Religious population

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Saint, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mazulu Banned Banned

I'd like to hear your story via inbox mail.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mazulu Banned Banned

This website is possessed by the devil and hordes of demons. We should perform an exorcism.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bells!!! What are you doing on the ceiling?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

Go and post some science article

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mazulu Banned Banned

I posted a science article about the LHC. But I think Number 9 Bus Shelter missed it.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

@ Mazulu - Daily To Do List :

1.) - preach...fail...REPEAT!!!

2.) - place coherent/logical/open/honest Posters on ignore list...

3.) - continue...preach...Fail...REPEAT...ad infinitum

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That wasn't a question, it was a simple statement. What are we supposed to do with that? Stop playing the victim and start a proper thread, you know, put some thought into it. No one is discriminating against you.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What was her name?

11. Yazata Valued Senior Member

My suspicion is that might be a little high. But it's probably not off by a whole lot. There's maybe 1 1/2 to 2 trillion Christians, I guess. Many of those are nominal.

Your pie-chart might give 'Chinese traditional' too low a count. My impression is that the Chinese government intentionally undercounts religious adherence in China.

All in all, I think that counts of world religious numbers are imprecise at best. Counts like these sometimes come from Christian groups in the West, who will often tend to overestimate Christian numbers. Some countries count religion in their censuses, others don't. Some countries' censuses are more reliable than others. For some countries, in Africa particularly, all that exist are rough estimates that might be way off in some cases.

It's interesting to talk about, but I wouldn't place a whole lot of confidence in the exact numbers.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

arauca:

I'm not a New Zealander. Your thread was closed because it involved preaching and there was nothing to discuss. Please read the site rules before posting again.

Mazulu:

I was about to issue you with a warning or infraction for one or both of these posts, then I saw how many infraction points you have.

So, here's how it's going to be:

This time, I let you off.

The next time you insult a member here, or troll a thread, or flame somebody, or otherwise breach the site rules, you will be banned permanently.

This will apply unless your current infraction count reduces below 4 points.

I hope you're clear on this. If you want to go out with a bang, now's your change to hurl some insults at me. Or, if you'd prefer to stick around for a while you might spend some time considering how you intend to change your posting style.

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Death by mod in 3.....2......1

14. Mazulu Banned Banned

Oh no!!! What will life be like without the constant stream of negativity and cynicism from the scienceforum.com?

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...f-being-surrounded-by-positive-people-177962/

James R,
    What I don't understand is if we're so technologically advanced and smarter than passed generations, then why is this forum filled with trolls? Why are there so many negative people here? What is the point of creating a civilization where people are so rude to each other? After all, the lower 98% looks up to the smartest 2%, the physicists, the scientists, the doctors and engineers for guidance. But where you have brought us to is a culture of trolling, flaming, death anxiety, apathy for the suffering of others, disdain for the emotional well being of others. If were not singing kumbaya in the streets, then were doing something wrong. Instead, there are bloggers who will see the word "kumbaya" and be filled with anger because they see the world through the lens of cynicism. For all your superior intelligence, all you've done is create hostility in a troubled world.

I'll take my perma-ban now and begin my search for a forum of positivity, spirituality and happiness.

15. arauca Banned Banned

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Mazulu, SciForums may find what it would "be like without the constant stream of negativity and cynicism from" one of the most prodigious Posters of such, if they were banned.

Mazulu, the ^^above^^ diatribe does not owe its conception to SciForums - it is, in its entirety, the creation of a Poster whom repeatedly boasts and brags that he does not "understand" quite a lot of..."things !?"...

Mazulu, whether or not you choose to "take" a "perma-ban now" is entirely your decision to make.

Seriously though Mazulu, any search for " positivity, spirituality and happiness" should be conducted and realized in the REAL WORLD!

Any kind of virtual "positivity, spirituality and happiness" can only offer a hollow, empty and not even "reasonable facsimile" of any TRUE "positivity, spirituality and happiness".

Mazulu, even though I may "seem", by you, Mazulu, to be one of the "Trolls...negative people...rude...flaming...cynics...death anxious...apathetic...disdainful...angry...etc." that is the subject of your "rant" ^^above^^, and am on your "ignore list", I honestly would not prefer to see you "perma-banned"!

Mazulu, as always, I am tying my best to be honest, open and rational with you...accept my thoughts as you choose, but I hold no malice for you or anyone else in reality...or in this Virtual environment!

Mazulu, please consider your given options carefully - permanent is indeed permanent - so in this case...at least...seriously think prior to acting!

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

2 Trillion?
    Trillion????

If God was looking for high numbers he would have made Jesus an ant instead of a human.
    According to "Collection of Amazing Facts" published in 1983,
    there are one quadrillion (1,000,000,000,000,000) ants living on the earth at any given time.

In this case, Jesus could have been killed with a magnifying glass.

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Oops.

I meant billion. I guess that I became kind of entranced by the US federal budget, where trillion is the new billion.

Yeah it's true. We typically ignore them and they typically ignore us. But biologically speaking, ants might arguably be just as successful as human beings are. (They've certainly been around far longer.)

(Holldobler and Wilson, Journey to the Ants, Harvard U.P., Page 1)

The same authors say that in the Amazon rainforest, ants collectively have several times the dry bodymass of all vertebrates combined, freshwater fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals including humans. So in that environment, ants are arguably the most successful form of animal life by a pretty good margin.

Given their unheralded qualities, maybe we should imagine that there was a little six-legged insect Jesus, who died for the sins of all the ants under the magnifying glass.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mazulu,

First, it's an internet forum. Trolls love them. Second, we're fairly easy-going here in terms of moderation when compared to other sites on the internet that aim at intelligent discussion, so trolls can stay here for a while before they eventually get kicked.

For a number of reasons, with anonymity being high on that list, the internet tends not to sanction negativity in the same way that "real life" does.

There are other reasons more specific to this forum, too. For example, we allow (in fact encourage) discussions of controversial topics such as religion and politics. These are often not considered polite dinner-table topics for conversation because they so easily inflame some people.

I don't think that's always true. People look to all kinds of sources for guidance, including friends, family, religious leaders, media outlets and the internet.

Is that a generic "you" in that sentence? Or are you specifically blaming me for the culture you perceive here?

Are you anxious about death, Mazulu?

I'm not sure whether you are requesting a permaban. Please confirm this by PM to me if that is what you want.

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

How does this make you feel Kitteh?

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

22. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

[Mod note:
    I intend to allow discussions that members, by their replies, tacitly agree are "worth having". This includes those who engage with Mazulu and other potentially inflammatory posters. So members can, in some sense, "vote" with their replies. Those who post off-topic and troll will be more severely handled if others are not engaging them (report the post instead). If you are engaging a trouble poster, I will assume that you enjoy, appreciate, or otherwise approve of their contribution here.

That said, threads will not devolve into flame wars, and the Religion forum will no longer be the haven for insults and trolling. Trolling and inflammatory posts do not justify response in kind, and "he did it first" is no excuse for anyone violating the posting guidelines. ]

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Bells isn't on the ceiling. It's trick photography.
    Bells is actually lying on a floor painted to look like a ceiling.
    Then they turn the photo upside down.
    Good acting though, Bells.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013