Religion as socially-accepted mental illness

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Magical Realist, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

Is religion not actually a physical illness?
    We have one or two people with Tourette's at Uni, and their actions are often far less obvious than those of the religious societies.
    Can the religious people help their physical actions?
    Their praying?
    Their regular attendance at church?
    Their effort to convert others?

At least those i know with Tourette's apologise if they offend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Darth Behemoth Registered Member

First, all of you are wrong. Mentally ill people, in general, Don't kill people. I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Schizoafective Disorder. 3-5% of mentally ill people kill individuals. 95% of people that do are most likely sociopaths, which is classified as a Character Disorder. Please note that as of now their is no cure for Character Disorders like sociopathology. No medicine on earth will cure them. Second of all, when I take my Serequel and Depakote I'm FINE. Third of all, such talk encourages stigma and is an expression of ablism, which is judging people by their ability, Fourth, were PEOPLE first. I'm not a "Schizoafective" or an "Obsessive-Compulsive", I'm a HUMAN BEING that has to deal with different disabilities, and the challenges they bring. Fifth, a disability or mental illness does NOT describe the entirety of my being. I am a HUMAN BEING with skills, skills, talents and dreams. Yes, if Jesus WAS mentally ill, he STILL was charismatic, a good speaker. At no time does it take that away. Lastly, I DON'T need any pity or feeling bad from you. If you do so , then I say a hearty FUCK YOU to you and your wasted, pointless pity. I deal with what I deal with, as we ALL deal with our own problems.

Darth Behemoth

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

I agree. When I look back to when I was a Christian, I was way to concerned about pleasing God that altruism was drowned out. It can be argued that the ultimate motivation for a religious person is for his or her own sake.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

I am glad I am mentally ill

8. arauca Banned Banned

But as you pleased Him you pleased human . But now you please yourself only . So do you see how stupid is your statement