Rename Merged Forum!

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by ElectricFetus, Jan 21, 2004.

?

Do you agree with the name change to alleviate possible confusion and overload?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2004.
  1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The merger of "Nerd Culture" and "Computer Science" has passed, a possible good idea as both subjects were very related. But the new name “Computers and Technology” could have very drastic consequences! For example lets say I wanted to post about a new form of laser eye surgery? It’s a technology as opposed to a science I would have to post it under a sub-forum with technology in it, so I would post it under “Computers and Technology” right next to “Halflife2 vs Doom3” and “How to overclock your CPU”

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

that does not sound right to me. Lets try again: "Direct Alcohol Fuel Cells are now on the market!" would go in right next to "internet explorer question" and "Halo!!!"

Ya to prevent confusion and post overload I think “Technology” should go back with “General Science” (“General Science & Technology”) and “Computers and Technology” should be renamed to something else, such as “Computer Sci&Tech” or “Computer Culture”, ect you guys figure it out I’m not good with names as I take them very literally.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

"Computer Culture" would be a better name, IMO.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I agree with static, but it needs more flare... "Uber l33t Computer Culture" sounds much better.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Hey who said "no" and way?

8. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

How about "Computer Nerds Talk" and I like the "General Science & Technology" suggestion.

Seems to me that people are voting in this poll to agree with the merger rather than what the poll actually asks.

9. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Oh, EXCUSE MEEEE!

I thought the name change first made was what was referred to in the poll question. I think that is what you meant! See, you didn't even get your own poll question right

I'm all for the name change you suggest sort of...

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I specifically made the question vague because I wanted you to read first, I thought it would be confusing enough to get people to read, guess I was worrg. Why do you think the name should not be change (the change I’m asking for?)?

11. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

I don't think the poll question is all that clear but then maybe it is me that is fogged as others seem to have understood. I AM for a change from what it is now. I'm not for the change of what it has become. The names you suggest are okay, I guess.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think that static made a real good suggestion:

"Computer Culture"

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I've already posted in The current forum an Idea, but it's up to you that use it to help make sure it morphs to the way everyone appreciates it.

What if the current forum name was double barred (Two identifying names) and inside the forum was a sub forum for Computers & Technology?

The idea being that the original problem was Nerd Culture content messing up the Computer & Technology forum before, so the first forum that is shown is the Nerd Culture one so the average person will post directly there.

There is then a sub forum of Computers & Technology where the more indepth conversation topics are placed, and the likelihood is it won't be messed up by Nerd topics.

What would have to be declared is what information should be contained within each forum, If someone places a question about a graphics card which forum does it go? If someone writes about a new graphics card (A report) which forum does it go?

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Stryderunknown,

I disagree "technology" should go back with "general science", what if you wanted to post about a new prosthetic arm or a synthetic muscle polymers, what that goes in nerd culture?!?! These are not computer related subjects, but they go there now because of “technology”. Yes right next to which “quake mod is the best?” and “how to read l33t” that is not funny! even it if when into a sub-sub-forum under nerd culture thats going to look bad.

that it I'm going to start posting tech stuff in there, it says I can! you see what I mean!

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well thats why I suggested its something to be ironed out.

My suggestion was just a suggestion, but the idea was that you are confronted with the first place that most common board dwellers should post, before being granted access to the higher forum.

Although that would look bad to yourself and perhaps others having that appear as a forum link at the top of a nerd culture forum, it would however be ergonomically correct, since it focuses on trying to keep the generalised topics out (Meaning a lot less moving posts around etc).

16. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Why not simply reanme it to - Computer Technology?

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sounds good to me.

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I like confusion and overload, but I voted against it for you guys! (sniff)

19. CuriousGene Supreme Allied Commander Registered Senior Member

I miss the old "Computer Science" name. With that name, it was pretty damn clear what the forum represented. Now, it's too vague. I think a strict "Computer Science" forum is great to have here at sciforums seeing as how we have other subjects such as biology, physics, math, etc.

"Computer Culture" is too vague still. I mean, what does that mean? You'll still have people posting about games and help with their OS, and others who want to talk about algorithms and design.

20. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

It is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.