Respect is a modern luxury

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by gendanken, Aug 3, 2004.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

But note: the tribe, originally, is defined by blood, it is pre-choice, it is a matter of fact.

The modern tribe based on choice is a farce.

A hint, since an axblow would disable you from learning something: The true revenger does not speak of his revenge.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Rosa,

Ok.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just so you know, get your goat is an American phrase that basically means makes you angry. Nothing to do with any Slovenian translations or anything. I know how you feel about cats.

And, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your axblow. You can really hurt me bad through this machine I bet.

Seriously, I have no clue where we went astray the last time. But whatever.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

It is exactly of this "but whatever" attitude that "we go astray".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Rosa:
    But what value do we place on choice?
    Myself- I'm tied to a Sibling by blood, I hate her with a loathing common between Jews and Muslims.
    Blood is nothing- are you of mind that loyalty is only possible with blood?
    How farcical is it to you to find people of like mind brought together by the things they love in common?
    Einstein had idissoluble bonds with Curie and Besso, Feynaman- another genius surrounded by those of like mind.

Speaking of axes, I was looking at my cat the other day bent over a bathtub licking the waterleak.
    I depersoanlized the situation and thought to myself- this was run over by an idiot years ago.
    This animal that would look this same idiot in the eyes with pure innocence years later thinking nothing would suffer being killed again becuase this moron thinks him a parasite.
    This moron, again years later, will end up on a forum presumably enlightened. He comes off so nice and civil yet with those very hands he uses in typing his tripe were the same ones that bruatalized innocence because of his lovey, wovey gwamma.
    I thought how wonderful it would be to take this idiot out on an island somewhere and dash his brains with an axe.

8. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Shit, gendy, I know xev and wanderer arent around much, but your really beggining to sound like you want to replace both of them.

9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Loyalty is not only possible with blood. But if you remember the old saw, i forget exactly where from, "me against my brother, my brother and I against my cousin, my family against the world." Or thereabouts.
    the family ties are valuable precisely because of the familiarity and the shared genetic heritage, (although perhaps some evolutionists overstate it.) Anyway, when you are in a primitive society, your family is your fist port of call, and from that you build up linkages and such across families, tribes etc. Politics is important.

I dont quite understand your cat thing. Are you suggesting that being like an animal is not a good idea? Or that we tend to forgive and forget, especially when we're all anonymous on the internet. (and lets see how much anonymity is prized and increased in the modern world.)

10. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Guthrie:
    Uhm.
    Like *flips hair* yeah they are and I've always been strong willed.

You threadskimming fucking leech- you are of no use here.
    Hasn't even dawned on the man that Invert was a cat killer.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I'm so glad I didnt read all the thread. I have just done so, and its not pretty.

Anyhooooo, your point seems to be based in part upon a ranking of humanity according to some values. Care to tell us what they are? I can see invert nexus's valuing his grandmother over some cats taking food from her, but why do you implicitly award the guy who goes to prositutes more value points than the prostitute?

In fact, you even seem to be going down the road of those people I sometimes call "subjectivists." I'm sure you can work out their philosolphy.

Then death etc wasnt always given out by gods, it was given out by men pretending to be gods, and men to each other due to insult or momentary gain.

What is the point, is that most of us recognise that recognising others is not actually done at our expense, and is often to our advantage.

Comcommitantly, if you owe nothing, you are also owed nothing. So, how does it feel to be standing in the wilderness shivering through lack of clothes, Gendanken?

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

A lot. *Man*, would we like to be *God*.

I am an only child. I don't know what it feels like to have a sibling. Although I have always wanted to have one.

No. But blood-ties are so wonderfully pre-choice, something that is beyond our scope of understanding. I bet you can't hate anyone in such a visceral manner the way you hate someone of your blood. You can break up with a friend, but you cannot really break up with a sibling.

That is, if people of like mind are brought together by the things they *love* in common.

This, the noble way. Grand. But not exactly common and frequent, wouldn't you say?

People of like mind brought together by the things they love in common -- usually results in a cult or political party. How pathetic.

You have a kitty darling?! How absolutely sweet! Now, once cats are mentioned, I tend to get ... um. Well, I'll brace myself.
    But I have a 20-year old cat, we grew up together. The sweetest thing. Oh.

