Removing sticky residue.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Facial, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Facial Valued Senior Member

My first post.

Removing certain types of adhesives was a lot more cumbersome than I ever thought! I just tried removing sticky residue off a surface that came from one of those paper labels, but a lot of household solvents don't work. Not until my mom gave me ethyl acetate, which I cannot find around the house a lot.
    Acetone, isopropyl alcohol, hot water, dishwashing detergent don't work.

Do you know, by any chance, of common household solvents/combination of solvents that might work?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You might try mineral oil, although it's easy to just make the mess a lot worse with it if you aren't careful.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Citrisolve, its natural.
    Acetone usually works on anything (nail polish remover), but there is also mineral spirits, laquer thinner, and abrasives like toothpaste.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yep, second vote for oil. Any spray lube type stuff will do. Vegetable oils can work quite well, try a little sunflower oil, olive oil, or whatever you use to fry with. Work a little onto the sticky patch the label left, leave it to dissolve the glue, and wash off using liquid soap, or washing up liquid.

8. Facial Valued Senior Member

wow. thanks guys

9. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

Yep...............whatever you do, don't ever use auto paint thinner/reducer to clean the gunk off of most kinds of plastic!!!! God**am* man, last year, I bought a brand new disposable cigarette lighter & decided to tear off that stupid fire warning sticker, that's stuck on the side. Well, I then had to try to clean off the gunk & not gasoline, lighter fluid, nor "Windex" glass cleaner would do the job.....................So, I found some "Dupont" Centauri (paint enamel reducer(almost just(kinda) like laquer thinner))). BAD MISTAKE ! ! ! I put some of the sh**it on a towel and wiped the the lighter off clean.........

But about ten seconds later.............SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH>>>!@ !!!!!!!!!! I thought the damn thing was gonna explode & threw it across the shop ! ! !

The reducer/thinner ate through the plastic in the disposable lighter & all the fluid leaked out! The worst part was that I had to light all my cigarettes the rest of the night, while posting at sciforums, with a welding torch!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I also tried a similarly stupid trick about a couple years earlier when I used paint thinner to clean the adhesive gunk residue off of an older laptop power notebook.............it melted the plastic.............!!!!!!!!!

ps....A year or two back..........I was tryng to clean some kind of protein (bird/bug guts, ect.... ) off of my pickup truck........

well, I had some stuff that was aceytone, err...acytone, err.....assytone, ...oh hell.........just like lighter fluid ! ! ! Shit!....

ANYHOW,THE SHI*T DIDN'T WORK. NO MATTER HOW HARD I SCRUBBED, THE CRAP WOULDN'T COME OFF.

Finally, out of frustration, I found some window glass cleaner (generic Windex type cleaner from the Dollar General) &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& VOILA>>>>>>>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the bug/bird guts stuff came right OFF ! ! ! ! ! ! !

It seemed/seems weird to me that the harsher cleaner/solvents couldn't do what a little Windex did in a couple of seconds ! ! ! ! SEEMED DAMNED SCIENTIFIC TO ME AT THE TIME.....STILL DOES ! ! !

But petroleum solvents dis-solve petroleum products........yet may have No real effect on other types of chemicals........????????Weird.........How weird?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  10. Facial Valued Senior Member

Yikes... that sounds bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.