women?
    That’s what I want you to show.
    Don’t worry, I’ll wait?

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

They were executed. Can't get more hate than that.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? I swat away flies all the time. I am sure you do too. I don't hate them. They are just annoying.

wegs likes this.
  10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol

Jan resorts to altering members’ quotes when losing an argument. Nothing new to see here.

I don’t hate anyone, but I will call out misogyny when I see it, even if it’s from theist men. And I never suggested to swat men lol But ignoring men who are misogynists is key to having a nice picnic.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’ve been thinking about the dynamics of this thread and how misogyny has been on display throughout it. There is a guy (actually two now) who gaslights, harasses, lies and bullies the women in this thread who called out his misogynistic posts, several pages back. As the pages go on, he becomes angry, belittling, accusing women of lying and then accuses them of hating men.

This is precisely what misogyny looks like - and why #metoo has had such a following. Women often don’t speak up enough because of what we see here - retaliation, reverse name calling, harassing, taunting, mocking, etc

It’s just interesting to see it unfold throughout this thread.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. If this thread has any value at all, it's as a showcase for what misogyny and gaslighting is.

13. Dicart Registered Senior Member

Saying simple : Jesus professed equality between women and men.

Samuel 18:27
    https://biblehub.com/1_samuel/18-27.htm

Now, you can also take in accound that you have to kill your ennemy and bring back their foreskins.
    Perhaps you will end in jail or most probably in the madhouse...

So what ?

Bible is used for understanding.

It is not a "civil code of laws" (like you could have with the Coran).
    Trying to understand (because it is not "a simple book", and it is by duty...it is a living book) you can observe the evolution of the human behavior within the ages and let your emotion express.
    It is the goal, the perfect behavior actually not achieved, the valor pointed into the futur that is important.
    Not the copying of wrong past behaviour...

So yes, in my opinion, i think that Jesus comprehension was right, Women and Men are equal but not same (this is what makes the equation 1+1 =3 valid), and this is good.
    (This is the opinion i have since i can remember to have an opinion)

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

How do you define "proof"?

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Why does your name come to mind when I read the common sense advice that one should never wrestle with a pig...the pig enjoys it and you just get dirty?

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Probably because you’re a porker
    Or you love bacon
    Or you eat like a pig
    I don’t know.
    Why do you?

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I would look in a dictionary for starters

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Where did Jesus say Women and Men are equal?

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

So were men
    Now where is the misogyny in what you wrote?
    Don’t worry, I’ll wait

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  20. Dicart Registered Senior Member

https://www.cbeinternational.org/re...al/bible-teaches-equal-standing-man-and-woman

https://www.crossway.org/articles/how-jesus-viewed-and-valued-women/

https://www.crossroads.net/media/articles/what-the-bible-actually-says-about-women

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Here's a good piece on the issue that you won't read (but others might) -

=================
    Perhaps the most salient point about witch trials, students quickly come to see, is gender. In Salem, 14 of the 19 people found guilty of and executed for witchcraft during that cataclysmic year of 1692 were women.

Across New England, where witch trials occurred somewhat regularly from 1638 until 1725, women vastly outnumbered men in the ranks of the accused and executed. According to author Carol F. Karlsen’s “The Devil in the Shape of a Woman,” 78% of 344 alleged witches in New England were female.

And even when men faced allegations of witchcraft, it was typically because they were somehow associated with accused women. As historian John Demos has established, the few Puritan men tried for witchcraft were mostly the husbands or brothers of alleged female witches.

Women held a precarious, mostly powerless position within the deeply religious Puritan community.

The Puritans thought women should have babies, raise children, manage household life and model Christian subservience to their husbands. Recalling Eve and her sinful apple, Puritans also believed that women were more likely to be tempted by the Devil.

. . . .

The accused witch Mary Bliss Parsons, of Northampton, Massachusetts, was the opposite of Webster. She was the wife of the wealthiest man in town and the mother of nine healthy children.

But neighbors found Parsons to be a “woman of forcible speech and domineering ways,” historian James Russell Trumbull wrote in his 1898 history of Northampton. In 1674 she was charged with witchcraft.

Parsons, too, was acquitted. Eventually, continuing witchcraft rumors forced the Parsons family to resettle in Boston.

Prior to Salem, most witchcraft trials in New England resulted in acquittal. According to Demos, of the 93 documented witch trials that happened before Salem, 16 “witches” were executed.

But the accused rarely went unpunished.

In his 2005 book “Escaping Salem,” Richard Godbeer examines the case of two Connecticut women – Elizabeth Clawson of Stamford and Mercy Disborough of Fairfield – accused of bewitching a servant girl named Kate Branch.

Both women were “confident and determined, ready to express their opinions and to stand their ground when crossed.” Clawson was found not guilty after spending five months in jail. Disborough remained imprisoned for almost a year until she was acquitted.

Both had to pay the fines and fees related to their imprisonment.

. . .

Witch trials weren’t just about accusations that today seem baseless. They were also about a justice system that escalated local grievances to capital offenses and targeted a subjugated minority.

Women were both the victims and the accused in this terrible American history, casualties of a society created and controlled by powerful men.
    =============================
    https://theconversation.com/most-wi...re-all-about-persecuting-the-powerless-125427

22. Luchito Registered Senior Member

My "verse" mean a whole text, while in your case you have united whatever you found it "sounds" good for your argument.

23. Luchito Registered Senior Member

Your 20% of women victims of rape or attempt of rape have no records, such is only your personal conjecture, which is widely exaggerate, of course.

Only the reported cases are validated, about the the rest, you must find the way to make them count with verifiable support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.