I wouldn't be *that* nice. An axe is mercy. A cat killer deserves hellish pains. I'd kill him the way cats do. But I think the lowlife would die of fear, before I'd even touch him.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You're confusing terms here, Gendanken. The parasite were the wild cats that used my Grandmother. The cats I ran over were not necessarily parasites. I feel guilt over the ones that were ran over. I feel no guilt over the others.

Rosa, these cats that were removed (THE ONES I DON'T FUCKING FEEL GUILTY ABOUT!!) would jump on you and tear you to fucking shreds. They were wild, evil things. They were not your *sweet* pet. If they were tame, we could have undoubtably found homes for *some* of them, but they weren't tame. They were savage beasts. Narcisistic. There was no home for them. There was not even a way to gather them up to drive them to the country somewhere. And if we had, what then? Do you think that would have been a mercy? Do you know what would have happened to these animals in the country? Starvation and death. Probably eaten alive by coyotes. (There are wild predators left in Kansas. Don't know about Slovenia.) Is that what you would prefer, Rosa? Take them to the country and give the coyotes an easy meal? Is that so much better than a bullet through the brain? Hmmm?

This is really fucking ridiculous that you are all obssessing over this stupid shit that happened 15 years ago. If you want to simply say "anyone that kills a cat, any cat, for whatever reason, deserves a slow painful death. Forever and ever. No forgiveness. No understanding. No nothing." Then fuck you. Fuck you all. You're jumping to snap judgments just as much as he who blindly leaps to save a prostitute from drowning just because she's human. Or to avenge the death of that prostitute far beyond it's worth.

I had my reasons. They were good fucking reasons. I've outlined those reasons to you and you refuse to accept them. I can give no better reasons because that's all the reasons there are.

Hmmm. I wonder. Is this what's going on? Are you trying to use this cat example to show how silly this thing is? The way that a murder of even the lowest human is avenged to such a degree? Somehow, I think you may be and you may not be. But, regardless of your intent, you are illustrating how silly it is. By being silly yourselves.

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Things must be done, ugly things sometimes.

But to talk about them with a malignant ease like you do!

To determine which cat *deserved* death -- based on whether you felt guilty afterwards!

That those "savage beasts" *deserved* to be killed!

A man does what a man must do. But a man does not brag about it later on. Neither does a man give his reasons, trying to justify his actions.

Sapienti sat.

15. talk2farley Registered Senior Member

"Neither does a man give his reasons, trying to justify his actions."

Oh, come, Rosa. If an action is not justifiable, said action should not have been taken in the first place.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Oh, you, come. It is about *what* one uses as a justification. Saying that those other cats deserved to be killed because they were "savage beasts" is not a proper justification for me.

17. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Aww, I bet they looked really cute though eh, with their pointy triangular ears and lickle nose

I really want to stroke a cat now and whisper "I will never let invert_nexus near u"

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Malignant ease?! WTF?! Is that how this comes across? I'm defending myself here. I didn't bring it up. This was fodder from a private conversation that was brought into the public domain. I am not easy with discussing these things. I have no guilt over killing the feral cats, but the others I do suffer guilt over.

I think that it doesn't matter how I discuss these matters. I think that you saw the words cat killer and conjured up this 'malignant ease' mentality. You are making me into something that I am not.

What? You act as though I sat on a high chair somewhere looking down upon the kingdom of cats determining which shall live and which shall die. The ones that were run over were random. The others were almost random. The ones that came into sight were killed.

Don't like the term "savage beasts" eh? How about feral? They were not tame. Not at all. They would tear you up if you tried to bestow your precious love on them. All they cared about was fucking, fighting, and feeding. And fleeing, too. I suppose. The four F's. One thing for sure, they had no use for your love. No use for your compassion.

Brag? More like defending myself. Not give reasons or justify their actions? Oh? Is that what you really think? Then I guess you agree with the Nazi's extermination of the jews? They didn't give reasons or try to justify their actions. Seems that you're promoting the law of the jungle with this statement, Rosa.

Personally, I don't think that this is what you really think. I think you just know I've got a good point and you're pissed about it. A cat killer isn't allowed good points.

*sigh* Again with the latin. You realize how much of a *bitch* it is to search about and try to find these obscure little phrases? Especially difficult when you only use part of a phrase.

Dictum sapienti sat est: "The said is enough for the wise" — understandable for a wise one without the need for explanations (Plautus), also as: sat sapienti and sapienti sat.

So, if I had not explained anything then you would have understood? Bullshit. And you know it. Try that act somewhere else.

