Religious Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids? I ask because I've been smacked for less.
I have been threatened with a handgun by a fundie Christian, specifically that he would get it from his glovebox and blow my head off, for being "against God" (I made a joke about some versions of God having a lot of arms to jack off with - you had to be there, 3AM on the loading line).

Fundies are dangerous. People who believe absurdities do end up committing atrocities - it's not just a saying.

Kids? I ask because I've been smacked for less.
Yes, four 14 year olds beating on a 10 year old peaceful soul who just wanted to share some science.....:rolleyes:
Fundies are dangerous. People who believe absurdities do end up committing atrocities - it's not just a saying.
I agree. Fundies have been dangerous since the onset of religious practices. Exclusivity is build into the very fabric of religion. Exclusivity breeds prejudice. False Gods are not allowed....riddle me that one.

Hypatia is a perfect example of having been torn apart (literally) for teaching astronomy.
https://www.ancient.eu/Hypatia_of_Alexandria/

Of course. Funny how some of the best-educated and frankly, brutal chess players I've met were Jesuits. And that priests are the first to laugh at the church's ritual and dogma.

I fear playing a Jew at chess, but for blintzes or latkes, any time. There is no god but Carlsen, and his name is Magnus. (Maybe Mikhail Tal should be on the totem pole, but that's so last century.)

Whether written by a single man, twelve monkeys, or thirteen ghosts makes no difference. It's still bullshit.

:eek:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:rolleyes:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:p~~~~~~~~~~~~~:(

Is god being a bit sexist or is there a meme which says

Kill every man who has slept with a women

But all the young men who have not known a girl keep them alive for yourself

So see if I have this right

Humans are being instructed to have grasshopper sex

:)

///
Have you not read the Holy Babble? It reflects the extreme sexism & misogyny of its time.
It is evidence there is no omnipotent goddess.

<>

Last edited:
Have you not read the Holy Babble?

Long time ago

Forgot most of it

Tonight, fortuitously, QI ask a question of the panel

"How many sheep were taken on the Ark?"

And slipped in this detail - HB is the only book which references the Ark

So can you answer about the sheep from memory?

Long time ago

Forgot most of it

Tonight, fortuitously, QI ask a question of the panel

"How many sheep were taken on the Ark?"

And slipped in this detail - HB is the only book which references the Ark

So can you answer about the sheep from memory?

///
The common misunderstanding is it is 2 of each animal. It is 2 of some & 7 of others.
I do not recall which applies to sheep. I could find out very fast.

<>

For every googlable meme there is an equally googlable explanation
https://forums.catholic.com/t/numbers-31-17-18-how-to-defend-this/114421/2

While I’m not certain as to the precise nature of your question, the quote is in specific reference to the Midianite women and children who were taken captive after Israel defeated them in battle. The rationale for killing the male children is so that they don’t grow up seeking revenge. The rationale for the killing of the women was that they were the ones who had gotten Israel into the whole mess (read several verses previous):

“So you have spared all the women!” he exclaimed. "Why, they are the very ones who on Balaam’s advice prompted the unfaithfulness of the Israelites toward the Lord in the Peor affair, which began the slaughter of the Lord’s community."
Num 31: 15-16

The Quran references Noah, his boat, and the Flood.

Noah's Ark (Hebrew: תיבת נח‎; Biblical Hebrew: Tevat Noaḥ) appears in the Genesis flood narrative (Genesis chapters 6–9) as the vessel in which God spares Noah, his family, and a remnant of all the world's animals from a world-engulfing flood.

The Genesis flood myth is similar to numerous other flood myths from a variety of cultures, especially the Sumerian flood myth of Utnapishtim from the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is the most likely source of the Genesis flood myth.[1] The earliest known written flood myth is a Sumerian flood myth found in the Deluge Tablet in which the hero is named Ziusudra.[2] The story in Genesis is repeated, with variations, in the Quran, where the ark appears as Safina Nūḥ (Arabic: سفينة نوح‎ "Noah's boat").

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah's_Ark

Dilemma - is a knock off plagiarism really a new independent reference?

But I no real quibble from me

Cheers

The rationale for killing the male children is so that they don’t grow up seeking revenge. The rationale for the killing of the women was that they were the ones who had gotten Israel into the whole mess (read several verses previous):
That's God's rationale?
Genghis Khan didn't have to rationalize capturing virgins and handing them out to his soldiers - of course, the Great Khan didn't have priests involved.

Yup. Rape is just a spoil of war. So happy we have this universal guide to morality we can use to instruct our children. After all, you can't replace it without some serious and sincere pondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back