Respectful moderation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by cluelusshusbund, Mar 1, 2014.

?

All moderation... an mods discussin moderation issues... shoud be done respectfully

1. yes

52.9%
  2. no

41.2%
  3. maybe

5.9%
  1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

@Clueless
    Watch out Clueless.
    Bells is aware of your quest to destroy the ring thang.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I have been reading this stuff for a while now. Here is my $0.02:

In the martial arts we are taught to give respect first in order to get respect in return. This works well enough in the real world that it seems logical to give it a shot here too.

It does appear that folks who have previously been spanked here are the most vocal in this....'discussion'.

I have known many persons in law enforcement and government. There are several reasons to go for those jobs. Some folks take them because they wish to provide a service to their fellow human beings, some take them to provide a service for themselves.

Same thing goes for moderators on an Internet forum. In a public discourse the motivations become evident after a while.

As for the "stay or go away" thing: I make a point of contributing. I value myself, my education, my experience and my contributions. Give me any horseradish and I go elsewhere, your loss - not mine.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Go and pick on your horse!
    Go and tell him he's a bad horse.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, guess what.. you aren't a mod. I think it's rather pointless of you to keep on talking about what you think you may or may not do would you have been a mod.
    By the way, personally I find your conduct in these threads a bit haughty.
    And why your use of quotation marks? Pretty please enlighten me.

Excuse me? I was just reminding wynn of a fact, namely that she can leave whenever she pleases. There was no threat there. Perhaps you perceiving it as such says something about you.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Considering what you would do if you were a mod is a perfectly reasonable subject for discussion.
    Why wouldn't it be?

One thing I would do as a mod is have a closing time for some threads.
    I'd come on and say "I'm the boss now, and this thread is closing in two days. Say what you like till then, punks."

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it's entertaining, but not useful. It's about as useful as fantasizing what you would do with 30 million dollars should you ever win the lottery.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

A lottery, yes. But how about a $30 Million legacy that was coming your way?
    Then fantasising about it might help you decide what to do with the money.
    You could play out different scenarios in your mind.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You think it's coming his way?

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Maybe I've got the whole thing wrong.
    Isn't the position of moderator something you apply for if you have the time and inclination and personal skills to do the job?
    Then, if a position is available, and JamesR considers you suitable for the position, you become a moderator.
    I'm sure he discusses the matter with the existing moderators and with his peers, but that's basically it isn't it?

It isn't a Golden Ticket arriving at your door presented by a footman from a golden carriage.
    Or maybe it is. Enlighten me.

If CH were to ask James to consider him for a moderator post, I can see no reason why it would be rejected out of hand.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In my estimation both events have a similar likelyhood of happening.

Btw, I was asked. I never applied.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I can see that some people might be asked.
    That is one method of recruiting people.
    Possibly the recruiting of moderators could become more open.
    I'm not criticising yourself, but I feel that the current method is not particularly successful.
    Some of the moderators are more "aggravators" than "moderators".

If you were recruiting soldiers, and you found that half of them were pacifists
    you might look again at your selection methods.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

There is no point. I will not be the one choosing or rejecting him.
    Besides, I think I've been nasty enough already..

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Our posts are getting crossed a bit.
    Thanks for that.
    It didn't fit with your character.

I think CH is easily underestimated.
    Fraggle could have some problems dealing with someone with such appalling spelling mind you.

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Even tho ive never read all of 'em an skimmed over what i have read... i dont have a prollem acceptin responsibility if i break any forum rules... but it woud break my hart to have a prollem wit Fraggle who is my frind... an the most entertainin poster at Sciforums

18. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

I have known a few terrible spellers in my time and most of them were pretty damn smart. First, you are very easy to understand and I do not think anyone has a problem in translating your posts, you are extremely understandable. Secondly, your charm and politeness more than makes up for your terrible spelling.

19. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

I will only feed you after a couple of drinks,and it is too early for that, Sir.

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Go on have a drink or two.
    Let the battle commence!

21. Bells Staff Member

You ask for these discussions with the staff, you invite us to take part in them. Do you think it is respectful to respond in such a way when we do respond to you with honesty about what we actually think? Or were you just being snide? The very thing you complained about at the start of this thread.

You asked for my opinion, and I gave it to you. What a shame your response is a snide, rude and sarcastic emoticon. I was actually looking forward to this discussion with you. Ah well, can't really say I am surprised.

Have a nice day.

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes i was bein snide.!!!

The pont ive actualy made is... that "Mods" shoud not be snide when performin ther mod duties... or postin about mod duties... but i dont want "snide" moderated from general posts no mater who makes the post.!!!

I see nuthin productive in continuin this discussion wit you... an lke ive alredy intimated... i thank my expressed opinions will be received in a positive light an be a positive factor in the betterment of Sciforums.!!!

An like Martha Stewart woud say... "Thats A Good Thang"

23. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

In all the years I've been around sciforums, most of the moderators have compassion and are very lenient with posters until they have a reason not to be. Some people in life do not deserve to be treated with respect because they don't give out that courtesy to others. Some posters enjoy the sometimes brutally honest treatment with each other as well as the mods, because they don't have a thin skin or need to put on airs. The thing I like most about sciforums is the plain and open banter, good and bad that goes on between the mods and the posters, most places have mods that don't interact or give criticism where criticism is needed. I don't know of anyone who wants that kind of place around here.

Disagreeing with mods decisions, and asking them to give respect where respect isn't earned nor warranted is asking them to be diplomatic (or lie if you will) when really they shouldn't have to. People should learn that life is rough, no one stands around after you're 18 and hands out Honorable Mentions and damned Participation Ribbons. Don't give in to the entitlement society we are building for our children. It's neither healthy or productive.