*sigh* Oh yes. Ignore everything I've said except for one little phrase. Savage beasts. Everything else I've said is absolutely meaningless. Isn't it? All the other reasons of which 'savage beast' is only the icing on the cake.

It's a pity that my grandma is dead and I can't round up a sack full of her feral cats. Now that I know these cat lovers, surely I could have packed them in a sack and mailed them to you, Rosa, and Gendanken. You would have loved them as they deserve to be loved, yes?

Might want to be careful sticking your hand in that sack though. Might pull back a stump.

I still think that this is a means of illustrating the ridiculousness of the endless amounts of time and energy poured into the slightest case of murder.

I wonder if Gendanken meant it to illustrate this ridiculousness or if she just caught up in her own emotion?

I wonder if she would admit to the less than... Gendankeny path?

Hmm.

19. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Respect is a modern LUXURY, Invert, don't forget this.

Those cats you have killed at your grandma's may not have been tame. But the reason they have gone wild is because there are such loveless, lifeless people in the world who do not take care for their animals.

Those cats did not deserve to be killed. I can understand that they had to be killed, but this is a choice between greater and lesser damage, not a choice between good and bad. There is nothing to be proud or be guilty of.

And you can't see further than your nose.

20. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

I think I would rather say that respect is a byproduct of the society.

Please let's not act as if by virtue of being primates, being inately agressive, we cannot somehow rise above this fundamental state of being. For societies to function well, i.e. gorverned entities not ruled by anarchy, certain rules or characteristics have to be present. Humans have lived in socities large and small for thousands of years now. And while it is true that we evolved from smaller clans-- the immediate family for instance, we have demosntrated an ability to free outside from many of our primal ways.

While it is true that consequences faced by a potential murderer may allow for said individual to restrain themselves, I think far more choose not to because of moral, rleigious, etc safeguards we have in place. I for one value our rational self over the primal.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Rosa,

I have to say that that was the most illogical, pathetic reply I've ever seen you make. You ignore all my points, all my logic, don't address them at all. You simply called me an ignorant asshole and my grandmother a lazy, loveless bitch. Two points which are based on your emotional connections to this topic. Seperate yourself a bit Rosa. This is unbecoming to you.

Implying that I don't have this luxury from you? I've know that for quite some time. And for interesting reasons. Oh. Interesting did I say? I mean boring.

Bullshit. Those cats were born wild. They were not made tame. Not by a loveless, lifeless person but one who was overfull of love and compassion. It was her compassion and love towards these cats that allowed her to continue feeding and caring for them as their population grew greater and greater.

You know, for some reason, I see this fate in store for you, Rosa. Rosa surrounded by her hundred cats. Maybe John will come by every now and again to pet your gato. I hope your grandchildren (or grandnephews if you never have your own children) will have enough respect for you to clear some of them away while you're not looking. I hope that you don't die with your cats around you, Rosa. I can see you now being eaten by your loving cats. Your respect and compassion towards them meaningless in nature. You being just another meal by this strange human who cares for them. A last meal.

If there is nothing to be guilty of then why do you wish to kill me? Why do you wish to kill me as a cat kills its prey? Why?

Proud? Again you imply that I am proud of this shit. Nope. So sorry. Try again.

Ooooh. She wounds me. I'm a blind, blind fool. Ouch. How will I ever live this down? I don't think I can. I think I'll go find a wild cat preserve and throw myself to the lions.

Ha!

FountainHed,

You are saying that society is not a modern invention. Correct. But, it's more than mere society. It's the shrinking of the world. Once a society knew it's neighbors and feared the huns. Now, we are all neighbors and the huns are not allowed. We must love and respect the entirety of humanity or we are less then human.

The problem comes from the artificial largeness of the group. Of the all-inclusiveness. To be a group, there must be something outside the group.

Consequences, guilt, and fear. Three warring emotions. Among countless others. Nothing is as simple as 1, 2, 3.

22. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Or if it means that one must pretend to ignore indirect sidewise attacks, attacks that might be denied by the attacker, it means nothing.

This is a trait amongst many of my family. They poke and jibe at each other. Rip and tear. But it's all done with plausible deniability. That way, when one member or the other finally snaps and breaks the 'code' they can say, "He just snapped. I didn't do anything. He attacked me for no reason."

It's called passive aggression and is a common trait amongst our modern respectful citizens of the world.