Religion vs science

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lara, Nov 7, 1999.

1. lara Registered Member

The very sensitive subject of science vs religion is one that i feel very strongly about. I am an athiest and so do not belive in a god. that is not to say that there isn't one, just that I personaly don't belive there is.
    I think that science can often just stomp over all oppressers but I do belive that the quest for knolladge is a very tempting interest to follow and I would love to be an astronought when I am older.
    people just need to understand that there is no one way of seeing which you should follow, religion, or science.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. truestory Registered Senior Member

Welcome... The two need not be mutually exclusive.

A viewpoint on topic, I believe:

http://mb-soft.com/public/duality.html

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited November 07, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Lara- Look for posts from 666. His signature is a quote from Max Born that you may be interested in.

Good luck in your quest to become an astronaut. That was my dream until another goal took higher priority. I wish you the best. If you want to know what subjects you should study to give you the best chances at realizing this, ask at NASA's newsletter homepage. If somebody would have told me when I was younger, that other goal might not have taken higher priority.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Lara
    Thanks for starting this topic. It's been many years since I was involved deeply in the study/search for the "Truth". Therefore, I don't feel equipped to get into any really deep debates. Also I'm a lousy speller and my writing skills are pretty poor. Not that I don't try, but I'm dyslectic, which in my case it effects my spelling and writing. Anyway, I'll try and make my point.
    I really don't think that Science, Religion, Philosophy, Logic, the Bible or any other form is able to define, and/or prove that there is/is not a "God". If there is a "God" he/she is beyond definition and apparently doesn't wish to be known at this point and maybe never will.
    I think some people do experience the sensation of feeling nearness or knowing of God. I feel like I have had this feeling myself at times. But to call this the "Holy Ghost" and say it gives you special insight to understand the meanings of the inconsistencies of the Bible is a little too much. At times it seems like some of stuff was written for the twilight zone. "Aliens are Satan's Demons". Please……………….
    And to say "Science proves that God doesn't exist" is also a bit too much. Science never has been and never will be the last word, as some people would like us to believe. How many times has Science been wrong …….. a hell of a lot of times.
    I think debating is great. Some times you can learn a lot. But its sad to see the name calling and dodging of the issue by using something like the "Holy Ghost" as a crutch. We are in deep trouble in the World now and we really need a lot of listening and accepting each persons right to believe as he/she wishes without trying to push our view on other people, providing this belief causes no harm to others who choose to believe differently.
    I continue to search in a smaller way, and do hope some day some light will be put on the subject, but I'm sorry to say I really don't believe this will happen. Good luck to the ones who continue the search. I enjoy reading debates that are well thought out. I wish I had that ability to put it down in words as some of you do.

8. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Zapper -

You seem to have no trouble expressing yourself!

Don't sell yourself short - your post was AT LEAST as grammatically correct as others I've seen here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Besides, I'd much rather read a well thought out post with terrible spelling and grammar than one that is dribble, even if the dribble is spelled correctly.