Removal of Tiassa as moderator

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Dec 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What is the reward that a member doesn't already have if we're just talking about interest in the
    subject? We're all human so that's hardly a valid distinction. There's plenty of forums, in all subject matters, where the moderators may or may not offer their perspectives without trying to dominate every thread

That's something that usually wouldn't happen without the "power" of being a moderator. It would get annoying and they would just be put on ignore. Some "socialization" occurs among the members and they tend to get along to one degree or the other. That's rarely the case with James or Tiassa, wouldn't you agree?

If this was a business, you were the owner, how would you grade the moderators of a site that has lost most of its traffic? Most of us get along with each other to one degree or another. Tiassa and James seem to get along with no one. That's not an ideal trait for a moderator is it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't think being dispassionate is all that important. Being fair is.

People being people, if someone is passionate about (for example) Trump, then any anti-Trump person who tells someone else "fuck YOU!" and gets a warning is going to see it as a partisan attack from a biased moderator. But that's their fault, not the moderator's. (Provided the moderator isn't goading them or something.)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I mean 'dispassionate' in a 'not directly involved' capacity.

It'd be nice if there were more people who had the right balance of wanting to moderate some given subject without also wanting to participate in it.
    But it's unrealastic.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think participating is fine, just not dominating it. The Crypto thread is a good example. All the talk about ridiculous standards of revealing vested interests such as "did someone pay you to say this", "how much crypto do you have" "you have a vested interest because comments on this forum may move the price of Bitcoin". All that is just beyond the pale.

No regular member could be that disruptive. That's just not what moderation is normally for. That's having a quirky personality and trying to push that off on the rest of the forum and the subjects discussed and not discussed.

Moderators usually try to encourage discussion on the forums. Not here.

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

that sounds extremely disingenuous coming from someone aspiring to a theological degree.

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

are you not entertained

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Like I said, there was an occasion when a moderator responded↗ to a complaining member by asking:

So who do you think undermines this forum more?

Someone who goes at length to research what is being posted, is able to back up any claims with evidence? Or the one flaming with one liners and whining about posts that are just too long?

That's a rhetorical question. The answer should be obvious.

And, sure, three years later, we see how much people disagree with that. It's not like there's any master list to put your name on, but, yes, people can figure out where you stand on that count.

Also, one of the things about being the new guy is that you might say things like "science site". This place hasn't been a "science site" for years; 2017↗, for instance, when my assessment↗ of the question was that Sciforums hadn't been a "science site" for over a decade. So, sure, you're only off by a bit over fifteen years.

And that's the other thing; there isn't any point in pretending your routine is actually new. It's kind of like, yes, I'm sure you're making a fine argument about whatever fancy your imagination has spun, but its relationship with reality is about on par for its general class of make-believe, and just as useless. And we've seen it before.

11. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

My UG was applied biology with modules in physics and chemistry.
    Absolutely everything after that was reading pop and scholar scholarship on the Bible.

12. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

13. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

So, do you care about science? A science site like this?
    Mathematics?
    Physics?

14. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Yeah Pinball, Tiassa likes to shoot first then ask questions, because 'he' knows everybody here is a Nazi, gay bashing white supremacist.
    And there's Tiassa doing the same, but taking 'his' usual 1000 words to do it.
    So, shoot first because you have seen it all before. Lucky this trigger happy mod is now out to pasture.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Again, the newbie inquisitor is hardly a new routine, around here.

Remember, part of ... oh, right, you wouldn't remember. Anyway, part of what has these people so upset with me is that I'm the moderator who sought reliability in discussions of science. For instance, if I ask you for a scientific definition of beauty, it's not any standard of mine, but part of the "science" that goes on around here.

Your turn: Do you care about the integrity and reliability of the "science"?

(Again↗, it is long-established that Sciforums is not a "science site". The thing is that if people wanted it to be, it could be, but they don't; that part's a longer story.)

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Uh - you're not expecting an acutal straight answer, right? Not really how he rolls.

17. geordief Valued Senior Member

If it wasn't so trivial it would be disconcerting. We are free to ignore the troll now.

18. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Yes

19. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

I disagree. There are members who are interested in aspects of science and have posted on it.

20. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Great idea for a New Year’s resolution.
    Starting 16 days early...Clicking now.

21. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

There is a difference, though, between what you observe in this statement and this site being a "science site". I mean, we also have members who are interested in aspects of religion, and/or philosophy, and/or paranormal, and/or other stuff, yet we are not a "religion site" or a "philosophy site" etc. It seems this site is, predominantly, a rather casual "talk about anything in any manner" site, as long as you don't cross whatever boundaries the moderator community have seemingly woken up that day wanting to implement. It panders when it suits to the pretence of serious scientific discourse, but, well, it's a paper-thin veneer at best. Not that the underlying chip-board quality isn't useful to those looking for a cheap fix. Ikea have made a fortune from it, after all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think it is a general discussion site regardless of the site name. It has sub fora for most general topics and I'm fine with that.

foghorn likes this.
  23. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Yes, I'm fine with that too, I would say most are. It's the style of modding letting the site down.

Seattle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.