Resources For Learning About Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by mmatt9876, Jun 17, 2019.

1. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

OK. Apparently Linux Mint doesn't automatically install the standard C headers when you install GCC for some reason. It's difficult for me to tell exactly what packages you need since I'm not personally using Linux Mint, but try installing the package "libc6-dev"
    Code:
    $ sudo apt install libc6-dev
    or if that doesn't work try "build-essential".

mmatt9876 likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

build-essential worked for me and allowed my to use C and C++ in Atom and CodeBlocks. Thanks! I also got Java to work in Atom and Eclipse. I had the JRE installed and all I needed was OpenJDK.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am still continuing to use Linux Mint and I am writing a novel and coding with it. I am also learning how to play games on Linux Mint.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

If you like technical stuff (like programming), you may want to look into learning LaTeX (https://www.latex-project.org/). It's a free software document preparation system that scientists use to typeset articles and occasionally books.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  8. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

What exactly is typesetting?

9. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I did some research on the LaTeX website and quickly discovered typesetting is the design side of a document, rather than the content side.

10. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Linux Mint 19.3 is out! I cannot wait to check it out! I have Linux Mint installed alongside Windows 10 on my computer, and I had recently upgraded from 19.2 to 19.3, but I have not yet fully checked it out yet. I mostly use Windows 10 because it supports most of my programs.